RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 'Quality' Brass.

In Remembrance

Remington 'Quality' Brass.

If this is posted in the wrong place, Mods feel free to move it.

Recently in a local retailer I was fortunate to find a bag of 50 Remington .44-40 brass for sale................at only TWICE the normal retail cost, but heck, that brass is where you find it and you pay what the seller asks. I was impressed with the wording on the plastic bag touting the fact that Remington components were the very finest one could possibly buy.

You can imagine my dismay when, on loading one of the cases for the first time, I could not get the CCI 300 LP to stay in..........the pocket was overlarge! So much for Remington 'Quality' in this particular 'case'. I'll stick to Starline in the future, having found a source at last.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Grand Master

We have a Remington plant near me and I have friends that work there. I'm sad to say that I'm not a fan of Remington brass. I would really like to support this local business, but the quality just is not there.

Boolit Buddy

Yup, nothing new to me, I made the mistake of chambering in 338 RUM instead of 338 Lapua. The Remington brass that I have wouldnt hold a primer worth beans. At the price they get for the brass, I at least expected to get normal loading life out of it, Noooo, half gave up the primer pocket on the first loading. Not a hot load either. I pitched a biotch at the Shot Show to the Remington booth occupants and they blew me off like I didnt exist. I have since gone to Nosler brass when I can find
    it and pay the blood price for its extra longevity.

I never like RP 45 acp brass when I was loading on the Star, for Bullseye, never seemed to hold a crimp, lots of push back. Even now, I set it aside and load it with the Dillon die to get the wasp waist ugly ammo for the subgun.

Boolit Buddy
    Lightman I'm just across the river from you, well keo anyway

Boolit Master
    I have never been a fan of Rem brass.
    Win brass use to be good, but I am not too sure about it now.
    I have the opposite problem with Nosler brass.
    My Federal 210 primers fit very tight. I was told that Fed primers are the largest of all.
    None the less I only use Fed primers for my target loads.
    One way or another they must fit.
    Other than that, the Nosler brass is very impressive brass.
    Last edited by Clay M; 07-31-2015 at 09:04 PM.

HABCAN I would sure think that Remington would make it right with you if you send some of the unfired brass back to Lonoke. During the heading operation this should be checked every few minutes and just prior to dumping the catch pan into the larger container. These should not have made it to the next operation let alone out the door.

Boolit Master
    The only Remington brass I buy is 35 Remington when I can find it. I have had a lot of problems with premature case splits in 38 Spl and 357 Mag Remington brass over the years. I have had some problems with the last batch of Winchester 30-06 I purchased. The extractor grooves seem too small and I can't get them into my shell holders (RCBS). I setting aside all of my S&B 45 ACP brass so I can swage the primer pockets as they are usually too tight for CCI and Winchester Primers. I throw away Fiocchi 45 ACP as I have broken too many decapping pins on off-center primer holes.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, for handguns Starline is all I buy anymore.
    I have had good luck with their handgun and rifle brass.
    Last edited by Clay M; 08-01-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

I have found that Rem brass is the lowest of the following US Brass MFG ..and Listed in MY order of preference

LC
    Federal
    Hornady
    CCI
    Win
    Rem

Again MY personal preference....YMMV
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 08-01-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Everyones QC seems to have slipped during the 2008 and 2012 shortages. Winchester was about my favorite affordable brass and Norma and Lapua were my favorites in my match rifles. I'm seeing complaints on all of them. Remington and Winchester once fired seems to be better quality than their new brass. I've never cared for Fiocchi, S&B or some of the lesser known brands. These usually go in the recycle bucket.

In Remembrance

MarkP.........between Cdn. Customs/Border Security and your Home Security, shipping such a thing as THE one dangerous unused unfired new brass cartridge case across out mutual border would be...........'attractive of undue attention', LOL. I'll just live with the lesson. Strange that, up to now, all my RIFLE brass of choice was Remington and very satisfactory!! The very BEST (up here) long ago was C.I.L. .........BEFORE it 'became' IVI. Prvi comes close to it, now.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Even before the shortage Remington brass was last on my list. I ordered 500 Remington .30 carbine brass about 10 years ago from Midway. What I got was 500 totally unusable brass "things" no rim, no groove, the bottom was just...round. I called them, they sent me 500 good ones and a call tag for the junk. Remington brass always needs much more case prep than anything else, I just won't buy it anymore. Far as I'm concerned, they can go bankrupt like Colt.

Boolit Master

+1 on poor quality of Remington brass. Last year I bought some Rem. .32-20s for my Low Wall to get by while I was waiting for Starline to become available...won't do it again. Loose primer pockets, case length consistently .020-.030 under 'trim to' length, and by the second reloading beginning to split necks.

Funny thing, though, 20-some years ago, I bought 500 Remington .308 'Match' cases for an M700 I'd just had rebarreled. Don't actually know how times those have been reloaded but I've still got over 95% of them...either loaded or cleaned/sized/primed...sitting on the shelf. Times have changed, I guess.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Everyones QC seems to have slipped during the 2008 and 2012 shortages.
    I haven't been able to find any recent (2012-2015) Rem brass to buy in what I was looking for. I have bought 6mm Rem brass a few years back, and it reloaded nicely. No idea of current stuff.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

In Remembrance
    Check out the Starline Brass web site. They are showing the 44-40 brass in stock. Best wishes

Boolit Grand Master

RP was my standard brass until I bought a box of Hornady brass. RP brass takes a fair bit of prep and case weight varies more than I like but I've had good luck with it once I got it prepped. OTOH I haven't bought much lately.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I can 't size Rem. 45acp brass small enough to hold a .452 boolit & not set back when feeding.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyscout View Post
    The only Remington brass I buy is 35 Remington when I can find it. I have had a lot of problems with premature case splits in 38 Spl and 357 Mag Remington brass over the years. I have had some problems with the last batch of Winchester 30-06 I purchased. The extractor grooves seem too small and I can't get them into my shell holders (RCBS). I setting aside all of my S&B 45 ACP brass so I can swage the primer pockets as they are usually too tight for CCI and Winchester Primers. I throw away Fiocchi 45 ACP as I have broken too many decapping pins on off-center primer holes.
    I had 10 splits in one of the first and only boxes of Remington 38 Special I ever bought. Actually, a friend bought them for me as I was under the age limit to buy ammo for my Trooper in 1970. I was just getting into reloading at the time and luckily there were a lot of .38 Special laying on the ground at the gun ranges.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    A friend of mine brought me 120 30-06' factory of 1 lot he bought and shot . The cases weighed from 187-208 gr . There were two sub lots totaling 56 pieces at 192-194 and 195-197 the rest were scattered in 3-5 pieces. I have a rifle that is fussy enough to know a 2 gr case difference, his isn't but it explained why his 1.5 inch groups had a 3" flier and why he had no groups at 200yd.
    Even factory ammo in Colts with Rem cases was horrible from before the binge in a Ruger Blackhawk, it won't even feed in a 92' Rosschester .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I usually toss REM in favor of PMC. I would just shelve the gun and wait for Starline to come up. My rem 32-20's would bend at the neck with a little thumbnail pressure, and usually split after a couple boolit loadings. Their .45 Colt brass usually strips at the rim. I have had some .45Colt PMC brass for 15 some years, still going strong, probably at least 10-20 loadings each.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast