WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I believe I am selling my AR

Boolit Master
    One of my most accurate guns is an AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel. The majority of the time it has a 5 round magazine in it because I like shooting 5 round groups, and that is what I take for hunting when I am shooting more than 200 yards. I have pulled off groups in the teens with that thing with nothing more than a slight tune to the mil spec trigger.

Boolit Master

I didn't mean to imply that I didn't like ARs. I know the old M1 is obsolete and heavy, but for just enjoyable shooting at the range I really like it. If I was into competition, hunting, or ever likely to use a rifle "for real", I'm sure I would appreciate the AR. My AR will shoot circles around my M1s, as far as accuracy.

xacex, we still need to get together at the range one of these days. From previous conversations, I believe we're local.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that I didn't like ARs. I know the old M1 is obsolete and heavy, but for just enjoyable shooting at the range I really like it. If I was into competition, hunting, or ever likely to use a rifle "for real", I'm sure I would appreciate the AR. My AR will shoot circles around my M1s, as far as accuracy.

xacex, we still need to get together at the range one of these days. From previous conversations, I believe we're local.
    Lol, I have a memory of a hamster some days. That's right, same town, same club. Now that I am done and graduated from OSU I have some time on my hands waiting for interviews. Sounds like a plan. I still have to pick your brain about those cougars. I have an area where I got stalked by a tom this spring up Pevine while I was checking trail cams.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle R. View Post
    I like my single shots for some things.
    I like my bolt actions for some things.
    But there's nothing inherent in the AR design that forces you to become a careless blaster.

Some of my most accurate rifles are ARs.

Just because there are 30 rounds in the mag doesn't mean you have to fire them as fast as you can, doesn't mean you have to keep firing until the mag is empty.

Sometimes, if you're facing big close multiple targets, fast firing is appropriate.
    Sometimes, if you're facing small, distant or mostly concealed targets, slow deliberate carefully aimed fire is in order.
    When I practice or compete with my ARs I strive to get hits. I get as many as I can, as fast as I can, and use whatever technique I must to get hits.

I bought my first AR way back in the 80s.
    I resisted manfully for a long time. I didn't like the dang things.
    I thought they were ugly and the guys who owned them were Rambo wanna-bees.
    I was competing frequently in practical shooting matches with targets out to 200 yards or sometimes even more. Many of the targets were very small and very demanding. MOA rifles were needed to get consistent hits, and HITS were required if you were going to win.

DVC!
    Accuracy, then speed, and finally power.
    I was competing with my lovely National Match M1A.
    I had pretty good accuracy and plenty of power but I couldn't get the speed.
    I was getting beat again and again by guys with mouse guns. I was losing to what Colonel Cooper derisively called "Poodle Shooters."

Sure, they were plastic.
    Sure, they were garish looking when you're used to walnut and steel.
    Sure, they were cheap when compared to my beautiful match rifle.
    Sure, they had strange ergonomics when you're not accustomed to vertical pistol grips.
    And they were winning.
    They shot sub-MOA groups and they shot those groups really fast as they had very little recoil and almost no muzzle rise.

I finally acknowledged reality. I finally admitted to myself that for laying down accurate fire with speed an AR was hard to beat. I bought my first, a Coal Valley Eagle Arms A2 HBAR that I still cherish. I worked up a good load, practiced, learned the controls, got used to the ergonomics, and became competitive.

I still have my National Match M1A. It's a sweet rifle and I doubt I'll ever let it go. If I need accuracy with big power it's ready. If I don't need .308 power I generally reach for one of the ARs.
    After years of competition and varmint hunting and general experience with the platform I'm more convinced than ever.
    For laying down accurate fire, fast or slow, a good AR is hard to beat.

Uncle R.
    Daggonit Uncle R. Why you gotta come in here and be all like speaking common sense and stuff? How dare you not continue an incorrect stereotype and completely false line of thinking? HOW DARE YOU!!

Back to the OP. It's a hard sell on a parts gun when a new with warranty AR can be bought for close to the same price. Sit on it and sell it to some suckers during the next gun control scare.

Boolit Master

Well, if you don't like plastic and aluminum, there are ARs that are made from steel and wood.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Well, if you don't like plastic and aluminum, there are ARs that are made from steel and wood.

I have an 80% AR10 steel lower I would like to case harden like that. I am watching a build on weapons guild where he is taking that same 80% lower and making it a 30-06. The lower is easy to stretch, the upper is what I am waiting for.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking about this again, I did sell the ar and I feel it was the right choice. The fella is happy and the money will go to car repairs. As I was thinking I thought the M1a again and gene Hackman with his garand in uncommon valor
    I like the large cartridge like a .06. I'd be tickled pink with either right now.

Thats a turnbull AR-15. Excellent quality stuff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post

Beautiful!

Don't much care for the looks of the rifle though...

Uncle R.

Boolit Master

Beautiful!

Yeah, we're all either Dirty Old Men or Dirty Old Men in Training...

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think there's ever a good time to sell a gun, but necessity forces it occasionally.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Used AR's do sell on Gunbroker for respectable prices, even AWB era guns sans evil features and no mag are going for $400.00 or so. I think that's pretty good considering you can buy a new one with formerly banned features and a 30 round mag for $500.00.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Put a 458 Socom upper on top and it will change your perspective in several ways.

I think this is the best way to change it to something fun. My SOCOM IS ONE MY FAVORITES BIG THUMPER.

Boolit Man
    Beautiful!

Uncle R.
    X2!

Boolit Master
    My lust for a Garand grows!!

Quote Originally Posted by 9w1911 View Post
    My lust for a Garand grows!!
    Get one. I just did and its pretty awesome.

If anything sell the upper and buy a 458 when you can... I hear that one has recoil

Oops. I read page one and didn't notice the 5 others
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I used to be opposed to ARs just because they were made of plastic. Then I started to get beat consistently by youngsters with ARs. So I started looking into them. Not the best platform for cast, but 15 years later, all of my most accurate rifles using jacketed are ARs. I just spent about $350, using a $99 barrel bought on this site, and 200 rounds later I have a lightweight usable carbine that shoots two different sub moa loads. I think I could come up with two more good loads if I was willing to spring for the SMKs. I have a heavy barrel .223 that shoots the SMKs in the .2s, but I also have 1,000 in it, and real glass on it. My .450b will hold sub moa out to 300 yards, with $250 glass, and it didn't take an hours load work to get there. Less than $800 in that one. So today I'm a believer.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm slowly building an M16 lookalike. So far I have the A2 stock and carry handle/rear sight. Next payday I should be able to pick up the lower and maybe the associated parts. Anderson Mfg. (based right here in the Bluegrass) makes a complete M16 style upper for $400.00 or so, I'll be saving for it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    I used to be opposed to ARs just because they were made of plastic. Then I started to get beat consistently by youngsters with ARs. So I started looking into them. Not the best platform for cast, but 15 years later, all of my most accurate rifles using jacketed are ARs. I just spent about $350, using a $99 barrel bought on this site, and 200 rounds later I have a lightweight usable carbine that shoots two different sub moa loads. I think I could come up with two more good loads if I was willing to spring for the SMKs. I have a heavy barrel .223 that shoots the SMKs in the .2s, but I also have 1,000 in it, and real glass on it. My .450b will hold sub moa out to 300 yards, with $250 glass, and it didn't take an hours load work to get there. Less than $800 in that one. So today I'm a believer.
    About what my walk into these things was. Now if I could convince the fuds out there hunting with inaccurate bolt guns with nice wood, and bluing that has to get wiped down every night for fear of rust in out northwest weather that I am not trying to be a mall ninja. I just like accurate rifles that I don't need to worry about bluing or wood, and functions every time I pull the trigger. Every time I run across one in the woods they think I am hunting with a 223 for deer or elk. It is not until I point out the hole in the muzzle do they go "oh." Then I say 50 cal and they think I am shooting elk with a 50 BMG!!! Cant win...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast