Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What is the best group you ever shot with RF jacketed bullets?

What is the best group you ever shot with RF jacketed bullets?

OK guys, I've been making 55gr bullets from RF jackets for about 6 months now & having fun making, loading & shooting. I been shooting them out of 2 rifles chambered in .223: AR-15 & a Ruger #3. At 100 yds, with several Sierra bullets, sub 1" groups (5 shots) are the norm with the Ruger. The AR, not so good, probably 1.5". Any way, my loads in the Ruger with RF jacket bullets usually clusters 3 together & then 1 or 2 open it up to over the magic inch mark, maybe 1.5" at best or 2" at worst. The AR-15 with its cheap PTAC barrel seems to stay at 2" to 2.5" for 10 shots.

This is really not a problem for what it is. I was just wondering what an expectation should be. If I use uniform jackets & careful handloading should I expect more? I'm not unhappy, just not sure of what to expect. Do you RF swagers get itty-bitty groups?

TIA...

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't been out testing in quite a while. Sub one inch is the norm out of my Savage 223 BTCSS. This is one of my best groups. Nothing fancy, just 5 quick shots during load testing.

Boolit Buddy
    All in all I do not get better than factory projectiles, meaning I get groups as good as any factory made projectile. I had trouble at first getting decent groups and it did take a bit of load development, but a inch group at 100 is normal. I am not a BR shooter and I have no fancy rifles. The inch is as good as I need. The critters can not tell the difference.

Bill
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

Banned

your gonna get out what you put in.
    weigh your best jackets and match them to your cores to get a smaller weight variance.
    I have shot some pretty darn good groups with 22 lr jackets.
    but,,,,,, I can consistently on demand shoot groups like the ones shown above using J-4 jackets and cores within .2 weight variation.

Vendor Sponsor

22lr jackets have a lot of potential but yes... you got to do your part too.

Check out some of the targets from last years postal shoot, winner was around .4moa IIRC.

starting at post #180

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...welocme!/page9
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Thanks guys, good info. The results of the postal shoot were very impressive! I'm going to experiment with one brand RF jacket bullets selected & weighed with care & see what I find out. Hope there are more postal shoots coming up.