Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ar 15 coated bullet

Ar 15 coated bullet

Has anyone coated bullets for there AR'S and what worked for you. I'm thinking of trying it but would like to see if anyone has had good success with it.

Boolit Master
    Works fine. I use coated exclusively now with the 50 Beowulf, and 300 blackouts. Other have shot sub moa using the Mihec 5.56 boolit and varget with a coated boolit out of an AR-15.

I have been having good luck with the 72 grain NOE mold coated with Smokes Carolina blue PC. Lately I've even been lubing after powder coating and seems slightly more accurate.

Thanks, I'll try it I have 60 grain NOE hi-tek mold I wanted to try.

Should be a good one. 60-65 grain seems optimal size for proper seating depth and mag fit.

This interests me greatly as I have 3 kids that love to shoot my AR. Are you guys loading to full velocity or are you using reduced loads?

Boolit Master

It's been reported that cable pull lube is not an effective bullet lubricant. It has also been reported that you don't need a bullet lube when you powder coat your bullets. I like to put some lube on my bullets before running them through the sizer, even though I know that I don't really need to with the powder coasted ones, so I give them a quick tumble with the cable pull lube before sizing them. I have a large container of cable pull lube and even doing this, it's going to take me FOREVER to use it all up. I'm using it for the .300 AAC bullets though.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 08-24-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinheaver View Post
    This interests me greatly as I have 3 kids that love to shoot my AR. Are you guys loading to full velocity or are you using reduced loads?
    300 Blackout and 50 Beowulf full loads. My trial with 5.56 were reduced loads based on twist rate, and the ability for a lead .223 boolit to stay together with the given rpm. Not many manufactures of 1/12 twist AR barrels to use with cast and have the ability to come close to factory velocities.

Boolit Buddy
    I gave a go on this - not a good start...

NOE 63 grain PB - HF Red - WW - sized to 224

Sat this in front of 22.8 gr W748

The rifle is a 20" AR15.

They cronoed at 2584 FPS (faster than expected I might add) BUT the group of 10 was a dismal 22" at 50yd.

I then shot 10 of the identical load with 62gr FMJs and the group was 3-4"

Any thoughts? Is this just too damn fast?

I know I probably should have had GC's at this velocity but didn't have the mold.

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    300 Blackout and 50 Beowulf full loads. My trial with 5.56 were reduced loads based on twist rate, and the ability for a lead .223 boolit to stay together with the given rpm. Not many manufactures of 1/12 twist AR barrels to use with cast and have the ability to come close to factory velocities.
    The fast twist on my AR was what I was concerned about. Might try it anyway, then again I might just stick with Hornady FMJs.

Boolit Buddy
    I run the NOE GC at 62 grains right at 2600 over imr 3031 with decent results. Usually right at 1" at 100. I PC before the GC.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinheaver View Post
    The fast twist on my AR was what I was concerned about. Might try it anyway, then again I might just stick with Hornady FMJs.
    Try slowing it down to about 23-2400 fps, and see if the group tightens up.. You may want to try something like Varget. Something between 18, to 23 grains should get the action to cycle, and give you results you are looking for. The problem I have with the 223 cast boolits is getting checks on perfect, and culling out all of the imperfections. It seems you have to weigh them to the get anything close to a group. For cast I really recommend the 300 blackout. Much easier to get the boolits cast and gas checked properly with 30 cal, and you will achieve decent accuracy at the same velocity as jacketed. Not saying you should give up on 223, but it is a ton of work in my experience to get it to shoot well with cast, and coatings.

Boolit Bub
    my experience has been if I shoot wheel weight lead when using jacket bullet data. if I shoot minimum loads I get acceptable accuracy so 2 to 2.5 inches. i tried lino type lead and I was able to push to max loads with the same accuracy. I do not use gas checks and I sized them in a .225 lee push through sizer. I use a NOE 55 grain mold. i have been going to try gas checking them to see if that will help group size.

Ar 15 coated bullet

I'm thinking powder coated boolits using Smoke's powder, in a blackout...are about as much fun as you can have shooting an AR for the money (sub-sonic).
    Over on another forum, one of the troll knowitall members got totally up in arms when I said I was loading for "x"-cents per round.
    So I'll say it like this...
    One pound of powder and 1k box of primers will load 738 rounds. Wheel weights are free if you know where to ask. Brass can be loaded a BUNCH with no probs...just trim on occasion. Buy powder and primers in bulk...it's cheaper than shooting 22LR ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Butchman205 View Post
    I'm thinking powder coated boolits using Smoke's powder, in a blackout...are about as much fun as you can have shooting an AR for the money (sub-sonic).
    Over on another forum, one of the troll knowitall members got totally up in arms when I said I was loading for "x"-cents per round.
    So I'll say it like this...
    One pound of powder and 1k box of primers will load 738 rounds. Wheel weights are free if you know where to ask. Brass can be loaded a BUNCH with no probs...just trim on occasion. Buy powder and primers in bulk...it's cheaper than shooting 22LR ammo.
    My experience as well. But, I can load 9mm cast hollow points for my AR with red dot for even less. Would you believe 4 cents a round with pick up brass, and donated or scrounged lead? Most outside of the people who know me, and shoot with me don't believe me, but I still get a kick out of their reaction. "Derp, derp, derp, nope, nope, cant be done." lol BTW, I do 9mm 125 grain hollow points subsonic out of a 10.5 inch AR, and it is an absolute blast to shoot with a can. Full expansion of the hollow points as well. I don't know that I would use it for anything due to the low mass of a subsonic 125 grain boolit outside of shooting a rock chuck or nutria, but it sure is fun anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    My experience as well. But, I can load 9mm cast hollow points for my AR with red dot for even less. Would you believe 4 cents a round with pick up brass, and donated or scrounged lead? Most outside of the people who know me, and shoot with me don't believe me, but I still get a kick out of their reaction. "Derp, derp, derp, nope, nope, cant be done." lol BTW, I do 9mm 125 grain hollow points subsonic out of a 10.5 inch AR, and it is an absolute blast to shoot with a can. Full expansion of the hollow points as well. I don't know that I would use it for anything due to the low mass of a subsonic 125 grain boolit outside of shooting a rock chuck or nutria, but it sure is fun anyway.
    I agree completely.

Back to OP isacc's question: Yes. I'm shooting powdercoated boolits in a blackout AR with no problems...and yes I would suggest it as a "try it" project.

+1 300blk
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

Boolit Master
    One of my favorites for 300 blk. Mihec 311410 with a medium hollow point. 130 grains, under 2" groups easily and devastating on anything it hits. I can probably do 1" with this one if I actually sat down and tried, but not consistently.

Those are really nice bullets.

Boolit Master
    Thank you!