WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .32 ACP Loads

.32 ACP Loads

Since we were talking about chasing .32 ACP brass we might as well talk about .32 ACP loads.

What is your favorite .32 ACP load?

I have been using 1.7-8gr of Bullseye with 71gr Speer FMJ.

I am still waiting for the right mould for my boolits. Given this great article up in the sticky section:

From Handloads.com "Experiences with a .32".

I am kind of partial to the Saeco #325. Anyone using this mould?
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Saeco #325 is a great dual-purpose revolver and autopistol bullet IF your .32 ACP will feed it. My Colt M1903 Pocket hammerless does, my Walther PP and my M1935 Beretta. Beretta 3032 Tomcat did not.

A disadvantage of the #325 for .32 ACP is that it is dimensioned for revolvers and drops very large from the mold, about .315" in wheelweights. You want to size it to .310-.311 for the .32 ACP, and even with that, its long shank will cause a bulge about midway up the case body, which will cause chambering problems unless you use the Lee Factory Crimp die. This will size the bullet by compression inside the case and does away with that issue, but it is better to get a mold which drops the correct diameter without sizing, and which has a short shank so that seating depth does not exceed that of factory hardball.

While I used alot of Saeco #325 in the .32 ACP before I got other molds, and I like the way the big meplat works on small game, I prefer the Accurate 31-087T for the .32 ACP these days, and use the Saeco #325 in my .32 revolvers, where it really excels.

With the Magtech 71-grain FMJ bullets I've been using the RCBS Little Dandy rotor #0 which drops 2.2 grains of Bullseye, and when loaded in Winchester brass with WSP primers and seated to 0.97" overall cartridge length, velocity in my Colt matches factory ammo.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub

As an alternative...

I collect .32 ACP pistols from about 100 years ago. I bought a fair pile of factory (Prvi Partizan) ammo, but do some experimenting at times. Currently, I only have a (dwindling) supply of Hornady FMJ, 71 grain bullets.

I tried the 'fast' powder loads of W231 and such. Not much about to write home. I tried some light charges of Power Pistol (high 2.xx to low 3.xx grains) and can duplicate the 900 fps advertised by the factories. And the pressure curve seems fairly mild.

I looked up that Accurate 31-087t bullet and I'm impressed. Good shape for function and impact, good weight.

I'm not sold on .32 ACP as a self-defense round, but in another few years the arthritis in my hands may deny me use of my .45s. One never knows. Besides, more options are always better than fewer or no options.
    Go peacefully; teach the ignorant, comfort the distressed. Always be kind. Wear clean underwear and carry a gun.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I use 2.1 grains of Titewad (not Titegroup) under a 76 grain lead flat point sized to .313 at .945 OAL in my Kel-Tec. Gets 886 fps over my chronograph, good accuracy, and shows no signs of pressure.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had good luck with Hornady's 90 gr. LSWC @ .955" OAL and 1.9-2.0 gr. of W231. Since W231 has been hard to find, I am experimenting with Titewad since FergusonTO35 uses it.

It's good stuff. Remember, this is not a published load and Titewad builds pressure fast so do be careful.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Most of my previous loading of 32 ACP with castings got done with Lyman #313249, an 84 grainer in 92/6/2 that falls free at about .314" in that alloy. I sized to .311" for my Walther PP and charged with 1.8-2.0 x Bullseye or 2.0-2.2 x WW-231. A couple years ago I located a copy of Lyman #311252, a 75 grain RN in 92/6/2. The only difference I made was to bump up powder weights 0.1 grain with the lighter bullet. Both bullets land where the sights look at 15 and 25 yards.

I don't use the 32 ACP for social engineering, my light-tackle choice for that venue is in 9mm Luger. The 32 ACP comes from a time in which live targets were as likely to be headed away as they were to be in your face, and the 32 ACP used as a marking pellet to designate attackers-just-past seems an appropriate niche for these pop-guns. Sadly enough, the shooting of fleeing suspected felons has lost its legal luster over the past 50-60 years, so the 32 ACP's relegation to plinking--small game and varmint--and paper-punching duties seems to be their role assignment currently.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    The 32acp/7.65 Browning is the Miata of the modern gun world--small and impractical but lots of fun.

The 32acp/7.65 Browning is the Miata of the modern gun world--small and impractical but lots of fun.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!! I would own a Miata if I wasn't 6'4/300 lbs.

Boolit Buddy

A 7.65 Browning certainly is easy on lead and powder supplies. A MiHec 74 gr FP bullet and 2.0-2.2 gr of 231 = lots of shooting.

Has anyone tried CFE Pistol? I asked Hodgdon, and they said they had no data.

I used a 00 buckshot pellet ran in a Lee .311 sizer to give it something for the case to grab. Over a light load of hp-38, it was sufficient to punch through a 55 gallon drum around 7 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Freischütz View Post
    A 7.65 Browning certainly is easy on lead and powder supplies. A MiHec 74 gr FP bullet and 2.0-2.2 gr of 231 = lots of shooting.

Has anyone tried CFE Pistol? I asked Hodgdon, and they said they had no data.
    Handloader's VanDenBerg did a short write up of CFE Pistol in the April 2015 issue, but I can't seem to locate my copy. It was the final one of my subscription. While acknowledging that Hodgdon has not released load data for the 32 acp with CFE pistol, I believe he lists 3.0 grains with a 71 grain FMJ as providing excellent results in his Walter PP. However, I have not gotten around to trying it yet.

With the .32 Auto, there are alot of potentially good powders with no data. I believe this is due to the low interest from reloaders, not due to a lack of suitable powders. I never would have discovered Titewad if it wasnt the only fast burning powder available when I went shopping during one of the panics and needed something to extend my supply of Bullseye. Turns out to be the best powder I've ever tried in this cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have been loading the RD 314-75 sized .312 over 2.2 grns. of WW-231 or 2.1 grns of Titewad. 1.7 grns of Bullseye seems light, but if it functions your gun, more power to you. (But 2.0 grns will probably work better ).
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

One thing I have found out (and I have read this in quite a few articles also) is that the older .32 ACPs do not like anemic loads. They like to run.

My FN 1922 was a jam-o-matic with anything less than 2.2gr of Bullseye. My Walther PP seems to eat anything. My Colt 1903 has no trouble with 2.2+gr. Not sure how low I can go with the 1903 and not sure I care. I am beginning to believe these great little beasts want to run at 900+.

I also have a new set of springs coming for my FN 1922, just to see if that makes a difference.

Since I do not have any cast boolits yet, I am using the Berry's plated 71gr.

I am curious as to what the cast boolits are running at for others. Saeco #325, Lyman #313249, Accurate 31-087T?
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

1.7 grains of Bullseye. probably would not function my Kel-Tec or any other locked breech .32 Auto. I always had good luck with 2.3 grains with the 76 grain slug.

Anybody got some Lyman 313249 85 grain boolits they could spare? Either unsized or .313 is fine. I would be happy to trade some of my 76 grain RNFP's.

Boolit Buddy

My CZ-83 begins reliable functioning at 1.8 gr of 231 and the MiHec bullet. But ≥ 2.0 gr is necessary for good obturation.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by tejano View Post
    Handloader's VanDenBerg did a short write up of CFE Pistol in the April 2015 issue, but I can't seem to locate my copy. It was the final one of my subscription. While acknowledging that Hodgdon has not released load data for the 32 acp with CFE pistol, I believe he lists 3.0 grains with a 71 grain FMJ as providing excellent results in his Walter PP. However, I have not gotten around to trying it yet.
    Thanks, I'll look at that.

I was concerned because CFE Pistol seemed to have a substantially faster burning rate in the 7.65 Par than the buring rate charts suggested.

Boolit Buddy

Ranch Dog has quite a bit of data for his bullet at www.ranchdogoutdoors.com. However, I believe it it is computer generated.

I have a savage mod 1907 , any suggestions as to load? I have a custom .32 mould I used in a little Stevens .32 rimfire I had converted to .32 s&w long. Pure lead be ok, or should I try lino type?
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast