Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite single shot action?

Boolit Master
    Wow...I saw that Gun Robber had an Alexander-Henry for 8 grand. They are a beautiful rifle. The Farquhason is classically beautiful. I hadn't thought of the advantage of the side lever or rolling block but it is definitely an. I can also see it as being more convenient even at the bench. You can sit the rifle down, work and load the action. My Ruger No.1, Winchester 1885 and my Sharps all require a few machinations to get it back in action.
    [

The AH is a classic because at least for me the hammer is left handed. I've managed to add two to my collection
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I've owned and shot the 1885 and the Pedersoli Sharps and a TC 83. Also had a Rolling Block pistol, on which the hammer was soft enough to take on the impression of the firing pin head. So far I prefer the High Wall. I would love to own one of each.
    Hate is a poison which one consumes expecting another to die.

Boolit Master
    1. Dakota
    2. Original HiWall
    3. Martini Cadet
    4. Ballard

Boolit Master

I wish this had been a poll! Actually I have been pleasantly surprised to see that my favorite SS action the 1885 HighWall seems to be near the top, both the original design and newer and quite different modern versions are very appealing. I was never much of a Rolling Block fan as the lines and action type just don't appeal to me but then that's just me and in no way is meant as a slap at those classic old beasts!

My second choice as most appealing in the looks dept has to be the Trapdoor but oddly it doesn't seem to get much mention here? Everyone has their own tastes for style and preferences for operation type so it would be impractical for any of us to definitively say which is "best" because they all have their strong and weak points, for instance the Trapdoor has classic lines that appeal to nostalgia and has developed a huge following but is nothing to brag about for strength of the action while the Ruger no.1/3 is on top of the list for strength but is sort of in a category of it's own for style. The bottom line is they all have their good points and some not so good points but it's no problem for me because I like'em ALL!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

1. Original HighWalls
    2. Trapdoor Springfields
    3. Ballards

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Over the past 40-odd years, I've owned/shot/hunted with many (but not all) different CF & RF single shot rifles.

They were:

* Trapdoor Springfield
    * Browning M-78's & 1885's
    * H&R/NEF
    * Martini (BSA)
    * Remington RB's, #4 & #1's
    * Ruger #1's & #3's
    * Savage 219's
    * Stevens Favorite
    * T/C Contender Carbine, Encore, TCR-83 Aristocrat's & TCR-87
    * Winchester M-1885 Winder Musket

YMMV, but I prefer the break-open rifles (Savage 219, T/C TCR's) for hunting (I don't usually shoot at targets, unless zeroing a rifle) due to their relatively light weight & fast lock times.

For me, The Savage 219's issue chamberings don't offer a wide-enough choice, so my favorite single-shot is the T/C TCR-83 (like the one below).

I have one of those that looks just like yours. I bought it on Gunbroker after talking to you many months ago. Since then I've decided I can't afford to keep it. Since I haven't even had time to shoot it, I'm going to pay a gunsmith to check it out before I list it (with two barrels and two scopes in mounts). If you wish, I'll let you know when I put it on the block, probably here on S&S.

Take care, Tom

1. Ruger #1 257 Roberts
    2. Ruger #1 45-70
    3. New Mfg Win 1885 32-40
    4. Nwe Mfg Win 1885 .223
    "If we wern't all crazy we would be insane"
    Jimmy Buffett

1) Ruger #1
    2) Browning 78 (Win High-wall)
    3) Dakota

I was surprised Dakota wasn't mentioned sooner than gnoahh's post#24. Would probably been at the top of my list but I've never been able to afford one!

Boolit Master
    Ruger #1
    Original High Wall
    Martini Cadet
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    1. Remington Hepburn
    2. Stevens 44 1/2
    3. W, Highwall
    4. Ballard
    5 Sharps '74
    A good selection there.
    I have always been partial to the original Winchester Highwall.
    I had some very nice ones.
    Now I have one built by the old Ballard Co in Cody Wy. It is a .38/55
    I also have one designed by Ed Weber of Montana. It is .40/65

I enjoy shooting the 74 Sharps,especially in .50/90 I would say it is the most fun of all my single shots.

I would have to say my two favorites are my Shiloh Custom .50/90,and my Ruger #1 in .405 win. Both rifles are phenomenal.
    For hunting I have the best of both worlds with black or smokeless..
    Both rifles are in my top five all time favorites that I have owned.
    If shooting the Big 50 doesn't put a smile on your face ,nothing will.
    Like playing a great Les Paul through a Marshall amp. It is something you have to experience.
    Last edited by Clay M; 08-06-2015 at 07:55 PM.

In Remembrance

To quote W.C. Fields: " you can never have tii many martoonies." The Martini action is the quintessential single shot action if you don't want one of those distracting hammers flopping about when you pull the trigger. Personally, I am a big fan of single shot actions from the classic Martini, to the Ruger #1, Remington rollers, Sharps, Winchester/Browning Highwalls, Trapdoors, H&R/NEI break actions. Snider, T/C Encore, Stevens "tip-up," or even the Floberts all of which I occasionaly get to play with. If you need more than one shot, your marksmanship is suspect!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Torzsok View Post
    Martini Cadet!
    Martini 22
    Was my first single shot in 1950, but followed closely by pig tail Winchester 37 same year.
    Loaned(stolen) later in life by ROTC cadet's father who 'borrowed' it for her to use with shooting team.
    Have to hope it is still serving well somewhere.

H&R then Martini Cadet, but only because those are the only ones I have. Someday.....

Boolit Master
    Ruger #1 45/40, BSA model 12 22rf, what I think is another model 12 with canadian markings arrow within a circle 22rf, and a peabody saddle ring carbine in 56-50. But have had high walls, low walls and trapdoor springfield. Frank

Do someone mention Martini's; I have a few of them also!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Moderator Emeritus
    Deeley Edge falling block.

Martini, large and small frame.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

1885 & Martini top my list - they're bombproof and simple to operate: open, feed, close, shoot.

Sharps and Trapdoors are harder for me to warm up to. You have to get into a Zen Zone to smoothly get through all the steps needed to fire one.

Ballards and rolling blocks fall in the middle: not as simple as the one, not as complex as the other.

I don't think the Chassepot is going to make my list, but stay tuned. Shooting that one appears to be moderately complex - it's making the ammo that looks to be the mind-bender.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Side leaver Deeley & Edge,but if you must have a hammer the Soper or Fields side leavers would be my pick

Banned

remington rolling block - original or replica. easy to take the action apart to clean and maintain and replace the firing pin, strong, reliable, ambidextrous, minimum movement to open & close the action. probably more rolling blocks were built than all other 19th century rifles/actions combined.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast