WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Bullet seating question

Boolit Master

Bullet seating question

I am want to use a 311407 bullet in my Remington 742 3006. I thought I had it seated in far enough but to get it to chamber I have to move it in all the way in covering the lube grooves just leaving the nose sticking out. This means the bullet is down in the body of the case a fair amount. Is this ok? Or does it raise pressures? My 742 has been fixed as a straight pull to keep the receiver from wearing out and getting the rail marks worse so common on these. The load is 20 grains of 2400.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Depending on things like the bullet design, pressure will change. less volume (deeper seating) for the powder means a higher pressure. this will be largely dependent on the burn rate of the powder as well as many other factors.

-Zach

Boolit Grand Master

Just how much boolit is inside the case. Post photo's.
    I don't have an example of 311407 so don't know just how much is below the neck.
    Could make a difference.

Boolit Master

A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

Bullet will now chamber note only one lube groove showing. Before when it wouldn't chamber there was three showing. That bullet has to be relived it was pulled.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

From the bottom bullet in question will now chamber. Next one up will chamber 115 grains. Third one from bottom will chamber but going to pull them. don't have that many and heavier bullets. Top won't chamber out too far evidently too so going to pull them also. The ones I am going to pull I don't have that many probably 60 total. Pull them and reload them with the 311407 bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    What size boo lit is it actually dropping at. If bigger than .311 that might be the problem.

Boolit Master

I size everything .309.