Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCI primers in Ruger LCP

Boolit Master

CCI primers in Ruger LCP

I'm working on a load for practice .380 ammo using ETR7, so I loaded a few small test lots. The only SP primers I had were CCI so I used them. The firing pin dented primers, but about 90% did not go off on the first strike, so I'm guessing the firing pin spring is a little weak for CCIs. Anyone else run into this?
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master

No I haven't. The majority of priming problems I'm aware of is due to improper priming usually on a single press (that being the primer is not fully seated and slightly crushed) - but that's usually 1 to 3 per 50 or 100 rounds. 90% would indicate a problem with your firearm.

Some might say the CCI has a harder/thicker cup - I don't think so. I have a friend that has a Ruger LCP 380 and he has no problems with any type of commercial ammo but for reloading he uses Federal, due to their primer mix being more sensitive - I would think any other brand of primer would work just fine in his pistol, but that Federal primer is really hard to make misfire (for lack of a better term) with a light strike, so when you need it to go bang - Federal will give you the best odds.

You might try a stronger spring but it could also be other small changes such as maybe polishing up the inside of the firing pin retainer, the firing pin itself and it's uncommon, but maybe the firing pin is just a tad bit short. Sending it back to Ruger on their dime should get the problem solved in short order.

Boolit Master

i never had in issue with CCI primers could they have gotten damp ?
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Most compact pistols do strike the primers fairly lightly and can misfire as much as 100% of the time with certain primers (specifically small rifle and/or magnum/military primers) that may be reliable with larger pistols and rifles.

Federal primers are indeed the softest available usually followed by Remington with CCI and winchester running harder. Switching to federal primers may eliminate the misfires but that doesn't necessarily mean the CCI primers are to blame more likely it is defective loading techniques or a defective or fouled gun. Improper primer seating is the most common culprit followed by heavy handed roll crimping which changes the headspace. Or the firearm may have issues such as firing pin protrusion, headspace or overall design.

90% of the time though the problem is in the primer seating, a lot of reloaders tend to seat them flush rather than fully to the bottom of the primer pocket and when a relatively weak firing pin strikes a high primer it often won't fire.

Boolit Master

Primers are fine in 9mm and zero chance of moisture or contamination.

These were primed with a hand tool and taper crimped.

It runs with commercial ammo by Hornady and Winchester. I've loaded metric tons of 9mm and .45 cap, but this is my first rodeo with .380 and a tiny pistol. I'll test some other primers and try to be even more consistent with seating.

Boolit Master

100 of 100 cci primers with W231 fired fine in my LCP. Maybe some dirt sticking the fp or slowing the hammer?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Does your LCP fire reliably with factory ammo? If it does, I would look at your primer seating. It is necessary to seat the primer anvil legs firmly against the bottom of the primer pocket, and seat the primer cup flush or below the case head, so that the pellet of primer mix is slightly compressed and sensitized. Cleaning and uniforming primer pockets so that primer residue from previous firings cannot cushion the striker blow is important.

I have used lots of CCI primers and never had an issue.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I don't buy CCI primers unless there is absolutely nothing else and I just need practice ammo. Too many hard ones over the past few years that none of my handguns would set off. Substitute a Federal or Winchester and problem instantly disappears.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I have to disagree somewhat - CCI makes some very excellent, consistent primers. Their BR2 and BR4's command a premium price and there's usually a waiting line for them. The CCI 350 is one true magnum pistol primer - I believe it to be the hottest primer on the market for handguns.

The primer cups are basically the same manufacturer to manufacturer - it's the primer mixture that is somewhat more sensitive to pressure - Federal is the most sensitive and that's one of the reasons for their huge cushioned primer box - lawyers probably had a hand in that but the box is way oversized in my opinion but I do prefer Federal match grade primers to all others in no-alibi matches.

I woud concur with you on primers other than standard small pistol. I have had many, many CCI SP primers that my handguns just barely make a divot in cup.We're talking .handguns from my Kel-Tec P32 to Glock 19 to Ruger Service Six. Pop them out and load into ammo for my Marlin 1894 and it sets them off no problem. One tray had 13 hard primers in it. I haven't changed my priming technique or the way I prepare my brass since I started reloading. There is no excuse for that, period.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    if you put the round back in do they go on the 2nd hit ?
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

Boolit Master

I have had problems with he firing pin not being clean for whatever reaons.Clean the firing pin and spring and your problems may go away.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Last order of cci mag rifle primers I got I had 8-10 misfires out of 50 every box. It drove me crazy hand way powder charge working up load and no bang o it still gets me upset. I have used cci primers for 30 years and have onely twice got bad bricks of primers.that being stated last primer order 3000 sp / 3000 lp primers got Winchester . By the way I broke my bullet puller hammer to .

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    At times I see posts about CCI primers being "too hard", un-reliable, etc. All I ever use is CCI primers - pistol & rifle and I've never had a problem at all with them out of the dozen or so handguns (revolver/semi) that I re-load for. I hand prime with a Lee ergo. cBut . . that's just my experience and maybe I'm just lucky with the "lots" (lot #) of CCI primers I've purchased?

I'd do a thorough cleaning of the firing pin, etc. and see if that doesn't clear up the problem. All it's going to take is a bunch of gunk to slow the firing pin down . . and that can happen to anybody. If that doesn't do it, maybe you can load p a few with a different brand and see if they go bang? I've only shot a LCP a couple of times - a friend had one - and it was fairly new with few rounds through it. It shot very reliaby but can't speak to how "finicky" they might be after a bit of shooting and if a little dirty from powder residue, gunk, etc.

It will be interesting to hear what you figure out so I' hope you'll post!

Some of the hard primers I encountered would fire on the second strike. Others would not fire no matter how many times you tried. Not going to put up with that when I can just buy Winchester or Federal and problem solved.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    At times I see posts about CCI primers being "too hard", un-reliable, etc. All I ever use is CCI primers - pistol & rifle and I've never had a problem at all with them out of the dozen or so handguns (revolver/semi) that I re-load for. I hand prime with a Lee ergo. cBut . . that's just my experience and maybe I'm just lucky with the "lots" (lot #) of CCI primers I've purchased?

I'd do a thorough cleaning of the firing pin, etc. and see if that doesn't clear up the problem. All it's going to take is a bunch of gunk to slow the firing pin down . . and that can happen to anybody. If that doesn't do it, maybe you can load p a few with a different brand and see if they go bang? I've only shot a LCP a couple of times - a friend had one - and it was fairly new with few rounds through it. It shot very reliaby but can't speak to how "finicky" they might be after a bit of shooting and if a little dirty from powder residue, gunk, etc.

It will be interesting to hear what you figure out so I' hope you'll post!
    I found some Remington primers so I'm going to load two batches: one with CCI and one with Remington, seating both as carefully as possible. Should be able to get that done and tested late this week.

No issues thus far with CCI SPP in my LCP.

Boolit Buddy

I had a modified revolver (PPC) and it HATED CCI primers. I switched to Federal and had no problems.

Banned

I use federal primers for ANY load that could possibly be used for self defense in ANY handgun. I wouldn't risk my life on a misfire with any other primers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunauthor View Post
    I had a modified revolver (PPC) and it HATED CCI primers. I switched to Federal and had no problems.

I had the same issue 30+ years ago with CCI primers but most PPC guns have very light springs and generally a light hammer as well. I switched to Winchester primers for all pistol ammo and never looked back.
    OTOH CCI primers ought to work fine for the OP, I think he'll find a related problem but I doubt the primers are to blame.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.