Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 209 primer pocker reamer

In Remembrance

209 primer pocker reamer

is there such a thing as a 209 shotun primer reamer?
    One that would make the center hole and the recess necessary to seat the flange?

Maybe one w an end-mill tip that can bore out a berdan anvil at the same time? and a depth control stopper so that it stops in the right place.

one pass, buzzzzzzzzz, done!

i have been reading recent posts and using the drill bit method myself, but its a pain. i was thinking that a 209 shaped reamer, like a chamber reamer but for 209 primers, would be nice- not a real high volume seller for a dealer, but i'd buy one.

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know if anyone stocks them but any of the reamer makers could grind you one. What case are you converting to 209? You would want a step drill or a step end mill. A reamer would require predrilling.

I use PTG http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-11-2015 at 11:45 AM.

In Remembrance

So the pocket itself tapers from .2410 to .2390".

anyone know how deep the flange is?

You'd think there are dimensions of the pocket posted somewhere, but i cant find it.
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

In Remembrance

something like this, but with numbers:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unknown1_2009_051115.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	146399

In Remembrance
    I would just grab my calipers and measure a 209 primer for the "E" dimension.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Grand Master

Depending in how thick the berdan case head is the taper will be the same angle but not as long. Most doing this don't use a taper.

Boolit Grand Master

I've made several tools for drilling 209 primer pockets by mounting a drill bit in a spin jig and using a surface grinder to work it down to the nose size (sorry I do not remember the sizes, but I took them off a 209 primer with calipers as grumps suggests)

Very fun tool. Mount it in a DeWalt, and you'll find yourself putting 209 primers in all kinds of things. Workbench, wall, old gunstocks, not to mention all kinds of brass that never should have had it in the first place. LOL!

If you like shooting wax, or gluelits they are the bomb.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

In Remembrance
    Goodsteel, what's fun to do is ream out the primer pocket on a 06 case with that, insert a 209M primer, then a 8mm Airsoft BB. No powder, just the primer, makes for some fun lite rodent control rounds...
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

In Remembrance

Well I got some numbers for a whole bunch of brands of primer. I can post the ranges, and the 2 primer si use most, federal and fiocchi:
    ranges:
    A .236-.245
    B .294-.302
    C .240-.244
    D .305-.310
    E .021-.027

fed/fio:
    A .242/.243
    B .295/.294
    C .241/.243
    D .310/.308
    E .027/.022

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    something like this, but with numbers:
    http://www.trapshooters.com/attachme...rt-jpg.303563/

In Remembrance

yeah that

Boolit Man
    Cheddite primer dimensions:
    http://www.chedditeitaly.com/en/inneschi.php

Boolit Master

Hello cpileri
    What are you trying to do?
    Maybe I can assist???
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

In Remembrance

Thanks skeettx,
    once i get this gadget, if ever, i plan to use it on some magtec brass hulls that are berdan primed; so i can use more standard load data w them. See i do have some berdan primers but have no idea what they do to load data, esp pressure info, in shotgun loads. So i just plan to drill them to accept 209's.

if it works well, i also have some berdan 308 and 303 surplus I can convert.

and if I get a reamer that is tough as nails and can take the abuse, I have some Barnaul steel hull 12ga and 410 that I'd like to reload if possible w 209's. They are berdans as of now, but they are so cool I hate to waste them.

so i was dreaming of a one-pass tool, but it might be easier to make a double ended end mill type: a 6mm end mill on one end for the 209 body and a 308-310 ish end mill, both ends w a depth stop . Whichever works.

are you a machinist?

In Remembrance

For that matter, i have some magtec shotgun hulls that are the pistol primer type. But have no idea what pistol primers do to shotgun load data either

Boolit Master

No machinist, but thought that you may have been trying to make brass hulls from bar stock
    and I have a few all brass hulls.

Sounds like you are just playing and having a good time because Magtech hulls now have boxer primers.
    Good luck on your adventure

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    I checked my notes where I converted some old 8x50R Lebel brass to a 209 primer for use with some low pressure cat sneeze boolit loads. I used a 15/64" drill bit (0.234") and then a countersink to allow the primer to seat flush. Hope that helps!

In Remembrance

skeettx,
    Thanks for thinking of helping out. Keep those all brass hulls, they are awesome! Yeah I have some really old Magtecs.

Btreanor,
    Thats the method I used/use, w a 5/16" instead of a countersink but same idea. Its just such a pain. and the drill kind of wanders off the berdan primer anvil. I thought a 6mm end mill woudl work better. Then, i got to thinking, why not make a step up to .310 for the flange, though having a 0.025-0.27" depth stop might be a little tight tolerance.

Anyway, if it can be done reasonably, i still might pay for one.

I wonder if c4d rental might have one for rent...

C-

Try my short video. I think it shows what you want. I use a size B drill and seat them with a wood mallet. Works well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CcefFu04V8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast