63 3.76%
  • 81-85

15 0.89%
  • OLDER THEN 85

7 0.42%
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of boolit casters

Boolit Buddy
    Been reloading and casting for close to 45 years off and on, breaks from time to time for life choices. Started as a child with Dad in the late 60's, took a few breaks here and there for college, wife's career moves. Retired from farming 2 years ago, and at 63, trying to catch up on some of the shooting I've missed. Shoot all disciplines, if it makes noise, I do it. Shoot quite a bit of clays, sporting, and some trap, more pistol than rifle, but want to start more PC and loading for my rifles too.

As old as this thread is...its likely that some of us originally voted in an age bracket that is no longer valid...bump me up one age bracket from 51-55 to 56-60

hahahaha

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

In the woods, where I cant see my neighbors
    Reloading age = 7yrs. Current phase of civilian life, 5yrs old. 20 years of service life prior to that. 18 years of childhood prior to that. Emotional maturity of a 12 year old. Somehow, I’ve accumulated 20 years of spousal companionship to this date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    As old as this thread is...its likely that some of us originally voted in an age bracket that is no longer valid...bump me up one age bracket from 51-55 to 56-60

hahahaha

redhawk
    Same here.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    ~Ben Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Been at it off and on since 74' when I bought a surplus Mosin-Nagant for $15.00. First mold was a 160 gr. Lee mold; I think $6.85 back then and shortly after a Lee loader. Made a mistake back in the early 90's and fooled with a scatter-gun for 12 years; 12 good years down the tube!..................

Boolit Mold
    Just started this week actually. I did help my buddy a few months ago so I was familiar with the process but now that I did everything myself, I'm hooked! It was actually pretty enjoyable.

Boolit Bub
    Started at age 12 in 1956 with 454190 and a 357446 double cavity moulds. Still at it 63 years later and have about 85 moulds, only ten or so I still use. Gonna have a sale one day.

Boolit Master
    I figure we did it off and on for 20 years to make round balls or 38 Special wad-cutters, then as we got older we put more effort into the craft to begin turning out real nice bullets for many calibers. We read the literature (before the "net") to educate ourselves, read all the manuals which had correct information compiled by industry experts and was vetted. Off we went and learned the craft.

Today it seems, the "craft" is purchasing Super Hard bullets from Amazon and having them delivered yesterday. When I go to the range and show to <40 crowd cast bullet ammo for the 30-30 or the 7.62x39 or the 35 Remington or other calibers, they cringe in disbelief. I showed a guy my 45 ACP barrel after shooting 200+ rounds of cast bullets through it in the last hour and he gave me that "bullsh&t" look. I offered to let him shoot some of the ammo in his 45 and he looked like I slapped him!

Having tried to interest the younger crowd (with notable exceptions), I kind of gave up and am now resolved to continue talking to myself, alone, at smelting and casting sessions. To spend a day casting and working your craft is simply not done in the younger "instant" generation. This is all perhaps cyclic too. With the advent of boxed ammunition readily available at the general store for your 44 or 45, who needed to cast and reload when factory stuff was right there? The decades following the turn of the 20th century through the 60's probably saw grandpa's Ideal molds rusting away in the barn. Then came Gunsmoke and the wealthier post WWII gereration known as the boomers. We had more money, more time, and more inclination. We didn't have to reload and cast, we wanted to reload and cast because we had traits of craftsmanship instilled in us by our parents and grandparents.

Time moves on and me thinketh that the cycle is on its downward (non-interest) direction. Perhaps my grandkids will find my rusty old Lyman and RCBS molds in the work shed next to my bright and shiny Accurate Mold and Lee Aluminum molds. Wait until they see the brass molds!

Man I have tried to interest the younger crowd but it's like shouting at the moon. I am waiting for that one young'n to show an interest but frankly don't hold out much hope for it. Those of you who may have interested friends and family locally to you and can share the craft with are very lucky indeed. I am envious.

Well it's time to bump up the age group for most of us like some have mentioned. Let's all hope the initial age group holds its measure or better yet, starts increasing!

Safe casting and shooting!

Boolit Master
    I've been at it a long time and I find it one of my most fascinating and enjoyable hobbies. I feel fortunate, a lot of great gentlemen that where here before this current forum have passed on. Hope I can hang on as long as I can.

Boolit Mold
    Current age is 49 and I've cast bullets since 2008.

Boolit Bub
    As far east as one can go in North America
    Started casting lead in clay molds when i was about 10, so 1980. Mostly little cannons for ship models and slingshot ammo. Used the garbage fire and home made tools. Ladles made from a coat hanger and a jar lid.....i made lots of those. My mother still has some of them
    Made the molds at school, teacher thought it was pretty cool.
    Always liked casting, pewter, brass aluminum, pot metal, if it would melt, i`d cast it.
    Started casting boolits around 2014 when i got my first muzzleloader, then started for .303.
    Made a .32 RB mold from soapstone, still used it, beer did get a “proper” mold. I`ve cast more boolits and round ball than i will ever shoot. I really enjoy the casting process.

Been reloading since 1982 but started to cast in 2008 should have done it long before.

Boolit Mold
    Started reloading in the early 70's and casting followed quickly behind as the only way to afford to shoot back then was to make my own. Shudder to think about the number of rounds I have run through the equipment I bought when I first started. Love the fact that the original investment can last so long. Back then I could find all kinds of scrap lead....hard to do these days. I recently found several buckets of wheel weights used by big trucks. So I guess it is still possible to scrounge up the makings of ammunition. But the different companies that sell lead pretty much mixed any way you want it is becoming more common these days. Sort of takes some of the fun out of it but also can find some pretty clean mixtures that don't require near as much work to get ready for use. Still have an old cast iron pot, hot plate, and ingot mold...just in case I run into any more of those wheel weights. Thanks for sharing stories about such a great hobby.
    You can get much further with a kind word, and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone. Al Capone

Dad taught me casting and reloading when I was 6 years old. 1961. I'm still using the same moulds, Lyman 45, and many of the dies that I learned on. Dad also taught me to take care of my things that I want to last.

Boolit Mold
    Started about 1980 pouring round balls. The beginning of a life long addiction. Don't ever start. See you at reloadaholics anonymous meetings.

Banned

I started casting bullets and handloading when I was 12 in 1970! I'll be 62 in June and I'm still enjoying both of them!

Boolit Buddy
    I have been casting off & on for about 50 yrs. years ago it was just for my muzzle loaders. Last 5 yrs got into it more for center fire .now I have 5 slngle shot rifles in different cal. that I cast for. I am 82.

Just starting....actually haven't even started yet....preparing to start at 47 years old.

Boolit Bub
    I have been casting since age 15, will be 60 in a few months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Started casting last summer. I'm 33.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast