RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sako Rifles

Boolit Master

Sako Rifles

I have enjoyed these rifles over the years.I remember the first one I bought when I was young. It was a Forrester in .22/250 I mowed grass all summer to pay for it.

I would like to have a Bavarian Carbine in .308 win

http://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-bavarian-carbine

Does anyone else have Sakos that they enjoy?

I have an L461 that has been reborn as a 17/222. It's killed lots of trash birds and armadillos.

Boolit Master
    I like the fact that they put a 1/11" twist in their .308win.
    The .308 is generally easy to get to shoot well,and also works great with cast bullets.
    I have a special run Ruger International Hawkeye Stainless in the .308 win. I is a very good shooter.
    I have always wanted a Sako with the Mannlicher stock.
    Beretta imports the guns.

Boolit Master

I had a Forrester in .243 that I should never have gotten rid of, like so many others...

Boolit Master
    An L46 from the mid 50s in 222. Just a perfect walking rifle for me ! Light,accurate,relatively quiet,and beautiful.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I have a Forrester in .243 that I bought at the Rod & Gun club in Furth around 81-82. I work there for a little while and passed up another that I should have bought, a 7mm mag with a heavy varmint barrel. We received 2 of them and I have never seen another since.

Banned
    Yep I like Sako's. I, like above, have one I got in the 60s or 70s in 22-250, I think its a L461, that I shot out & re-barreled to 22-250AI. Great gun, accurate etc. Have several others in 06, 338, 300Wby, 375H&H, & several actions made into rifles. I also change my Rem700 bolts to Sako extractors.

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine had a Sako .375 H&H with the mannlicher stock. It was a fine shooting rifle. I tried to buy it from him, and he almost sold it and then change his mind.
    I have a Safari grade .338 win that I bought back in the mid 80's It is a fine rifle.

Boolit Master
    Own a lefty .270 and wife has a righty .260. The newer Sako's are built as good if not better than currently built Coopers. The wood on my wife's rifle looks like it belongs on a rifle costing 3 times as much
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Own a lefty .270 and wife has a righty .260. The newer Sako's are built as good if not better than currently built Coopers. The wood on my wife's rifle looks like it belongs on a rifle costing 3 times as much
    Thanks , that is what I wanted to hear . I have no experience with the newer rifles.
    The rifle I listed above is at the top of my list for a hunting rifle.
    I guess it is just a throwback from my past, but and older gentleman that was a dentist I knew growing up had a Sako Forrester Mannlicher in the .308 win. I had a lot of respect for him. He has been dead for many years, but I still remember him and his rifle.

I guess it is silly how things make such a big impression on you when you are young.

We all remember those we looked up to. The ones who influenced us.
    Maybe it is nothing but a dream.

Just something I keep tucked away in a small box.

This rifle is part of that dream.
    Last edited by Clay M; 08-08-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an A III in 25-06 and an A V that's been re barreled from 375 H&H to 257 STW. Dad bought both of them when he was stationed in Germany in the early 80's. He always wanted to
    make it to Africa for some Plains game, but never did. I enjoyed being abused as a teen by that thing. He swapped over to the 257 STW when he was on a speed kick and read too much Lane Simpson (had a 7mm STW built on a Mauser action as well).

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post

I guess it is silly how things make such a big impression on you when you are young.

We all remember those we looked up to. The ones who influenced us.
    Maybe it is nothing but a dream.

Just something I keep tucked away in a small box.

This rifle is part of that dream.
    I have my personal heroes too. It's not a dresm
    at all but definitely pleasant memories. I can still remember the smell of one of my fathers friends cigars as we sat around the campfire.....

Boolit Master
    Have a sako 75 hunter with wood stock in 30-06. Probably the most accurate rifle in that caliber I've owned. When I bought it sako had a special for the rings. Send in a copy of the bill of sale and the rings were free. Only thing I didn't care for was that the wood in the barrel channel was not sealed. Few coats of tru oil worked well and once sighted in never changed point of impact. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Sako made 30-06 stocked by Harrington and Richardson, paid $350 new in the mid 80's from a hardware store in South Carolina. Went there to lay-away a H&R 22-250 on a Mark X action that I had been looking at for some time, asked the guy across the counter to let me look at the H&R before I laid it away, instead of the 22-250 he handed me the 30-06. After seeing the price tag it took about .5 seconds to decide to lay it away instead. Seems they had a huge gun vault and rotated guns in and out into the display counter area and the Sako had somehow gotten stuck in time in the vault until just then. Just my good fortune to be in the right place at the right time. Dosen't happen very often though. And no I didn't get the 22-250. By the time I got back around to going and picking it up it was gone. Win some, loose some.

Boolit Master
    When I was growing up there was a little hardware store on the corner in the small town. They stocked some really neat stuff. They had a display case with Sako rifles.
    The owners always had some great firearms, bows, and knives. I spent all the money I made at that store.

Nowadays , most Sako rifles would have to be special ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    An L46 from the mid 50s in 222. Just a perfect walking rifle for me ! Light,accurate,relatively quiet,and beautiful.

Ditto, but when I removed the .222 L-46's barreled action from the stock for a thorough cleaning, I found "REMINGTON" stamped into the bottom of it's barrel , hidden by the stock's forend when I bought it FTF - so, it looks like it was rebarreled with a take-off barrel.

It shot very well, however.........................

Last edited by pietro; 08-09-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Boolit Master
    Mine has a Bofors stamp on the barrel, but now you made me want to pull it from the stock and have a look! Someone "deblued" my barrel and I have been meaning to blue it for the past 10 years.
    Main thing is it shot well, and has that elegant "scaled" bolt action just right for the 222Rem. Funny that the safety is kinda clunky and backwards (to me anyway).
    That fullstock in the OPs link is AWESOME! Guess I am way out of touch with the modern gun market, but that is a rifle that I could spend some cash on. No doubt it will shoot well and it shows craftsmanship that is lacking in the new plastic and aluminium wonders. And real WOOD!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I own a SAKO model 78, a 22 Hornet and it is the best shooting Hornet I have ever run across.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    Nowadays , most Sako rifles would have to be special ordered.
    Very true. We purchased ours from Eurooptics, a store in PA. Seems they get a big shipment about once a year but I had to order both mine and the wifes rifle. Think we ordered them in Jan and they came in Aug/Sept time frame.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

I have a Sako 75 in 30-06 that is a good cast bullet shooter. I also have a Varmint model (don't remember the model number...before the 75 series) in 22-250 that doesn't get enough use. I love the Sakos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast