Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: English underhammer rifle up for auction

Boolit Bub

English underhammer rifle up for auction

Was reading the upcoming auctions for this weekend and noticed the following: "English 32 under-hammer black powder made in 1850, good condition (to be offered)". I called the auctioneer and am going to look at it tomorrow afternoon. It is a rifle with cap box and target type rear sight. The old boy had it appraised for $2,500 and will offer it starting at around $1,000. So, he has done his homework and I won't get it at a steel. I have designed and made an under-hammer rifle and am in the process of building a pistol of my own design. Question: I've NEVER heard of an English under-hammer. Most seem to have been made in the New England states. Has anyone else ever seen or heard of one? I know that pricing of something this unusual and finding a buyer to pay what some "expert" said it is worth is difficult at best. I'll bring my cleaning rod with me and will see if he will let me take a picture of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! This would be a major purchase for me and I would hate to get stung! Of course, there is always that possibility when buying anything at auction. "As is, Where is" is the rule of the day.
    Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    Pictures? For us...

Henry Wilkinson patented an underhammer rifle in 1839. You'll find occassional reference to them via google and on some auction sites.

David
    www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
    Historical firearms, long range target shooting and associated history

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ant underhammer rt.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	146293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ant underhammer l.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	146294The owner allowed me to examine this rifle the day before the auction. Overall very well built and in nice condition. Beautiful target rear sight, but just a plain blade front sight. Heavy barrel approximately .32 cal. by about 36" long. Neat patch box and even neater small compartment along the bottom of the stock that was drilled for storing balls! There were no markings of any kind. Unusual, I thought for such a nice rifle. More to the point: there were no proof marks. Any English gun would have Birmingham or London proofs. Also, the walnut stock appeared to be American Black Walnut with a more open grain than the typical English Walnut. Was a really interesting gun, but without markings would be hard to prove provenance. Rifling in the bore was very thin, almost smooth-bore near the muzzle. My main interest was to buy it and study it, then eventually to sell it. His minimum was $900. I got cold feet and decided to walk away, and didn't go to the auction. An unmarked rifle would be harder to re-sell. Glad he let me examine it and take pictures. Maybe I let a "big one" get away?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by tinsmith View Post
    .....Rifling in the bore was very thin, almost smooth-bore near the muzzle.......
    Can't speak to anything else about this gun but I suspect that the muzzle was coned in order to facilitate easier loading. I have a coning tool and have coned my .54 GM barrel. It certainly loads easier (no need at all for a short-starter) and accuracy was not hampered in the least.