Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a .410 hand tool loader

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I have made a home made 410 loader with a punch to remove the primer ,then quarter inch driver screw driver handle to seat New primer ,cut down 44 brass for shot scoops ,and small pistal casing for powder scope.I got fancy and jb welded couple 223 brass on scopes for handles but I did by plastic crimp finisher for the Mic to set the crimp by hand. It will work till I find a good lee classic . It was for my younger brother to play with good for a box or two at a time .strange but he did not want to just use my 600 . O by the way check out a good role crimper with a sack of clay buster wads you can recycle your empty halls on the cheap and have a blast.
    Got any pictures of this set up? I'm really interested in seeing it

Moderator Emeritus

As to loads, I'll be going by BPI's manual, plus their buckshot and small gauge manuals. I have moulds for .311" and .360" buckshot/RB's, and that will be for his defensive rounds. The#6's in 3" hulls, mostly for armadillos or other pests around the house, and maybe to keep the deer out of his garden and flowers that his Mom planted. Long ago when my son, now 44, was only about 8 or 9, I got him a little .410 to learn with, cut the stock to fit and the barrel to balance, and remounted the front sight so it'd look "kosher" (very important at that age!) and replaced some factory loads with 3 or 4 .380" RB's in a 3" shell, and tested them at 40 yds. Oh! Also used corn meal as a filler! At 40 yds., they'd print in a pattern about the size of an outstretched hand. He was a darned good shot for his age, and I took him deer hunting with it, confident that he'd kill a deer if we saw one, but we never got the chance for him to see. Very shortly thereafter, he commandeered my very accurate Mini-14, and claimed THAT as "HIS" deer rifle, and I could only consent. He was a bit fidgety then, and never got a shot with it, but he was a darn good shot, and knew deer anatomy from what I'd taught him. Whenever I saw a deer in a magazine pic, I'd ask him to mark where he'd put his bullet, and he'd always put his mark in just the right spot. He was pretty darned good with that gun, too! I taught him how to pull the trigger so the sights didn't move just as the trigger let go, and he was placing his shots like a pro at a very early age. I suspect my cousin will be something fairly like that. He's bright, understands angles, etc., and with a little discourse on game anatomy, and a little coaching, and maybe a little work on the gun, I think he'll find it'll do all that he presently has in mind. Wouldn't surprise me if he adds to the collection now that he's home, and CAN do that, though. Time'll tell, as always. Just good to hae a new shooter, and one who'll understand how to use it and load for it. He's got some thinking ahead for him, but he's an old hand at that. Loads will be pretty garden variety except fo those buckshot self defense loads. The little .410 is often under-rated for that purpose. If he ever has to use it, it'll be very unlikely it'll be at over 40 yds., and up to that distance, a hit with 3-5 01/2 to 000 buckshot at decent velocity should do very well. He's got quick hands, so followup shots with that old bolt gun shouldn't be too slow, either. I'll be teaching him to work the bolt with the pad still on his shoulder, and the light recoil should enhance speed of his followup shots, too. I suspect his next purchase will be a handgun - something really easy to carry, and I'll be talking him into getting his CCW if I can, too. I think he'd find that really satisfying, even if it does set being home now well apart from being in SE Asia. It should really "set him free," mentally, and give him a very new perspective that I think he'll find very refreshing and satisfying. Time'll tell.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Look at the Factory loads made by Federal for the Taurus 45/410 handguns. They are a beast at close range and it would behoove you to up the funds for a box that would cover any close range encounter. They are wicked. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I haven't heard that it would "behoove of you" since I was a boot. I've looked at them and I might pick up a box next check if I can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12