RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman 45 lube feed issue help?

Lyman 45 lube feed issue help?

I am using BAC lube or to say attempting to and when I turn the wrench to feed the lube the pressure nut turns inside of the reservoir instead of creating enough pressure to the boolit sizing die to fill out the lube grooves properly.

Any good ideas on how to correct this situation?

The pressure nut is just a solid piece of steel with a single O ring at the top.

One more question as it has slipped what little mind I have left lol. Who is it here on the forum that makes sizing dies for the Lyman 45?

Thank You.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Buckshot makes the sizing dies if they aren't commercially available.

It should have two O-rings on the pressure nut. Also, maybe lube is a little too warm/soft? I know that it's summer and BAC is quite soft. It might not be giving the "grip" that you need on the lube side of the pressure nut.

New pressure nuts available here: (second item)
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page150.html
    Last edited by Beagle333; 08-04-2015 at 03:08 PM. Reason: clarity
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Moderator Emeritus

as Beagle333 said,
    Probably lube is too warm and if you have the lyman brand O-ring style pressure nut, it should have 2 Orings. ALso if the Orings are worn or torn, they grip less.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

The Pressure nut only has 1 O Ring and only 1 groove for a single O Ring. Do they just double up on the O rings? If so would someone know the correct size O ring that I may be able to purchase at a hardware store?

BAC is soft and yes I am in South TEXAS lol. But my sizer is indoors. So I would not think it would be that thin at say 80F?
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

I say take you nut to the hardware store and have them get one that will work in it and then you should be ok.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Might want to get a new pressure nut from Lyman. I believe mine has two groves for two washers. Works fine that way.

Boolit Master
    That's funny, I was going to suggest that the lube is too cold and just won't move, are you using a heater for your sizer?

not sure if lyman made pressure nuts with one o-ring - they may have as a transistion between the brass collared one and the one we have currently , it may of been shop made , i cant recall the thread but there was a post or two with the sizes ( perhaps even part #'s ) from a couple various places - if yours is shop made ... who knows
    like the others i have to agree that for some reason it isnt gripping ( it usually stays still as the pressure screw turns ) perhaps apply pressure on it ( say a open pair of needle nose pliers or such on it ) as you're screwing it down may get it started ?
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Thank You Gang. I decided that instead of messing with the thing I placed an order for a couple of new pressure nuts with the 2 O rings. Yes I have 2 Lyman 45's. One I just got done cleaning up for use but it needs the pressure nut as it has the brass sleeve and it leaked like a sieve lol.

The single O Ring pressure nut that is in it now does not look to be shop made. It is solid steel with a small lip at the to to keep the O ring from moving up as pressure is applied.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Thank You Gang. I decided that instead of messing with the thing I placed an order for a couple of new pressure nuts with the 2 O rings. Yes I have 2 Lyman 45's. One I just got done cleaning up for use but it needs the pressure nut as it has the brass sleeve and it leaked like a sieve lol.

The single O Ring pressure nut that is in it now does not look to be shop made. It is solid steel with a small lip at the to to keep the O ring from moving up as pressure is applied.
    OH, it sounds like it's the brass sleeve type without the brass sleeve and a rubber O-ring in it's place.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

umm it was made in somebody's shop .... lolz , truth be known i've some shops with better quality than some factories ..... i agree with our compadre jonB , it does indeed sound like an old sleeved type with the sleeve removed , does it pretty much match the one with the sleeve ( ermm sans sleeve lolz ) ?
    all that aside the best advice i can give is when you get your new ones and before you run them into the sizer lightly lube the o-rings with something like vaseline or a light oil , in my humble opinion this goes far in promoting their longevity
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Shortly after Lyman released the new nut the 45 that I bought about 1965 started loosing lube past the brass ring so I installed the double O ring nut and the difference was amazing.

It worked so well I replaced the nuts on the other 2 I have and never looked back.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

I am sorry as I forgot to update this thread. I received the pressure nut and it works.

JonB just out of curiosity I have read that you like the brass type of sleeve nut. I happen to have one that came with another Lyman 45 that I have. Could you elaborate on the benefits of the factory Brass sleeve nut and any mods to bring them back up to snuff?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    I am sorry as I forgot to update this thread. I received the pressure nut and it works.

JonB just out of curiosity I have read that you like the brass type of sleeve nut. I happen to have one that came with another Lyman 45 that I have. Could you elaborate on the benefits of the factory Brass sleeve nut and any mods to bring them back up to snuff?
    Yes it's true, I actually like the old style "brass ring sleeve" type better. It's as simple as that it is maintenance free.

Besides that fact that the o-rings need occasional replacement, If you aren't careful with the Orings, it's easy to cut a notch out of them after you have refilled the reservoir and re-install the pressure nut.

The old style brass sleeve never needs replacing, the small ribbon of lube that leaks out of the it, is a good indicator (if it grows large) of too much pressure or too much heat.

There are no mods, specific to the old style brass sleeve, that I'd suggest. If it has gotten damaged, then try to repair the damage and bring it to it's original condition...which may very well be near impossible, if you're not a brass-smith.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i havent tried it but i suppose one could anneal the brass ring if it starts leaking too much ,one would have to be very careful reinstalling it on the nut however so as not to spread it etc
    Je suis Charlie

Wayne Dyer