Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Python Value $

Boolit Master

Python Value $

I have a 4 inch Python made in 1975 it has a slight ring mark on cylinder bluing is all most perfect. No box or wood grips they are rubber. I need some work to my house my good friend is willing to do the labor for the gun. I was thinking the Python is worth around 2100.00 dollars toward labor cost.

Boolit Master
    FWIW, Brother-In-Law sold a 4" 70-something Python for $1200.00 a year or two ago. With the box.
    I guess it just depends on how much work he's willing to do for a 4" Python.

Boolit Master

Around here all the ones I see are going for $2500 to $3000. I don't see them sell very often for that much. The same ones are always for sale. The ones that do sell go for $1500 to $2000. If I had one I would sell it and buy something else.

Boolit Master
    I also see the same ones over and over again at the gun shows. Base models up to polished nickel with engravings. For what they want for them they can keep them. They must be made of gold or platinum.
    Cheapest I ever see them is starting around 12-1300.00
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Bub
    You are not out of line at that price. I sold a blue 6" made in 1982 with rubber grips and no box or papers for $1900 a couple months ago. The Colt guys really like to have the original grips/box and papers.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I just sold mine. I'm in southern MI. My Python was a 4" blued - excellent mechanical/finish. Same year as the OP's if I remember correctly. Original wood grips. No box - no paperwork. I consigned it with a LGS that I've used for years. They went over it - checked it out and we agreed on a listing price of $2,000.00. They have their own website that they list on - not GB. I expected it to sit there for a while. It was sold in 3 days.

Some may ask "why sell"? I purchased it for an investment. I shot it several times and the Python is not my "cup of tea". I much prefer my old Smiths - M & P revolver, Combat Masterpiece, etc. I'm also getting older and my health is not the best - if something happened to me, my wife would have no idea of what it was worth or really, how to dispose of it. I felt it was time for it to go.

I made a very hefty profit on it. I was happy . . the LGS was happy with their commission and that it moved fast . . and I'm hoping the new owner is happy. Yes . . I checked on GB, etc. to see what they were listing at . . but it seems like the ones on the auction sites sit there a long time. Not having the original grips on it may affect the price some - a person could always pick up a set but the original grips demand a pretty hefty price alone. The geographical location may affect the market price as well.

Boolit Master
    6" stainless for $2800 no box, 6" blued with some definite usage $2400 no box. Have a 6" blued barely shot with box and papers. Cost me $1200 about 6 years ago, not for sale and probably permanently in my safe until children decide to sell it. Tell me California is not a great place to live

your fine .I sold a 4" for 2150.00 had box paper work and org tags in the org paper . 4 months ago .
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Go to Facebook. Look at Colt Collectors Club page. You'll get an idea what they are asking and getting for them Then look at Colt Pistols page while you're there.

Boolit Buddy
    lgs sold one box and excelent condition newer model for 4300.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. metalworker, woodworker, mechanic, restorer and 200.00 stamp collector

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, I'd heard the prices on Pythons had gone crazy but had no idea. Wish I had a few to sell.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    Insanity. Uncut, unadulterated insanity. Just like $100 bricks of 30-year-old Monkey Wards 22 LR ammo, which was no prize when it was new.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    ...I shot it several times and the Python is not my "cup of tea". I much prefer my old Smiths - M & P revolver, Combat Masterpiece, etc.
    Yep.
    No disrespect intended to anyone and I realize it's a matter of taste, but I never did get the "python thing" at all. I'm not crazy about the feel of the action and I don't think they're pretty. The finish is nice but the lines are blocky and chunky with nothing of the grace and beauty that I see in so many of Browning's designs, or so many K and N frame Smiths. Like you, for a DA revolver I prefer a well-done Smith. The best of the old S&Ws are absolute works of art, and a flaming bargain compared to Colt prices.

To be clear, none of the above applies to commercial Colt 1911s (especially pre-series 70 models) or SAAs of any era, which I consider timeless classics and often beautiful works of art as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Insanity. Uncut, unadulterated insanity. Just like $100 bricks of 30-year-old Monkey Wards 22 LR ammo, which was no prize when it was new.
    Yes, sir.
    I see people dragging out some of the dangdest crusty old .22 rimfire ammo and offering it at shows like it was gold. Sears & Roebuck, Monkey Wards, the cheapest economy loads from Remington or Winchester, with tattered cartons and oxidized lead bullets. They regularly ask over $50 a brick for such dreck and they don't seem the least embarrassed.
    Yech!
    Best of all are those who wrap up a brick of Wildcats or Thunderbolts in plastic like they were valuable collector's items.
    Cheez!

I suppose it's a sign that I've become an old curmudgeon but I find myself shaking my head in disgust at much of the stuff I see at shows these days. It just makes me glad I bought a lot of quality guns when I did.

Uncle R.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I've owned Pythons, but they were also the first to be offered for sale when I wanted something different. I never took to the "Diamond Back" series either. My favorite Colts are PP, PPS, OP, Trooper, Lawman, and the Officers Model target guns.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Never have understood the allure of Pythons or any gun that looks like it for that matter. Vent ribs are for shotguns and an all steel .357 revolver of that size does not need a full length underlug. The gigantic grips need to go on a diet, too. If you shoot it enough it will go out of time and you could buy a new S&W or Ruger for what Colt charges to fix them nowadays. The Python does seem to be accurate and have a nice trigger pull, as it should given the price and amount of hand fitting required. For the record there are Colts that I like, especially the Detective Special and Police Positive Special.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Never have understood the allure of Pythons or any gun that looks like it for that matter. Vent ribs are for shotguns and an all steel .357 revolver of that size does not need a full length underlug. The gigantic grips need to go on a diet, too. If you shoot it enough it will go out of time and you could buy a new S&W or Ruger for what Colt charges to fix them nowadays. The Python does seem to be accurate and have a nice trigger pull, as it should given the price and amount of hand fitting required. For the record there are Colts that I like, especially the Detective Special and Police Positive Special.
    +1. Id rather just have my gp100 which I can actually shoot without worrying about collectibility. The pythons really aren't that great its just expensive because its colt.

My best friend has a GP-100 stainless with adjustable sights and the uncommon 6" half lug barrel. I never shoot .357 in handguns but if I did that is the exact launching platform I would choose!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post

I guess that why they offer chocolate and vanilla. A brand new 6" Royal Blue Python was the first revolver I bought in 1976 and I wont part with it. I stopped counting the number of full blown 158 grain JSP at the 6000 round mark. Don't know how many 14.5 grains of 2400 and 158 SWC's it's digested but there has been a lot, since I started casting in the early 80's. It hasn't gone out of time yet. I happen to like the grip size and they fit me well. I did change over to the rubber Pac's only because it was more conducive to the cold Michigan hunting seasons. BTW, Larry Kelly the owner of Magnaport, accused me of putting a spring kit in it because the trigger was so smooth......I took it there because I was getting unexplained misfires. Told him he was full of s**t and went to see Frank Paris. Frank was a Master Pistolsmith and did a lot of Python work. He replaced the V- shaped main spring and I was back in business.

Winelover

Not trying to squash anybody that likes Pythons, just saying they don't do it for me. I've been pooh-poohed more than a few times for my love of full size .38 Special revolvers.

Boolit Grand Master
    My earlier-expressed disgust at Python pricing has nothing to do with "Ford/Chevy" brand loyalty......there are LOTS of Rampant Colt examples in my safe. Much more has to do with the rampant avarice and blatant greed of the collectoritis-infected shills that infest this hobby field. They make me sick, and are driving me away from participation in a number of ways.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast