Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your favorite quiet 22 ammo? (OR, what's the quietest that is relatively accurate?)

Boolit Master

your favorite quiet 22 ammo? (OR, what's the quietest that is relatively accurate?)

Hi Guys,

I shot some CCI Quiet-22 the other day, I was very impressed (40 gr, 710 fps). Much quieter than the Eley subsonic stuff I have (1050 fps?)

I went back to get more, the shop had sold out and replaced it with Remington 1050 fps stuff. I'm sure the rem stuff will be as loud as the eley stuff.

What do you guys like shooting? being able to hear nothing but the strike of the firing pin and hearing the bullet cut the paper is really neat. 22 is available locally, pretty much. (pretty much).

Tried finding Quiet-22 online. Wow, 22 still hasn't recovered online. crazy.

Boolit Grand Master
    My favorite sorta quiet is CCI HV .22 Short HP, out of a long barreled rifle. It has enough power to reliably kill squirrels, and will usually stay inside a raccoon. I haven't seen any of it in several years though.

I never really understood the thinking on subsonic .22LR, unless you are actually using a suppressor, then it almost makes sense. Otherwise, it strikes me as being a tacticool marketing ploy. After all standard velocity .22LR is supposed to be subsonic, but it isn't cool.

Standard velocity .22's for rabbits or running a trapline Winchester T22's either short or long rifle worked for me thirty to forty years ago.

Robert

I do NOT like the Remington Subsonic's

- the Eley primed Aguila SuperExtra Ammo 40 grain 22 Long Rifle Subsonic
    is very good for most of my guns

- the Russian 22 subsonic will work in manual action com-block very well
    but not my Semi-auto's.

- Federal Match standard velocity seems quite accurate in most of my auto's

- CCI Standard Velocity is my gold standard but tough to find now.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    My favorite is and has always been the CCI CB shorts. Tho would like to try the CCI quiet 40gr'rs. The R-P CBee's are accurate but not a whole lot quieter than standard velocity 22's.

Boolit Master

Cci CB's out of my old long remington. The slide is the loudest part of the shot and if the sun is behind you, you can watch the bullet drop Don the crosshair.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    In the For What It's Worth category, all the standard velocity .22LR I'm using is sub-sonic and from my suppressed Ruger MkII, all I can hear is the bullet hitting the metal falling plates.

From an unsuppressed Ruger 10/22, standard velocity ammo is very quiet.

Richard

The thing that I have noticed that helped with the noise was shooting them out of a longer barrel. I have shot the quiets out of a cricket and they are loud, not as loud as standard velocity but still noisy. I am not very fond of the quiets (or any others like them). I prefer to shoot standard velocity. Not much drop out to 50 yards and they tend to group better than high velocity stuff. I really like wolf match/target but cci standard velocity isn't too far behind in the accuracy department. The win 42 max sub sonic is do just as well. They mushroom out pretty well in water too. We shall see how they do on squirrels in the fall.

The target velocity/subsonic stuff is quiet enough that it doesn't scare the other critters that are around. Atleast that has been my experience. The quiets just drop too much and are not accurate enough for me. I will let the kids shoot up the rest of the brick.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Banned
    CB's out of a rifle are about as quiet as you can get without a suppressor. The Remington .22 LR subsonic lacks the "crack" of a high velocity .22 long rifle but it's still far louder than a CB.
    Standard velocity .22 long rifle is generally supersonic when fired from a rifle at normal air temperatures but not always. In any event, the standard velocity .22 long rifle cartridges produce very good accuracy and less noise than the high velocity .22 LR however you will still get the "crack" because the projectile breaks the speed of sound (from most rifles at normal air temperatures).

The key to a quiet .22 rifle is two parts: 1. the speed of the projectile must be below the speed of sound in air (roughly 1130 fps in dry 70 degree air) to avoid the supersonic "crack".
    2. The muzzle blast (gases escaping the muzzle directly behind the exiting bullet) must be kept to a minimum.

A semi auto rifle soaks up the noise from a cci cb. They are almost as quiet as an air rifle.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

While my single shot bolt action Winchester 67A is so quiet you can hear the firing pin fall and the striker spring vibrate
    with just about any standard velocity 22LR ammo due to the length of it's barrel (26.5")

My RWS 45M .177 Air rifle makes significantly more noise...

The intentionally subsonic ammo of choice WHEN I can find it is Fiocci Asonic 22LR.

AD

In my informal testing the CCI Quiet was not as quiet as cb shorts or Rem CeeBee from my Marlin 795, and doesn't kill starlings as well as Rem CeeBee's do.

Boolit Master

I have shot and currently have CCI cb long and Quite both at 710 fps , I also have Aguila colibri @ 375 fps and super colibri 500 fps , all shoot excellent and with almost the same POI at 25 yards from my old 60s 514 rem rifle some of my other guns wont shoot them well !

I have purchased several bricks of Super colibri in the past and shoot them in an M44 Mossberg. Only sound is similar to someone trying to blow out a candle with their lips closed. Killed a dozen rabbits in the subdivision over the years, usually at 25' to 40'. I kept the micrometer sight adjusted for these rounds so the accuracy was pretty consistent. Once had the luckiest shot with the M44, and Super Colibri, of any firearm I own. Saw a rabbit in an open field at least 100' distant. Rested the rifle on the rail of a chain link fence and sighted about 2' above the grazing rabbit. Could hear the strike on the hide, and it rolled over. Paced off the distance, and it was 150 '.

I don't have a lot to compare to, but I like Aguila's Super Colibri also. Whisper quiet out of a rifle, much more so than Rem or Win shorts & they are readily available, at least around here. When I demonstrate a shot in the backyard, most comments are "That is much quieter than my air rifle!" The little 20gr bullet seems to work well on critters that deserve such a small dose.

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting the CCI Quiets for a few years now and have found them to be the most accurate ammo of the type.
    I did an evaluation thread on them over at RimfireCentral, you might find it interesting:
    CCI Quiets (& other LV) in a suppressed CZ 452, correlating accuracy to Lot# & MV STD
    (A total of 8 different lots of CCI Quiets were tested at 50 yds distance.)

With regards to noise levels, a poster above has described them accurately; my experience has been:
    20" bbl: still obnoxious
    22": quieter but still need hearing protection IMO
    24": much quieter, pleasant to shoot without hearing protection
    26": very nearly quiet

... and from a suppressed rifle: Everyone who tries that setup of mine just giggles.

Boolit Master

I like the CCI CB shorts for backyard pest control
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I have tried the 'quiets' as sold by CCI, they are quiet, but should be considering their really 22 short loading in a LR case. Don't always cycle my 22/45. The standard velocity are not that much louder, but require a rifle to get advertised velocity. I ran some over my chrony and they were like 950fps out of my 22/45. You step up to regular velocity ammo, may not go supersonic in a pistol, but your going to get more muzzle blast. They do work in a can, but the standard velocity/subsonic has less powder so less noise.

Place near me has been good about keeping the CCI standard velocity stuff in stock. But usually have a decent selection of 22 on the shelf.

Of all the quiet ammo I have tried, the CCI Quiet and Rem Cee Bee were the most accurate followed by the CCI Short CB, which for some unknown reason grouped much better than the CCI Long CB.

The Colibri's shot ok to 15 yards but the group really opened up at 25 yards to 5+ inches! Also. be careful shooting them at a hard surface at close range...they will be coming back in your direction!

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master

A few years ago I bought 5 cases of Aguila's Super Colibri from SG at $50 bucks a case. They are quite in all handguns and have had only 2 old worn bore rifles that stuck bullets. They are quiter than an RWS 34 17 cal air gun without suppression.
    I still have 3 plus cases left but they are not going to be shot until more can be had.

Boolit Master

Any ammo beside Remington, varing charges in them bullits. Barrel lenght has alot to do with as well.
    I have a BSA with a 29 inch barrel, that with Win Dynapoints all most silent.
    Off the shelf CCI CB long or short, for those close range pests.
    Be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast