Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Gas checks don't fit!

Gas checks don't fit!

I am sure everyone has experienced this tragedy: you use a new mold for the first time only to find later that the gas checks don't fit. I am dealing with this problem on a RCBS 145 sil. cast boolit, the GC shank of which is too large for my Hornady GC's. Currently I am using a crudely modified punch and hammer to flare the GC's. Does anyone know who makes a product that would produce more uniform results than my hammer and punch?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    black44hawk, I have to use the punch technique for my favorite Lyman 314299 mould. One thing that makes it a lot easier is to anneal the GC first. See the sticky on the "classics and stickies" page. After annealing I use a punch made from a VW fuel pump push rod (anything 8 mm or 5/16" will work) with a large wooden knob on top to expand the GC a little. I keep a large paper grocery bag handy and put both hands inside the bag to flip the GC off the punch with a small screwdriver without having to chase the little blighters all over the shop. Some casters have said that a proper size ball bearing and gently used hammer will work too. My guess is that there is lot to lot variation in moulds and GC.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Grand Master

Several years ago I gave up trying to get checks to fit, just too much variation in all the different moulds and forcing the checks on shaved lead and crimped the check on crooked. I size all checks first now and I started with a punch just like your doing.

Since then I've come up with a gas check sizing tool made from Lyman "M" dies and works in the Rock Chucker press. An RCBS extended shell holder faced flat is the anvil and the same set up works for all calibers. The Lyman plug is turned to proper diameter and only a new plug is needed for each caliber.

I don't know of any commercial tools like this and I don't know if there would be enough interest to make it a viable commercial project. It does add time to loading but all my checks slip on easily with no lead shaving and fit flat and square to the bullet base and crimp on tight, well worth it to me. A lot of people anneal the checks so they will bend easier when pushing them on but this was my solution. I don't anneal first, just size them.

On the left is the various parts, on the right it's assembled.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Saved this page to my hard drive! I'm in the process right now of packing up all of my toys to put them into storage for a few years. I'm going overseas for Uncle in a couple of weeks, but I intend to put this into to good use upon my return.

Assuming that I can still get lead then, of course.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Take care of yourself, Sir, and thanks for helping to take care of all of us.

Mark
    LtCol, USAFR (Retired)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by black44hawk View Post
    I am sure everyone has experienced this tragedy: you use a new mold for the first time only to find later that the gas checks don't fit. I am dealing with this problem on a RCBS 145 sil. cast boolit, the GC shank of which is too large for my Hornady GC's. Currently I am using a crudely modified punch and hammer to flare the GC's. Does anyone know who makes a product that would produce more uniform results than my hammer and punch?
    Buckshot can fix you up right.

A couple years ago I had him make me check expander tools that work in a loading press, for .22 .30 and .35

Same princible as CB Ricks only the anvil screws into the press and the check expanders snap into the shell holder slot.

good luck

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Saved this page to my hard drive! I'm in the process right now of packing up all of my toys to put them into storage for a few years. I'm going overseas for Uncle in a couple of weeks, but I intend to put this into to good use upon my return.

Good luck to you and take care. Thank you for serving!

Assuming that I can still get lead then, of course.
    If you have trouble getting lead upon your return, contact me and I'll do what I can to help.

Curt
    MSgt USAF (Ret)
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Boolit Master

It's pretty easy to remove the expander plug from a M die and turn a long 10-32 screw head to expand the GCs and fit it in place of the expander plug.

Then, a flat piece of metal over the ram and you can expand them pretty quickly in a single stage press.

I had my machinist buddy make me several blank shell holders and use these as "anvils". Works pretty fast./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....