Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Ruger MK II experiences and aftermarket extractors

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota

Ruger MK II experiences and aftermarket extractors

Quote Originally Posted by huntrick64 View Post
    ?!@#$%

I just bought (today) a MKII gov't 6 7/8 target barrel with no case for about the same money. This would have been a better deal for me. I'm usually too late, but this time I'm too early!

MkII was the best model ever produced.
    Ditto, I have two Mark II one just like this one only with a scope and one with the 6 7/8's inch bull barrel with just the Irons, you can't get a more accurate gun for this kind of money. Note, my MKII hunter (with some ammo) will not extract an unfired round, I think it is because it has a target (tight) chamber. Can anyone confirm this?

Tim

Have you changed out the extractor? The volquartsen or KIDD extractors work way better in my rig than factory

Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    Have you changed out the extractor? The volquartsen or KIDD extractors work way better in my rig than factory
    No, I did not change out the extractor, it looks undamaged and not worn. The gun functions fine except for extracting unfired rounds, the extractor slips off the rim. Can you show pictures of Volquartsen or KIDD extractors compared to factory? I put a Volquartsen trigger on the Hunter, have yet to change anything on the bull barreled gun, actually have not shot it much at all.

Tim

I have a MKI with the 6&7/8" barrel. Think I have cleaned it once in 5K rounds. Never had any trouble with it. Pulled it out of the safe this last weekend and shot it in a match. Pistol worked fine, I didn't!!

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    No, I did not change out the extractor, it looks undamaged and not worn. The gun functions fine except for extracting unfired rounds, the extractor slips off the rim. Can you show pictures of Volquartsen or KIDD extractors compared to factory? I put a Volquartsen trigger on the Hunter, have yet to change anything on the bull barreled gun, actually have not shot it much at all.

Tim
    i don't have any pics, but if you put a Kidd next to a a Ruger extractor, you can see the difference.
    It's worth the $10 or whatever KIDD gets for them these days.

I have a blue Mk-II with the long bull barrel. It's definitely a tack driver.

Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    i don't have any pics, but if you put a Kidd next to a a Ruger extractor, you can see the difference.
    It's worth the $10 or whatever KIDD gets for them these days.
    I will check them out, for $10 I would happily make the swap.

Tim

Still occasionally regret selling my MkII 5.5" bull barrel- The Hi Standard Olympic dad left me has a SO much nicer trigger. But it needs cleaned every 200-300 rounds, the Ruger NEVER quit extracting/cycling in the whole time I owned it- Often a full brick ran through it between cleanings.

Love those Ruger MKII's ! One of the best .22 pistols you'll ever find for any amount of money. I've seen more than one MKII that could hold its own against a S&W model 41.
    I had an early MKII, blued with a bull barrel that would shoot better than a lot of rifles. In one of my dumber moves I let it go. Had several since then and currently have a SS bull barrel model.
    The factory trigger pull isn't bad but a Volquartson hammer and sear will produce an outstanding hammer release. The guns are simple, durable, reliable and very accurate.
    tja6435 - You got a great gun !
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 08-12-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: moving discusion out of sales ad, and into rimfire forum
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Moderator Emeritus

Ruger MK II experiences and aftermarket extractors

There was a good discussion on a selling & swapping thread...I was gonna merge those posts in a NEW MK II thread. something went wrong and put all the posts into one post.

anyway, please carry on with this discussion.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 08-12-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I have 2 MKI T 6 7/8 Rugers 0ne with scope and one with irons. The scoped one I have shot a lot, probably 20,000 rds and it was shot a bunch before I got it. It is accurate with bulk ammo and really accurate with good ammo. I have broke 2 firing pins in this gun but polished the last one before installation and it has been going for the last 25 years. It gets cleaned every couple thousand rounds but has never failed to feed or fire except for bad rounds that just won't fire. I shot NRA 50ft indoor for several years against High Stds, S&W 41s and others. There was one fella that beat me most of the time with his S&W 41 but he was a better shooter than I. I did a trigger job on my Ruger and installed a trigger stop. You would have a hard time finding a better gun for the price. Actually finding a better gun for ten times the $59 I paid for it would be difficult. I haven't shot the MK II,III or IV but would think they are very good guns as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have 2 MKI T 6 7/8 Rugers 0ne with scope and one with irons. The scoped one I have shot a lot, probably 20,000 rds and it was shot a bunch before I got it. It is accurate with bulk ammo and really accurate with good ammo. I have broke 2 firing pins in this gun but polished the last one before installation and it has been going for the last 25 years. It gets cleaned every couple thousand rounds but has never failed to feed or fire except for bad rounds that just won't fire. I shot NRA 50ft indoor for several years against High Stds, S&W 41s and others. There was one fella that beat me most of the time with his S&W 41 but he was a better shooter than I. I did a trigger job on my Ruger and installed a trigger stop. You would have a hard time finding a better gun for the price. Actually finding a better gun for ten times the $59 I paid for it would be difficult. I haven't shot the MK II,III or IV but would think they are very good guns as well.
    I had a MKI but traded it for a High Standard, well and some cash too, I did not like that the Mag's only held 9 rounds. The guy who sold me the High Standard begged for it back so I sold it back to him. I got the MKII Hunter because a friend wanted to sell it and set a reasonable price. I put the after market trigger on it because it shot so well that I could tell the trigger was holding me back. I got the second MKII because it was at a pawn shop for a reasonable price and I liked the first one so much but the barrel on the Hunter was really too long. I will post pictures when the function starts working again.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    My Govt Target MKII has been used to teach at least a dozen people how to fire handguns over it's life with me.
    Back when .22lr was cheap and stupid plentiful (doubt we'll see cheap again but it's becoming plentiful around Denver at the big sporting good stores) I mainly shot it. I thought feeding the GP100 back then was too much $ ($11.99/box .357 MAG) and the ammo went way too fast.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	146570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0004.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	146571

I was wrong the one with iron sights is not a bull barrel, I told you I had not shot it much.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Moderator Emeritus

Anybody install a trigger shield in their MK II ?

Back in my rimfire pistol League days, in any one particular summer, "Bricks" of ammo would be shot through my blued 6 7/8" taper barrel "Target model" MK II. Before I installed a trigger shield, the trigger would get "krunchy" after 500 rds or so, and would need to be cleaned to get back to a smooth feeling trigger. I believe I bought it from "On-Target"...but you can make one from popcan metal. Once installed, I never got the "krunchy" trigger again...I'd only need to clean the gun, when it was soo gunked up, it started to FTE or FTF.

I wouldn't mind trying a aftermarket extractor mentioned above, but I don't recall any issues with extraction, til it'd get real dirty.

The last year I shot in a league, I won a big Gift certificate for the LGS. So I used that and a few bucks to buy a NEW MK II, a stainless slabsize 6 7/8" "Government model" and then sold the "Target Model" that had years of use in the League...I shouldn't have done that, it sure was a good shooter.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master
    The only gun I've ever parted with was the first gun I bought when I was 21, a 4" stainless GP100. It was stolen from me by a cop at a DUI checkpoint one night when they insisted I open my trunk for them to snoop around.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Anybody install a trigger shield in their MK II ?
    Never heard of them but I will give it a try. http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/...pic.php?t=1175

I am tapping my Mark II for a scope mount this weekend so I will have it disassembled anyway.

Moderator Emeritus

trigger shield AKA: blastshield

here are a couple more links

http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/blastshield.htm

http://www.wiztechs.com/knightsrealm...lastshield.htm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Extractor_p_14.html

10.95+ shipping for Kidd's extractor. His bolt guide rod and spring kit is worth the $9.95 for 10/22's. Makes them run super smooth and can dial in subsonic/standard/hyper ammo with the spring selection.

Boolit Grand Master

My old MKI will fail to extract when it's time for cleaning. New American in 17HMR does it from time to time but it's cleaning intervals are much closer together than my old MKI, lol. Hopefully someone will come up with a fix for that if it continues, really haven't given the rifle a decent break-in yet.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I shot indoor postal league during the wintwr for a he last 18 years. Usually put about 750 rounds through the gun a season without too much cleaning. Never had issues with the original extractor. I typically had firing issues with the firing pin which was from soft pin hits from a dirty bolt face/chamber front.

I have seen the blast shields and debated making one.

never really realized how dirty and grimy 22LR can be until I clean the gun each year and now that I have a rimfire suppressor.