Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tried Tumble PC for the first time

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Motor;3356062]Thanks for the tip. I have a heat gun so pre-heating would be easy. I may give it a try.

I wouldn’t use a heat gun as I can see no way to have all the bullets a uniform temperature and repeatability is the key to any process.
    I use a simple inexpensive Taylor Glass Oven Thermometer placed on one of the racks so I can see it through the glass door on my toaster oven. The Taylor brand of thermometers are known for their accuracy and this is what I use to determine my preheating and the 400 degrees for my coating process also.
    For preheating my bullets prior to coating, I set and confirm the oven temp at 200 degrees then put in an aluminum pan filled with bullets in the oven and leave them in for a few minutes so they all will be the same temp. Since I tumble coat 300-400 bullets at once I want them all to take the powder the same. I have the powder and BB’s in my tumbler and when the bullets are up to temp I turn on the tumbler and slowly drop in the heated bullets into the tumbler. I put the lid on my tumbler bucket and let them tumble for about 5 minutes while I do something else like preheating another pan of bullets. I like flat bottoms on my bullets so I place the bullets base down in soldier courses on silicon mat lined trays after the tumble. I usually repeat this process and do three trays of 300-400 each before I cook.

Boolit Master

I have found that cutting the top and bottom off of beer cans, spliting the side, and flattening the sheet of metal works pretty good instead of non-stick aluminum foil. After coming out of the oven, just pass your gloved hand over the bullets to knock them over. Even if you let them cool, they still come off pretty easily. And it is basically free since I'm usually drinking beer while casting, reloading, or powder coating.

I have the Harbor Freight gun and place a piece of folded foil over the bbs and lay the bullets on the foil, static charge with the gun. After charge, I shake a short time and they come out great. I'm sure their are simple ways of applying a static charge with other devices, this works or me. I do remove the foil before shaking and reuse on the next batch.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by johnc486 View Post
    I have the Harbor Freight gun and place a piece of folded foil over the bbs and lay the bullets on the foil, static charge with the gun. After charge, I shake a short time and they come out great. I'm sure their are simple ways of applying a static charge with other devices, this works or me.
    I was semi-successful with the high voltage lead off an old CRT type TV.

I also ended up getting zapped a few times while disassembling the old TV even though it was unplugged and had been sitting around for awhile.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 08-28-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234