Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: h335 for the 1-8 twist 16.5 inch .223rem

Boolit Master
    UNCLEBILL, You are seeing details that half here are missing. You are shooting a single shot contender/encore type rifle. there is a huge difference in chamber operating pressures between a single shot and an AR platform. Do not use the suggestions given for AR load data in your contender. Too hot a load for it. The AR platforms tap some of the chamber pressure to operate the gas system for feeding and ejection. some gas goes out the muzzle, some goes out thru the upper receiver. With the contender it all goes out the muzzle. stick to what works for "YOUR RIFLE".

Boolit Grand Master
    Pressure peaks and falls long before the gas port is reached so the implication above that the AR acts to relieve peak pressures via the gas port is not factual. It in fact does not do so

There is no reason the Contender cannot handle the same pressures the AR can. Since the case head size is small back thrust on the action is relatively modest even at higher pressures.

Boolit Master
    i speak from experience here. I have an encore... a single shot. same thing as a contender. I can shoot the encore ammo in my AR, But cannot shoot the AR ammo in the encore. too much pressure.

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master
    Trigger, the Encore is stronger than the AR. It can take anything the AR can. You are laboring under a mistaken assumption. The Encore action takes much larger belted cartridges run at equivalent pressures to anything that runs through an AR.

It is possible that the Encore has a smaller chamber that make pressure higher in that rifle with similar loads. This may be what is confusing you.
    The suggestion that the Encore is weaker than an AR is false.

You need to look this up as you have the wrong idea. The Encore is TC's high pressure capable action. It is not weak.

Glad I could help.
    Last edited by 35remington; 08-15-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    35 REM...?????????????????????????? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I never said the encore was weak. never said the AR was stronger than the encore. Im not confused about anything. "I OWN BOTH". And I have compared them both side by side... and with the chronograph. All my reloads are based off factory ammo velocity. My Encore reloads are below the minimum charge in most reloading books but achieve the factory velocity i want. And I was comparing my AR ammo to my Encore ammo. said nothing about factory ammo use. If I fired my AR ammo in my encore, I would be blowing primer pockets apart left and right.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is because the chamber in the AR is larger and gives lower pressure for the same loads.

Given your statement about the pressure "bleed off" of the gas port (which does not do anything to moderate pressures) I got the impression you were proselytizing for the AR being stronger. Apologies if that was not correct. The correct thing is that the rather sloppy 556 chamber allows heavier loads than a standard 223 chamber may allow.

I think we agree on that one!

The mentioned 26/H335 load with a 55 is in fact fine for standard .223 chambers. In fact, Lyman's 49th goes to a full 27 grains with that bullet weight.

Boolit Master
    QUOTE: That is because the chamber in the AR is larger and gives lower pressure for the same loads.
    Absolutely correct.

QUOTE: The correct thing is that the rather sloppy 556 chamber allows heavier loads than a standard 223 chamber may allow.
    Absolutely correct.

one must be careful not to use data developed for 5.56 rifle chambers in standard 223 chambers,,, especially Encore and contender chambers. 25.1 gr. of H-335 is an over max load for my Encore, and would blow primer pockets apart. This was my first and only loading catastrophe developing loads for my Encore when I first started reloading for it back when they first came out.

Boolit Master
    i am not a great shot
    but i am careful with load development and try to do every shot EXACTLY like the last one.
    same hold same everything

Boolit Master
    unclebill you are being too modest. that .896 group is something to be very proud of. 250 yards? that is 1/2 m.o.a.

Boolit Master
    After rereading this thread I need to point out that I am using a
    Non easy open 1975 first generation contender pistol with a
    Custom match grade machine 16.5 full bull barrel
    With a 1-8 twist

Boolit Master
    I am around 2600-2650 fps

Boolit Master
    I knew it..... custom chamber, tight tolerances. bookoo accurate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    I knew it..... custom chamber, tight tolerances. bookoo accurate.
    this barrel is fantastic.
    some of the best money i ever spent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12