Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What classic style 22 rifles should i consider?

What classic style 22 rifles should i consider?

I lost most of my guns in a house fire a while back. So now im starting to think about a 22 rifle. Id like something on the traditional side. I am thinking, maybe a ruger 10/22 or a marlin 60. Id love a marlin 39 but I probably wont be able to find one local, or be able to afford one. I had a remington 41 targetmaster for a spell and really liked it. I'd like a marlin 882, I think is the model, bolt action with walnut stock. I wouldnt mind a henry frontier model either.

So what does everyone else use or like, that has a traditional feel and look to it?

Addendum; See post 68 for the rifle I ended up finding.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 09-17-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I've always wanted a .22 pump with an octagon barrel.
    INFIDEL

Boolit Grand Master

One thing to do is watch the used racks in the Local gun shops and also Pawn shops. Also look at gun broker, guns america and other internet aution type sites, not just at the open but look at closed auctions for what you may be interested in. Closed autions give an idea of what the item actually brought. Winchester model 75s both sporters and target models , model 52s, all the various pumps. Remingtons line up of rimfires. Rugers 77/22 and 10-22 all can be fine choices. You first need to decide what you want in a rifle

I have a Ruger 77/22 that I replaced the barrel on (very simple to do) and it will hit aspirins all day long. I also have a Ruger 10/22 that I really enjoy shooting. There are so many after market replacement parts for the 77/22 that you can pretty much replace everything but the action with the serial number. If you are looking for quick shots consider the 10/22, if not look at the 77/22.

Boolit Grand Master

A Winchester 52 has always been on my want list. Add in a 9422 or a 39a and I'd be set. If wanting a semi auto, a Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22.

Hard to beat a Ruger 10/22 for most practical shooting. You can do pretty much whatever you like with one. Custom barrels, stocks, triggers, etc.

I got mine way back in the early 70's and have not done much to it. I did put in the extended mag release, it sticks down instead of flat.
    No more inverting the gun, trying to jab a thumb in there and pull up on the mag while doing it. Bump it with a knuckle right side up, other hand below the mag to catch it when it drops. Also modified my bolt hold open so that once a new mag is inserted you can just pull the action back and release it and it releases the bolt hold open device. Again, no more fiddling.

For years I had a Bushnell 3x9x40 on it, which finally got old and funky. Been considering a couple of Red Dot sights I have.

I also have one of the old Winchester pump gallery guns, oct barrel, slide action, mine shoots .22 shorts only. Those are not easy nor cheap to come by, but they have a certain grace all their own.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winnie.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	145910

Boolit Master

I like the old Remington 510,511 or 512 rifles. The Ruger American is now with a wood stock. They are supposed to be tack drivers and economical. For money and accuracy the CZ bolt actions are tough to beat.

Boolit Grand Master

I have owned, used, and repaired most of the 22 rifles that were made in the last century. My list of good ones is short:
    Marlin 39A
    CZ 452
    Winchester 290 (also the 52, 75.........darn it, if it says Winchester, it's just all that and a bag of chips! Never saw a bad one)
    Ruger's are good, but they're about as sleek and handsome as an ACME brick, and accuracy is hit or miss.

My favorite 22 to date is a Remington Speedmaster. It will eat and cycle anything including CCI 22 Quiet. It's got all the sweetness of the Nylon66 but it's built with quality. I simply love that rifle. Best shot I ever made on a squirrel was with a Speedmaster. 75 yard head shot with iron sights. Ammo was Dynamit Nobel LR.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master
    A .22 rifle to me is pretty subjective, what feels good to me might not feel good to you. I don't normally like plastic on guns, but the Remington Nylon 66 is an exception; finding one that is affordable is another thing.

Hands down the most accurate field grade .22's I can remember shooting were old Mossbergs, some of them had a definite Buck Rogers raygun look, but they were accurate.

What I would look for, grouped by action type:

Bolt action single shot: Remington Model 41 or Winchester Model 67. Unfortunately none I have ever seen were grooved for scope mounting, which is almost a necessity for me now.

Bolt action repeater: CZ452, various Marlins. I do like an under barrel mag tube on this type of rifle, one less thing to lose.

Semi-auto: Marlin Model 60 or Winchester Model 190/290. The Marlins I have shot have all outperformed stock Ruger 10-22's. If you want to bolt parts on, the Ruger can be made to shoot accurately, but it takes effort in my experience.

Pumps: Winchester or Remington, all of the others I have had were either not reliable or not accurate enough.

Lever action: Marlin Model 39a, Winchester 94-22, or Ithaca Model 72 (precursor to the Henry, not as much plastic).

Classic singleshot: Remington Rolling Block No2 or 4 or Winchester Low wall.

Good Luck,

Robert

In Remembrance
    If you are a fan of lever actions, give the henry a look, lots of people look down on them, but most that own one likes them.
    A few years ago, I had decided a 39 or 94 just wasn't in the cards foor me, so decided on a henry. I got very, no extremely lucky and picked up a 39 for just a little less than half of a new henry.
    I have also shot and liked the brown levers, bl22 I belive it is.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    One thing to do is watch the used racks in the Local gun shops and also Pawn shops. Also look at gun broker, guns america and other internet aution type sites, not just at the open but look at closed auctions for what you may be interested in. Closed autions give an idea of what the item actually brought. Winchester model 75s both sporters and target models , model 52s, all the various pumps. Remingtons line up of rimfires. Rugers 77/22 and 10-22 all can be fine choices. You first need to decide what you want in a rifle
    ^^ This. I've picked up more guns than I would care to admit to my wife by doing this. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I've done a little work to and it shoots like a dream. I also picked up a Marlin 981t (bolt action) that I use for the under-powered loads that I don't think the Ruger would cycle. I also intend to teach my children to shoot on the bolt action first one day, before letting them move up to a semi-auto. I have heard good things about Marlin model 60s, so maybe I'll buy it one day as a gift for my son (or daughter).

Boolit Master

If you liked the Remington 41 you would like all the Remington 500 series rifles. Remington 510, 511, 512, 513 or a 550-1 all are real classics in my book. I have a 10/22 and savage17hmr but they never make it out of the safe. I shoot my 510 and 550-1 the most. I looked at an old 511 at a LGS last weekend that was made in 1947 but passed on it because someone had drilled it for a side mount. I have no doubt it would have been a good shooter.

wcp

Boolit Master

My favorite, up until I acquired a "new" .22 was my BL22, really love that short swing with the lever. Now, I'm enamored with a remy that I bought off Gunbroker that was a model I had as a young lad. Rem 550 with the "floating chamber". After a complete and thorough takedown and scrubbing, and I do mean scrubbing (especially the chamber) she cycles anything and everything I've run through her including mixing LR and shorts in the same loading. She's 100% and shoots much better than I can. Probably going to sell the BL22 and see if I can find another 550.

Boolit Grand Master

For bolt action a CZ 452. They're accurate right out of the box. For a semi I like 10/22s. But I would build one w/ Volquartsen parts instead if buying one from Ruger. I loathe 22 lever actions. I can't stand loading a tube magazine so I don't own any. There are a lot models to choose from.

Boolit Master

Loading that tube magazine is half the charm of any lever or most semi autos.

Boolit Buddy
    For the money CZ rifles are hard to beat and the CZ452 is one of my favorite low cost .22 rifles, both of my 452's love the wolf match target and will outshoot most stock rifles rimfire or centerfire.

I'm not a big fan of Ruger 10/22 many people love them for a "blank canvas" to build whatever custom gun they want to dump money into but I think a factory rifle should be functional out of the box and Rugers are really lacking bad trigger, sights, bolt catch, magazine catch, takedown screw works loose, magazines are difficult to clean and many just won't shoot accurately until they have been rebarreled.

Marlin 60's are also made very cheaply but they are also priced low and I have found them to be more accurate, reliable and user friendly than the stock 1022's.

If you are OK with a bolt gun the CZ452 (trainer, deluxe or American) is tops followed by Marlin and Savage.

Banned
    WOW, Lot of good options here.

OK, for a semi-auto I have to go with the Ruger 10/22, there just isn't a better substitute but the Marlin 60 and Remington Nylon 66 come close in terms of reliability.

Bolt action gets a little tougher. The CZ's are really hard to beat for the money. The Ruger 77/22 is a great rifle. The best all-around bolt action .22 I ever had was a Remington 541T with a standard weight barrel. Traded that for a 541 with a heavy barrel and wished I hadn't. I've seen some great Winchester Model 52's as well.

Lever action, Find a good Marlin 39A and stop looking.

Boolit Master
    This is my favorite 22RF rifle. It is a Savage Anschutz model 54 sporter.Bought it new in 1968 for 125.00 dollars. Used ones now might run you a bit more.

Boolit Master

My father bought me a Winchester Model 61 in 1957. It is with me today. It is fine classic 22.

A battery is not complete without at least one good 22 rifle. I have owned a couple Ruger 10/22's and now own a deluxe version that I like a lot. The only thing I don't like about the model 10/22 is the weight. They are a little too light for my taste. I recently acquired a 1953 model Marlin 39A that is in great condition. I had a Golden 39A years ago and kicked myself daily for trading it clear up to the day I got hold of this gem. It is not tapped for a scope and I wouldn't dare. I plan on putting a receiver peep and fiber optic front on it. If I had to buy new, I like the All American. I didn't know it was available with wood until I read this post. Wood is my preference. I had a Marlin 882 several years ago that killed every squirrel that I pointed at with it. Very accurate. Sorry to hear about the fire. That's one of my big fears. Lots of pleasant memories in my gun safe.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast