Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Well this is Nice! XRIF reassurance.

Well this is Nice! XRIF reassurance.

Found a bunch of printing type spacers on Friday so I picked up 50#, melted it down and took a 10# ingot in and had it gunned. Came in at Sb 16% and Sn 5% Pb 76.6% Cu .5% Better than Linotype alloy. Not quite as balanced but a few oz. of pewter or tin would make it 1.5 times linotype alloy for recipes.

Glad I could get it gunned, I would have been reluctant to purchase a bunch of spacers without some way to know they were not just plain lead or badly depleted linotype.

Went back today and picked up a bunch more of it. Will have to do a little extra work to make sure I end up with a good consistent blend from it all but pretty pleased with my score.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Mold
    Great score! I've been going to the same antique shop every week to pick up a bucket of spacers. The kind woman who owns the shop is sorting out all the blank lino strips from her massive collection and has a bucket waiting on me every week for about 2 months now. The best part is she only charges me $20 a bucket! Well I'm glad you were able to get yours gunned. That's something I have yet to do.

I'm sure the spacers have different alloy compositions. They bend or break differently and the percentages from gunning don't match any specific alloy. My guess is a mix of foundry/stereo type, linotype and plain. Because the buckets won't have the exact same composition and I don't have the capacity to smelt them all in one batch I'm going to need to do each larger batch then cross mix those evenly.

Think I can do this in 3 batches of 6 bread loaf pan ingots. Then take 2 ingots from each batch of 6 and combine in batches of 6 to cross mix the melt together for casting into final mixed ingots to be gunned and cast with. Point is to get an even mixing of all the buckets so I have one big consistent batch.

Stuff is rich enough that I can see potential for wide variation of alloy from one bucket to the next. That would mean gunning each bucket and tweaking any recipe each time I grabbed an ingot from a different batch. Rather do the work up front to get it consistent. Wish I could have purchased the rest of it. Too much money to spend in one shot. Bought what I could, left a slip with the results of gunning for the next fellow.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Well blended up a 100# composed of a cross mix of equal parts from each batch I melted down. Took samples in and large batch was actually even better than previous results. 19 Sb, 7 Sn alloy which Wikipedia has down as a monotype alloy ratio. In short I would have to cut every 2# of this with 1.5# of COWW's to get it diluted down to Linotype.

Also met a fellow caster there and wrote down this site for him to check out. Turns out he lives just a few miles from my house. Got out of casting because store bought prices were so low, now back into it.