MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C Sharps sight help

Boolit Bub

C Sharps sight help

I recently purchased a c sharps 1875 rifle 45 70 with their midrange sight. I am unfamiliar with using this type of sight and was wondering if someone could help me understand how to read the markings on the side. The sight ladder is marked from 0 to 2 inches and the slider has 6 marks on it. Once I have it sighted in at a known distance; how would I know how far to move the sight for longer range?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Search here for reading a vernier scale. If that doesn't turn up anything do a Google search , the pictures should show you fairly well how to read it. You could also call CSA and ask for the instruction sheet that came with the sight.
    The marks on the staff are 5 minutes and the marks on the slide are 1 minute. The windage marks are 2 minute.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Man
    I had traded into two rifle each of which had CSA sights. The sights in question are not the Soule type. I do not want to share my confusion. On one rifle I swapped out the CSA for a Shaver sight. I did have CSA send me a copy of the instructions. These instruction did not seem to be for exactly the same sight. It was possible to figure out what the marks were for. My suggestion is to get the instruction from CSA and work from there. The sights are well made. In my experience, however, it is necessary to use Locktite on the small screws on this sight. You may benefit from getting another type of sight for long range shooting.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by keydet15 View Post
    The sight ladder is marked from 0 to 2 inches and the slider has 6 marks on it. Once I have it sighted in at a known distance; how would I know how far to move the sight for longer range?
    Actually, you are asking for two entirely different types of information.

First, there is the need to use the markings to interpret the sight setting.
    See if this graphic sufficiently explains that for you.

Secondly, you want to be able to estimate settings for different ranges.

If you will (through trial and error) find the settings that work for you at 100 and 200 yards, there is a little Excel routine that will help with estimations for other distances.

When you have a 100 yard setting, raise your sight by 12 points, and that will be close to the 200 yard elevation ... close enough to dial it in from there.

Send me a PM with a valid email address and I will send you that Excel 'calculator'.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 07-31-2015 at 09:17 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Man
    There are two distinctly different sights that were offered by CSA. One sight is a Soule sight with vernier scale. The other sights did not have the Soule features. It would be helpful to know exactly which CSA sight is in question. The simpler sight did not have the vernier scale.

Both CSA's soule and vernier sight have vernier markings on the staff. The difference is the windage adjustment on the vernier sight is by moving the eye piece , the graduataion marks are on top of the eyepiece slide.

Quote Originally Posted by keydet15 View Post
    I recently purchased a c sharps 1875 rifle 45 70 with their midrange sight. I am unfamiliar with using this type of sight and was wondering if someone could help me understand how to read the markings on the side. The sight ladder is marked from 0 to 2 inches and the slider has 6 marks on it. Once I have it sighted in at a known distance; how would I know how far to move the sight for longer range?

Thanks
    A couple of "vernier sights" purchased from C.Sharps awhile back did not have vernier slide markings. After talking to them on the phone and getting nowhere, I realized they didn't understand. However, their advertising dropped the mention of "vernier".

If the 6 marks on the slide match 5 marks on the staff (as do the markings in the post above showing how to read vernier sights) you have gotten true vernier sights from CSA. It the 6 marks on the slide align perfectly with 6 consecutive marks on the staff, the sight is basically worthless.

I wound up buffing the marks off the slide and correctly spacing new marks. It wasn't something I'd do again, but I was pissed at CSA as well as disappointed. And not willing to throw away close to the price of true vernier sights.

How to predict longer range sight settings after finding shorter range settings by shooting isn't real simple.

You need to find or work out a drop table for the bullet you're using at the velocity you're shooting it. There are applications online that can do that for you. Then use the drops shown in the table and go from there. If you've got a vernier point setting for 100' and want to get a point value for 200', you'd look on the drop table for the difference between 100 and 200 and simply add it to the point setting for your 100 zero. It won't be perfect, but close.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Both CSA's soule and vernier sight have vernier markings on the staff. The difference is the windage adjustment on the vernier sight is by moving the eye piece , the graduataion marks are on top of the eyepiece slide.
    CSA's website doesn't appear to use the term "vernier" anywhere in their advertising copy. They have sold tang sights before that were not vernier. From my experience, and at $250 and $290 for the two sizes, personally I would call and verify before buying. Actually, it would make more sense to look at Montana Vintage Arms website before buying any sight. Their advertising includes pictures that show the markings clearly, whereas CSA advertising now shows X where pictures used to be of the non-Soule sights. The MVA sights are only slightly more (~$25) than CSA's, and have an added feature. All the bases for the different rifles match up to their different staffs. You can move staffs around on all your rifles for example. Or only need a base ($99) for your next rifle as you can use a staff you already have. etc

Boolit Man
    Thanks Litl Red. We are talking apples and oranges. My experience is similar to yours save the buffing. It's no big deal since we are not shooting at longer distances currently locally. It looks like CSA has dropped the long range version of this sight we have. These sights have a screw adjustment for the windage-also sold as an update for the older sights. Wonder why CSA did not put a scale on that sight like Don described so well. When using this CSA sight align the marks as if you were using a Soule sight and see what happens.

CSA now calls the Vernier sights simply tang sights.
    Moving sights around from one rifle to the other sounds like a good idea, right up until the time you do it once or twice.
    I have come to the conclusion that each rifle having it's own sights is a much better thing. Spendy yes, but prevents some problems.
    I have one of those old tang sights with no sight graduations on it, but to the original post here describes elevation marks quite well...

Having moved MVA staffs around on MVA bases way more than once or twice, the only thing that's even the least bit of trouble is finding my notes on the sight settings for the individual rifles. Of course, MVA's quality machining might have something to do with that.

And humorously, at present the count of MVA staffs exceeds my count of rifles. Since selling one without sights that is. The beauty of the situation is that now I have an excuse to find a suitable rifle for the "homeless" sight.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you gentleman for your help. The photo by montana charlie is greatly appreciated.

BTW, for those who don't think MVA's advertising about moving their staffs around on their bases would be easy and give repeatable settings, I've been doing it for awhile now. My HiWall has an MVA base, as does my C.Sharps '75. The HiWall presently has an MVA mid-range staff on it. The staff was purchased on the MVA base that's on the '75. The '75 has an MVA gallery staff on it, but that base was originally purchased with the extra staff that's in the safe with base that was on the rifle recently sold.

I already carried a little notebook with the sight settings for the different rifles. When the capability showed up for easily swapping staffs, all that was needed was to note beside the setting which staff. For years, I've removed the staffs to their own deerskin pouch when transporting, so no effort there. The capability is useful for some. It's a positive to have the capability. And it can save you money. The beauty of MVA is their quality is right up there.

MVA sights are nice, I have two of them(plus two of their scopes), also have a couple of Baldwins, a Hoke, a couple of Browning and Parts Unknown and Red River, and Ron Heilman sights... I prefer each rifle to have it's own sight, that way you don't ever have to worry about going somewhere and finding out , oh shucky darn I left the sight staff laying on top of the gun cabinet..
    You still need to carry a book that contains data for each rifle.

Banned

i'm with don - each rifle has its own sights to go along with its own quirks. i use lee shavers, there are many other good ones.

How to Read a Vernier Sight

Boolit Master
    You can learn how to read a vernier sight but it may lie to you.
    The distance between the front and rear sights affects the size of the angle produced by changing elevation.

A 28" barrel will have a shorter sight radius and will change the elevation more with the same rear sight movement than will a 34" barrel.
    EDG

Light, wind and mirage can make liars out of the marks on the staff as well.

And the marksman doesn't always know the right number of minutes his shot is off.

Good thing is that we HAVE TO spend time on the range working out how many points on our rifle's sights we need for what we think we see through our spotting scopes.

Honey, I have to go shooting today!
    Again? You just went the other day didn't you?
    Yeah, but I just found out my MOA might be different on my Vernier.
    Uhh??? OK, then can you stop at the store on the way home?

Quote Originally Posted by Litl Red 3991 View Post
    And the marksman doesn't always know the right number of minutes his shot is off.

Good thing is that we HAVE TO spend time on the range working out how many points on our rifle's sights we need for what we think we see through our spotting scopes.

Honey, I have to go shooting today!
    Again? You just went the other day didn't you?
    Yeah, but I just found out my MOA might be different on my Vernier.
    Uhh??? OK, then can you stop at the store on the way home?
    Shoot a bptr match sometime if you get the chance, when that target comes back up and you see exactly where the bullet went, it's a great learning experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast