RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Homemade Colibri Round

Boolit Mold

Homemade Colibri Round

-----
    Last edited by Marshall; 12-25-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

If you could find a way to size the skirt down to fit in the case, you would have a heeled bullet of sorts. Just seat the bullet so the mushroom cap is resting on the rim.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Buddy
    Marshall, have you tried the Colibris on small varmints? I have not but I've used CCI CB caps on squirrels a few times and they were OK on head shots but through the ribs they would run and sometimes climb a tree before falling.
    I bought two bricks of the standard Colibris a few years ago because they were cheaper than CBs.
    I've only fired one box of them and that was at a paper target that I stapled to a scrap piece of plywood that was laying in the weather. The plywood was starting to de-laminate from laying on the ground exposed to the weather. After shooting the entire box of Colibris I inspected the plywood and none of the bullets was imbedded in the plywood and none went all the way through either.

They might be enough for something like a mouse or starling...this is the standard Colibris not the Supers,I have no experience with them.

Oh and if you happen to be in the central MO. area I know where you can buy a few boxes of Colibris (if I can find where I put them).

Boolit Master
    They should work on squirrels or small birds. The Colibris were not effective when I tried them for raccoon control a few years ago, I'd expect even less impressive results with a primer-powered pellet.
    If they get the job done, go ahead. I'd just as soon buy CB caps or shorts, although they are a bit louder. With everyone complaining about finding 22rf I'd feel wrong breaking them down for this project.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    Don't worry, no fresh new rounds were harmed in this test. I am always finding unfired 22 LR rounds in the brass bucket where I practice. Most of the rounds look like they were ejected misfeeds since they often have marks on the bullet nose and no firing pin marks. I sacrificed one of these rounds to the cause of science.

Marshall
    Now yer talkin! Unfired rf at the range is one of my pet peeves and this seems a near perfect solution to that problem. Nice work!
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    The best are a 358093 or a 429303 in a long rifle barreled single shot, (at least 26") with a small charge of Bullseye. Super quiet and smashes um.

This is where a 22 hornet case and 22 pellet are fun, or add up to 1 grain of bullseye.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    Pellets are too expensive. Crosman 22HP are 2cents each plus a 3 cent primer. Use an almost free 40/45gr cast boolit, 1 cent of bullseye (about 2.5gr) and a 3 cent primer and now you have a serious small game getter for 4 cents per round from any 22 CF round. Back down on the powder for less noise, cost and power level.

Anybody try 223 or 222 with a 209 primer?
    1,000,000 peso man

Boolit Buddy
    Most pellets are too small on the head for .22RF barrels. They are about .216-.217" diameter. Largest ones in current production are RWS superdomes or Defiant Vintage 5.6mm (which have probably just stopped production- get them if you see them).

It looks like you have some head engagement on the rifling which is good. Most rimfire barrels are too slack to be accurate with pellets.

If you can find them then Eley rabbit stopper solid pellets (30 grain) should work to.