WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help headspacing a wildcat

Boolit Buddy

Help headspacing a wildcat

I want to build a rifle chambered for a 38spl. necked down to 30cal. My question is, does the headspace tolerances change when a shoulder is added to a straight walled case?

The headspace never changes on a rimmed cartridge case. They only headspace on the rim itself, regardless of, if it's a straight case or one with a shoulder.

Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting build. Ought to be about like one of the English rook rifles for performance. I don't see that the headspace tolerance should be any different. The addition of a shoulder to the case gives you the option to establish headspace on the shoulder rather than the rim. I would certainly aim toward neck sizing or simply kissing the shoulder enough to allow the round to chamber without interference. What action are you wanting to build on. Sounds like a round well suited to a Martini Cadet or other small single shot.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Interesting indeed. Only one question pops in my mind? Why .30? Why not .260? I mean, .38 spl case is so small..

Boolit Grand Master

The "headspace tolerances" for the 38 SPL case are based on the rim. They are what they are. However, your wildcat is creating a shoulder on the case and you may wish to headspace on the shoulder instead of the rim. Then finish ream the chamber so the rim of the cartridge is properly head spaced. Then when forming the cases neck the case down forming the shoulder and set it back so you can feel a slight crush fit when the bolt or breach block is closed on the chambered case. The case is then head spacing on the shoulder to fit the bolt/BB to shoulder dimension. It should fire form with minimal case stretching if any and case life should be very good if minimal sizing is done.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Sort of a scaled down .32 Miller Short, eh?
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    Lol, I have a spare 30 caliber barrel laying around. It's an old shortened (21") military barrel that didn't cost me anything so if I fowl it up I'm not out much.

the rifle is a Rossi single shot that I'm going to stub the barrel to.

Just something to play with.

Thanks for the info on the headspace.
    Last edited by webradbury; 08-05-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I always liked the Ackley improved chambers with the 45 degree shoulder.....
    NRA certified pistol instructor & RSO.

When you get it done, it would be interesting to hear how it works out..

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-05-2015 at 04:45 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the idea doing a google search for 30 caliber wildcat cartridges. This fellow in TN posted this online and said he built an H and R rifle with the round. Seems like it would be a fun plinker/rabbit/squirrel round to teach my sons marksmanship. It's also a reason for me to go to my shop and do fun stuff!

I plan to use the Lee 309-120 boolit, but I'm going to turn the mold down to remove the gas check and lighten the bullet a smidge.

Boolit Buddy
    That ought to be a wonderful little, low recoil round. In today's spotty availability of 22 RF the attraction of a small reloadable round with cast bullets undeniable. I've been watching for an affordable Marlin 1892 32 Colt for that very reason. I have the dies to convert 32 S&W brass to 32 Colt and a big bag of 32 S&W brass but no rifle yet. Keep us posted on this project. Sounds like fun.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    What kind of twist rate would you propose ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't got a clue. I just build and hope for the best!

Boolit Master

Made up just such a cartridge back in the mid 70's and have used it ever since. Wonderful little round. Used a Stevens 44 action and a old takeoff 17 Enfield barrel but have also made others using a 94 Marlin and also on a Chicopie action with a Green Mountain barrel. All seem to shoot to minute of prairie dog to 100 yards.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Buddy
    I just went out to my shop and necked down a couple 357 mag cases with 7.62 Tokarev dies I ordered the other day. Worked very well!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    That should a bunch of fun right there . What are ya going to call it ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    Well the fellow in TN called it the 30 Badger. Also, I found a thread by 357 maximum here, where he is talking about the round. But these were based on 38 spl cases. I also found it referred to as 30 Reese. I think I'm sticking to 357 mag cases. We'll call it the "Squirrel Hammer".

In Remembrance

A fellow on this site that went under the avatar as Badgeredd made up quite a few of these little .30 guns. He used any .30 cal. rifle barrel and an H&R single shot break open shotgun was his favorite. He would chop the shotgun barrel about 6-8" in front of the reciever. He would also cut the .30 barrel off in front of the chamber. He would weld/fit the barrels inside each other then work on adapting the extractor/ejector. Since he did so much work on the guns and loads besides correct loading dies, the round got the name "30 Badger". Whether he was first to make this round/gun combo is unknown. I have shot his creations and can vouch as to their `fun gun` hype.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    A fellow on this site that went under the avatar as Badgeredd made up quite a few of these little .30 guns. He used any .30 cal. rifle barrel and an H&R single shot break open shotgun was his favorite. He would chop the shotgun barrel about 6-8" in front of the reciever. He would also cut the .30 barrel off in front of the chamber. He would weld/fit the barrels inside each other then work on adapting the extractor/ejector. Since he did so much work on the guns and loads besides correct loading dies, the round got the name "30 Badger". Whether he was first to make this round/gun combo is unknown. I have shot his creations and can vouch as to their `fun gun` hype.Robert
    This is exactly what I'm doing. I am using a Rossi 20 gauge and I'm going to stub the barrel to the 20 gauge chamber. I know I will have to lengthen the ejector some. I'll worry about that when it comes time. Everything else is just lathe work. I'll post it if it turns out ok.

It may be a while due to a Krag Rifle i'm building right now.
    Last edited by webradbury; 08-06-2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: duplicate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast