WidenersLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Hornady case prep center

Boolit Master

Hornady case prep center

Have any of you members used or purchased the Hornady L&L case prep center? I am seriously thinking of purchasing this and selling my RCBS prep center and the Bonanza case trimmer. At 400$ the it is a spendy unit,but if it works as advertised will be worth every penny.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    Somebody has to of used this tool?
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    I just bought one off the net used.

Too soon to tell ...... but I would not let go of your other trimmer methods just yet.

The Hornady system is noted for drifting on finnished length of around .003" and not being square on the mouth.

For my purposes, that's fine as my hand trimmer ........ a Lyman universal and Wilson trimmers will take up the slack there.

But I wanted a brass hog for case conversions such as .30-30 to .30 Herret and '06 to 8mm Mauser ........ and bulk trimming .223 to close to spec and finnish on the Wilson for my bolt guns.

So the only issue I am concerned about is how the bevel gear will hold up right under the trim cutter. It is said that Hornady is good about fixing this on their dime ........

I think that not pushing the tool to it's limits would improve one's odds on not getting blown into the weeds here.

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    It astounds me that only three44s is using this machine. Some feedback would be helpful.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Go to amazon and search Hornady case prep center. There are 22 reviews posted, plus a few question answered by purchasers. That should give you some idea of whether it is worth the price or not.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

In Remembrance

I have an RCBS electric case trimming set up along with their case prep machine. Have had them since the prep station machine came out. With my arthritis these machines save me a lot of discomfort when doing cases. I agree that the Hornady is a bit on the expensive side for most people that only reload for a hobby and on a budget.Robert

Boolit Master
    I hear ya Robert on those 'ole Arturitis Bros.!

I did get around to cutting on an '06 case and my Hornady prep cut the mouth plenty square ........ in fact every bit as good as my prized Lyman universal ......... that surprised me because to be perfectly honest ....... when I turned on the prep machine the case length cutter was doing a limited wa-too-sey ......... It seems the pressure of the case bearing down on it makes it index better than when there is no vertical load on it ........

........ that might not be a comforting message to the OP ........ but that is the way mine is ..........

For what I paid for mine, I was fully ready to send my just purchased unit to Hornady for a tune up .......... I'll wait and see now after this first successful case trim.

Best regards

Three 44s

For that money get a giruad. It trims, chamfers, and deburs in one shot. http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

Vendor Sponsor

I have one like poster above I bought it for converting 30-30 to 30&357 herrett. Plastic gear gave in less than 100 cases. Now I use a HF mini chop saw and a case holder.
    For std trimming it will do fine.
    No issues at all with tools mounted on front ie: chamfer tools pocket cleaners ect
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I should have been a little more detailed ........ I also figure on a chop saw to rough in my Herrets .........

Best regards

Three 44s

I know this isn't your question and may sound a bit like the "just buy a Dillon 550" but take a look at the Franford Arsenal unit. At 150 bucks it's a good buy (JMO) I have one and it will pretty much do what the Hornady does. I did change out the crimped primer pocket reamer that came with it to an RCBS carbide cutter, other than that it's been a solid unit.