Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: People Who Have Inspired Us

Boolit Buddy

People Who Have Inspired Us

The thread, "We plan our lives.........." got me to thinking of those who have inspired me in my lifetime. I am hoping that this thread will be a place for all of us to post stories about those who have been an inspiration in each of our lives. I will start it by posting about "The Biscuit Man."

THE BISCUIT MAN

In 1978, while serving in the army, I assigned to a training position at a remote location. My son was four at the time and we were expecting ours second child. Money was very tight in those days. As part of my job, each morning I would drive to the fort, get into a military vehicle, and drive for almost an hour to the training site/ Once there, I would prepare the facility for the day's activities and open it no later than 7 A.M. To do this, I would leave home about 4:30 or 5 in the morning.

A few miles from my destination, at a crossroads in the middle of nowhere, was a tiny diner, owned and operated by a very large black man, sometimes with the help of his granddaughter. The diner had maybe four stools at the counter and perhaps three or four booths. How he scratched out a living in such a small diner, I have no idea. I would stop and have breakfast, The food was excellent (he made the best biscuits you ever tasted), the place was always spotlessly clean, and the man always had a smile on his face. As I said, physically, he as a very big man and a very strong man. But, his faith in God was even stronger. As I got to know him, we talked a lot and he came to call me, in a friendly way, “Little White Boy.”

One morning, I was running late and I only had one dollar in my pocket. I stopped at the diner and ordered a sausage biscuit. The man looked at me and said, “Little white boy, you can't make it to lunch on just a sausage biscuit.” I explained that I was in a hurry and only had one dollar anyway. He grinned, went into the kitchen, returning a few minutes later with a paper sack. I was in such a hurry, I didn't notice the sack was unusually heave.

I got the facility,put a pot of coffee on and began preparing to open. When I had everything ready, I poured a cup of coffee and opened the paper sack. Inside was several biscuits, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, and a small container of gravy. I looked at the receipt stapled to the sack. It read, “1 sausage biscuit: $1.00.”

On my way home that evening, I stopped and told the man I would pay him for the “extra food” as soon as I could. He told me that I would NOT. He said that when his granddaughter was just a baby, her parents had both been killed in an accident. He was alone, running the diner, living in a small storage room in the back, with a baby girl to care for. He told me that just when he thought there was no way he could survive doing it all, God sent neighbors from all around, black neighbors, white neighbors, neighbors of all races, some of them he didn't even know at the time. Some helped in the diner, some cared for the baby in the back room, and all assured him that God would provide.

He said, “Son,this is my way of paying back those who helped me when I thought I could not go on. If you really want to pay me back, someday, when you see someone in need, help them. That is what Christ would have done. Follow His example.”

After that day,every time I went in that diner, alone or with my family and no matter what we ordered, my check always said, “1 sausage biscuit: $1.00.”

All those years ago,and I have NEVER forgotten that man nor the lesson God taught me through him.

Boolit Buddy
    Mines simpler.. My best friends dad was a big portion of my early years. When I graduated HS and then dropped out of college I fell into the small town trap of working at the local chemical plant where he did. I was 20 and was visiting at his house for Christmas and made a comment... "one day I am gonna leave the company and find a descent job." Mr. Russell look at me and with a stern voice said "Nope your not. Your gonna do what everyone else is and die at this company broke as the day you started." I was instantly furious. I wanted to shout back but out of respect held my tounge.

Mr. Russell has passed some years back. I sit here now with a masters in Aerospace engineering and a Chief Engineer in an AF research laboratory all because I was going to "show that old bastard he was wrong". Best harsh words I ever got in my life and one of the few times I ever had stubbornness work for me not against me.

Steven

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

My parents and a couple of teachers I had that heard my different drum.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I can't pass this thread up , there have been so many people that have shaped who I am . They deserve credit , I deserve none .
    I was born and raised in the worst part of town , locals called it Dog Patch . Nothing but poor people lived there but the most were good folks . My family went to church at least three times a week , seems like mom was forever making a pie or cake to take for some occasion there . Dad was always there to fix the plumbing , workday , or whatever needed fixing at the church . I spent a lot of time there as a child , it was a second home . There was a lot of hard work and people that had little and struggled to live .

Mr. Knowles :
    He was a world war one vet , he had been in the cavalry . He had a two up team of horses and plowed gardens for people or whatever you could do with a team to make a little money . He lived in a tiny one room shack with the horses kept in a small lot out back , he was very old . He lived down the street from us and all the church ladies (didn't make any difference what church) would get together and make a plan to feed the one's who were in need , to tell the truth I don't know how that worked ........it just did. My sister or me delivered the plates to folks when mom made them , children of others did the same . I liked Mr. Knowles , I always wanted to take his plate when it came our turn . I was about six years old when I started delivering , it was always food that was cheap but heck that is what we all ate , potatoes , 'pork', gravy , onions . He was always glad to see me (probably anybody) and would offer to share but I had been instructed to decline (everyone offered to share regardless how little they had back then) .

I would stop at his shack and talk to him often , he would beg me to stay and eat with him . He would get a can of soup , add a can of water and we would eat it off of tin plates , I thought that was cool BUT we would pray first and thank GOD fro the blessings he had bestowed on us , Mr. Knowles would help me pray .

When I was around ten years old Mr Knowles passed out and fell over his cookstove one evening and caught himself on fire . He managed to drag himself to the fence of his neighbor Mrs Bartlett and call out till she found him , neighbors loaded him up and took him to the hospital . My mom visited him a lot in the next few days as did many of his neighbors . He suffered much and died , I heard them talking . We all were sad .

Mr. Knowles taught me so much , he was simple. He had nothing but was happy , he loved GOD , He appreciated others , he was a good man . We all are the product of our raising and influence of shared experience .

I remember so many people that were part of what I am today , we all do if we stop and put it together , I have a lot of story's , we all do .
    Last edited by Boaz; 08-07-2015 at 08:22 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Thank you, Boaz. That is exactly the kind of story I was hoping for. Very inspiring.

Perm-Banned
    Gods son. he made me right with God. he made it so my name is wrote in the lambs book of life.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    Gods son. he made me right with God. he made it so my name is wrote in the lambs book of life.

Amen, brother!

Boolit Master
    I can think of lots of people but I'll start with just one.... my mother-in-law, Louise.

She was already a widow when I started dating my wife. Her husband was a truck driver, hard working and on the road a lot. Most of the kids were raised (my wife was the youngest and she was 16). Louise never had much, but she kept her place up and kept a nice garden. Most people didn't know it but she cooked dinner for the widower next door for years until he finally died. She was a kind church going lady who liked to pray, and loved taking care of her grandkids when she had the chance.

Her pastor called her a "prayer warrior", and that was probably a pretty good description. She had faith and it showed. She's been gone over 10 years now and I miss her. She was a fine example of how to think and live.
    Paul

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Thank you for sharing Pmeisel . These are the one's that shape us , they are a testimonial to our faith in GOD and to GOD himself . They inspire us to try .