Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "low ball" bids on "firm" prices.... my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    I don't feel insulted if I don't get it for the price I want. I feel insulted when I ask politely and the seller calls me a dirty sob, or otherwise cusses at me via pm for even asking. I think if somebody is saying they need the money badly, and I am offering even CLOSE to what they are asking I AM offering respect. The only message I get when they are nasty is that they are not a person I would do business with AT ANY price. It isn't like I am hounding them over and over if I ask with a single pm about a deal, a barter, etc.

I don't have alot of spare money, or even any at the moment to be honest. So if I ask the seller if they would be willing to toss in the shipping on an item, and they are rude yeah i am offended. They coulda just said no, no thanks, etc. I had a person on this very board who was selling four items I was interested in. The only question I asked was if they would mind combining the shipping as they listed shipping extra on each item with the price as "FIRM", and all four items would have fit in a MFR box instead of four SFR boxes. I was informed that I could kiss a portion of their posterior if I didn't like their prices, they had already said "FIRM", and then they questioned both my intelligence and the status of my birth. Only they used short, rude words for each portion of the message.

Let me make this perfectly clear. I'm NOT offended if they don't take my offer. That's fine, it's their item so they are free to do what they want. I AM offended when I get cursed at, AND I do get offended when my question "just gets deleted". If you are offering an item for sale, and you can't have the common courtesy to answer even with two letters NO, then I just won't do business with you.

I grew up horse trading, going to flea and farmers markets, buying livestock, and going to yard sales. You don't even ask about the "best" price on an item and people take you for at best a fool and at worst a rich snob, and word gets around small towns. I try to never be rude to anybody, either with an offer, or just in conversation, and I won't tolerate people being rude to me.

God Bless

Richard
    I would venture to say also , that the ones doing the cussing and being rude, has at some point in their life, made a Offer to someone else on items for sale... I don't get offended at offers. I'm not going to be rude about it though, we all come from all walks and Some may be offering all that they can. I put my pants on just like anyone else.. It can be accepted or declined,no big deal. Shoot, I have even heard of people giving things away to people whom someone may have felt was deserving..

While I haven't sold anything here, I have sold some photography items online. I have also bought some items online. I have had some people offer me 50¢ on the dollar for items that were priced fairly and sold at the asking price. I ignored those replies. Then I have had some items that I have watched that have been posted for some time and have sent a PM asking if that is the best price that they have listed. Some have said it is the best price, and some have offered a lower price. I don't mind doing that or being sent those type of PMs. Life is too short for me to play the games of: you said no to 50¢ on the dollar, well what about 55¢? That to me is what I think of as low balling and I don't care for it.

In Remembrance
    I stopped at a garage sale today, an elderlady was raising money for two grandaughters that are terminally ill. She didn't price anything, just told you to make her an offer. Everything I offered was agood deal to me, but I hate doing that. At the end I had 9 bucks change coming, and just told her to put it in the kitty. I do usually offer a lower price at flea markets, garage sales and gun shows, it is just natural seems like.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    If this was recent your first offer was not reasonable. It's less than half the current market value. You can make whatever offer you want but don't be surprised when you are turned down.
    It was fairly beat up. It was a fair offer but definitely on the low end.

I think I missed making my point a bit, which pertains to the two halves of every sale. While buyers perhaps shouldn't make insultingly low offers, sellers shouldn't get offended. Likewise, sellers shouldn't be offended when receiving offers after asking for offers.

I've been amazed how many times I've walked away with things for a steal after making what I feared may have been a "low-ball offer." Keep in mind, this is always with a seller happy to have my cash and see the item go away.

Boolit Master
    If I advertise something usually will say the price is FIRM. If you send me a lower offer I will either ask you what part of FIRM do you not understand or not even respond to their PM. If you can't respect the price is firm then I am under no obligation to respect you or your offer.
    If I want to entertain "best offer" I would of stated this in the ad
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

I'm one of those that doesn't particularly like haggling, but I have learned to do it to a degree. I'm not that good at it because I tend to be too polite, perhaps. The type of guys I don't care for are the hard nose wheeler-dealer types that verbally beat down a seller to get a steal. I don't respect those kind at all.

I learned something about this when I was young, selling a motorcycle through the want ads. It was just an old Yamaha enduro but it was a good running dirt bike.

A guy came out to look at it, seemed serious when he called. He was dressed well and driving a nice truck. He asked all the pertinent questions and knew what he was talking about. He then proceeded to beat me down, telling me my price was "way out of line", pointing out every little imperfection and offered me a third of what I wanted. I was shocked, just turned my back and walked away. The next day I came home from work and my mom handed me an envelope full of cash because someone else had come out that day and payed full price.

I came to realize that the first guy was just using a psychological sales technique on me. He saw who he thought was a dumb kid desperate for money. He figured he'd beat me down, get me good and discouraged, then get a steal that he could flip and make some money on. I've seen that technique many times since. I watched an acquaintance that I used to respect do it on several occasions. He was very good at it. Notice I said "used to respect"?

A good fair haggle is one thing, but beating down an unsuspecting, desperate victim is another. If someone makes a respectful offer, no matter how low, I'm not offended. I might say no though, since I'm one of those guys that tend to price anything I sell for what I'd like to get rather than a high starting price expecting to haggle.

Banned
    I consider the people who are rude and disrespectful over something that could be answered with a simple "No thanks" to be scum and not worth my time. There is no reason to be rude like that and anyone who says that there is is lying.

If I am selling a product and list that item for say $100 (firm or not), if someone offers me $50 for it, I'm not going to be a horse's behind and rant at them or make some smart aleck remark. I'm going to be respectful and simply say no thank you.

I have asked reasonably lower (within 20%) offers before. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't, sometimes I pay the full price anyways. If those sellers are rude to me though, they won't get a sell from me no matter how much I was willing to pay. They can kiss the hairiest part of my behind.
    Last edited by quickdraw66; 08-08-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I think some of it is generational. Lots of us older guys grew up haggling for the best price on most everything, even if it was a good deal to start with.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Here's a funny story about haggling. A few years ago I had an old canopy for my truck that I hadn't used in some time (topper for you Midwesterners). It wasn't real pretty and needed some tlc, so I put it on Craigslist for $10, a giveaway price just to get rid of it fast.

A guy came out to look at it, with his 5 or 6 year old son. Dad walked around it, looking at it with his head cocked, rubbing his chin and poking it with his foot. Son was right behind him, head cocked, rubbing his chin, poking with his foot.

"Would you take five dollars?"
    I smiled and chuckled, No I'd like ten, sorry. He smiled and handed me ten. I almost gave it to him for five just because of his kid.
    Last edited by fatelk; 08-08-2015 at 01:31 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    If the price is listed as firm that means the seller has it priced where he wants it and you should respect that and not waste his time sending offers. If a seller has done his research and priced his items accordingly he is usually wise to disgregard buyer offers anyway as they rarely have any connection to the actual value. The vast majority of people making offers either don't know what the item is worth (and almost never offer comparable comps) or don't care they just want to pay less that the asking price regardless. Even if something is worth $500 and it's marked $50 and a lot of people will offer $25-40 they don't care about the $450 savings nearly as much as the other $10-25. And thus the vast majority of offers are 50-90% of asking price with absolutely no regard for the actual value of the item. Also a lot of buyers won't honor their offers especially if the seller gives in "too easily".

Time on the market is often irrelevant, usually a common item (that everyone wants, knows the value, say for example a Glock or Colt AR) at a giveaway price will sell more or less instantly but other than that it's just a matter of finding the right buyer which can take days or years depending on what you are selling and your market exposure. Reducing the price may make something sell faster but that is not always the case unless you lower it so much that resellers and other "opportunistic" buyers will bite.

Personally I rarely consider offers as they are not usually based on anything other than how cheap that particular person is. Much better to price your stuff to sell from the start and wait for a serious buyer. When I sell items on gunbroker I used to get a LOT of offers from flaky cheapskate buyers now I simply say "no offers" and people who don't honor that get a lifetime block from my listings. Everyone is out there looking for the "deal of a lifetime" and I have no problem with that but keep looking and don't waste my time in the process.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't understand why sellers place a firm price on something only to act desperate to sell, but offended when someone makes an offer. What something is worth and what the market will pay is easy to figure out. A low ball offer is still more money than throwing the item in the trash or waiting a year for it to sell. Oh well plenty of motivated sellers out there

Just my .02 cents worth and thats firm! Just kidding, I guess I'm old school and a offer on something that I'm selling does'nt bother me. I may not accept it or I may counter. I will give a polite response and I don't take the low ball offers personally. I guess the way I look at it is, as a buyer I'm trying to get the item for the best price I can and as a seller I want to try to get the best price I can.

A nasty response from a seller that's insulting because you have made an offer is not necessary. I would not ever do business with them no matter how bad I thought I needed the item.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - "Thomas Jefferson"

Boolit Buddy
    i learned a long time ago on craigslist to list the price about 100% higher than i really wanted. then when they offer me 50 cents on the dollar they will feel like they beat me up on price.

but on forums, i usually list it for what i will take. usually that list price is fair market value or less. to me it is insulting and a waste of time when someone makes an offer for 50 cents on the dollar. i do not play that game. a fair price is just that, a fair price. on many items i have not listed a price and tell people who ask to make an offer. almost none ever do. you as the buyer know what you are willing to pay, why not offer up what it is worth to you?
    almost nothing i put up for sale is about the money, i am never broke. it is about cleaning stuff out, but when something is worth $100, please do not offer me half or less. it is a waste of my time, and insulting.

Boolit Master
    The tactic I hate as a seller is when I put a price on something, then the buyer asks me what my bottom dollar is on that item. That's not the way it works. Make an offer on the item if you don't like the seller's price. It's not the sellers job to lower his price because the buyer is too afraid to make an offer.

The other thing that bugs me is when someone is selling an item and they don't bother to put a price on it. Often I will just leave without even asking the seller what his price is. If you are going to put something up for sale, do a little research and put a price on the item, otherwise sell it as an auction.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Grand Master

I will not even ask about un-priced items. If the seller has to size me up, to determine the price he thinks I'll pay, it's too high.
    If I think the asked price is too high, I'll make a reasonable offer, and wont be hurt if the seller says no. It is his stuff.
    If I'm selling, and someone makes a reasonable offer, I'll consider it, and if it's been for sale for a while, i'll accept it.
    There is no point to getting bent out of shape on either side of a sale. Nobody wants to be cheated or taken advantage of.
    I'd lots rather have friends, than a couple more dollars.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    If a listing has been hanging around a while with a 'firm' price I usually email asking if the seller is willing to take an offer before I even shoot a price.

If the reply is no, or no response we're done. If the reply is yes then guess it wasn't as 'firm' as it they thought, eh?
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

There is simply no reason to be rude in the exchange. Seller is saying they "firmly" that this is the price they will sell at. Buyer is simply saying they would be willing to purchase if the price were lower. Seller is free to decide if the offer is worth considering or decline. No one should be taking offense. It can be a bit rude to offer chump change as a response to a fairly priced item. Still no need to get rude in response. They are responsible for their behavior (rude low ball offer) but you are responsible for your response (rude or civil).

I may be selling some lead alloy soon, I'll price it at what I'm willing to let it go for. I feel no obligation to beat the best price offered on eBay in the last 6 months. Or even the best price offered here. If someone else is selling the same alloy for 10 cents less a lb. at the same time people will buy that alloy first, after it sells out then someone will buy mine. Or offer me a lower price based on the deal they missed Maybe I'll decide I would rather have their money (even if not what I was asking) or maybe not. If you send me a PM offering $5 a lb. for pewter I listed for $10 I won't be rude but I may counter with $11 since I just decided to raise the price rather than cast aspersions at the morals of your mother over the legitimacy of your birth. I'm sure she is a wonderful lady no matter how you turned out. I admit I only did that once but it was very satisfying. Classic motorcycle part, priced fair, ridiculous low offer, I commented I meant to price that $5 higher, sorry for the mistake. Crossed out the old price and raised it. Don't care that he didn't buy it worth twice the price for the look on his face.

I have sent a PM to a seller with links to the item being offered for significantly lower price elsewhere. Telling them I'm not in the market anymore but my recent shopping indicates their price may make it hard to sell. I make it clear I'm not trying to beat them up on price just offering a little market research. People seemed to appreciate it or were nice enough to thank me for the effort. I'm not going to get bent based on how they respond either way.

I have some stuff that I will put in the garage sale, some I'll sell because any cash is better than item that just takes up space. Willing to negotiate. Other stuff I'll sell it if buyer finds the price is agreeable but my bottom price is met or I'll just keep it. Yes I'll probably be annoyed if you offered me $50 for a 6 ft. drill press with 1/2 hp. motor I have a $150 price on in which case my answer would be "I'm firm on that price" I would be thinking however "I can get more than $50 as scrap metal butt munch, if I was going to give it away it would be to someone I know"
    Last edited by RogerDat; 08-08-2015 at 09:47 AM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

I'll I try to be friendly, and a friend, to everyone that I buy from or sell to. If selling, I'll meet lower offers with a polite reply or a counter offer. If buying, I'll pay what they are asking, if fair, or make a polite counter offer. I always thank them for buying. I expect a fairly quick sale or I'll take a lower offer pretty quick.

There's no point in being rude or getting mad. If we can't get together, I'll thank them for looking and wish them luck in their search. Just the way I roll!

Boolit Master
    I have been doing auto flea market in Carlisle pa. for the past 25 years. used to be if the part was worth 200 you would say 220. they would say 180. you would come back with 210 they would counter with 190. some talking and looking and one or the other would say split the difference. now they walk up see 220 and offer 50. not even worth talking to them.

I find now the best way is to wait to late in the show. and then ask what would it take for you to move it out?

Boolit Master
    I think I need to mention something else as well. Well a couple of things actually. One is my own personal 20% rule. I think if you are offering half (or less) of what the seller is asking you are begging to be ignored. This IMHO IS disrespectful. 20% for me is a haggling price. I am expecting to be countered. Also it's only if I believe the price is 10-15% to high. If the price is just dead on on an item I will sometimes ask for combined or throw in shipping, but I'm not going to beat a guy up if he's already offering a heck of a deal.

Also for me there is a difference in a "FIRM" price and a "No offers" price. Firm isn't always firm. No offers means take it or leave it. No offers at this time means let it ride for a week or two, then ask.

There is a seller here who I was buying an item for my brother from. He had a FIRM and a No Offers on it, but my brother insisted I ask about a possible deal on the item. I knew what the answer on that one was going to be. I asked anyway. Eventually my brother got tired of hassling me (I wasn't about the hassle the seller after I asked once) and the item was bought at the asked for price. For me this is a different case. I hated asking in that case, and I've told my brother next time he just needs to create an account HIMSELF and make the deals. I ain't goin through that again.

But again, if I am not rude, I expect the other party not to be rude either.

Edited to Add: Also IMHO if it is last day of a market, show, whatever; and you offer an incredible low offer so somebody "Doesn't Have to load it", I don't think you are out of bounds. But again for me that would be a starting negotiation. Alot of times I just let them set the price by asking "What would you sell all of this for not to have to load it?" You'd be amazed how well that actually works.

God Bless

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm