RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: info re: coin size?

info re: coin size?

Does anyone have access to info, ( I think Dave Corbin had it ) from one of his books or other data. Regarding the needed size of "coin" and thickness of material, for jackets to be drawn from. I am working on a jacket making die and would like to be able to verify my thought process . PM with any leads if you have. Thanks in advance.

Boolit Buddy

I ordered Dave Corbin's "Rediscover Swaging" but it will probably be a good week before it arrives. Once it gets here I would be happy to look if it is in there. Does either Corbin have something on their websites?

Boolit Buddy
    i did a quick glance through rediscover swaging, bulletins 1-3, ted smiths book, power swaging and some random printouts with no luck. I may have missed it going through as most of these were written in the 70s and not exactly indexed the greatest.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by blaser.306 View Post
    Does anyone have access to info, ( I think Dave Corbin had it ) from one of his books or other data. Regarding the needed size of "coin" and thickness of material, for jackets to be drawn from. I am working on a jacket making die and would like to be able to verify my thought process . PM with any leads if you have. Thanks in advance.
    I think it was one of his computer programs, I may have it I will look tonight when I get home. What is the specifics on the finished jacket you want to produce? Also interested in how to make a die to produce jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by 475AR View Post
    I think it was one of his computer programs, I may have it I will look tonight when I get home. What is the specifics on the finished jacket you want to produce? Also interested in how to make a die to produce jackets.
    A general over view is what I am thinking will be gained from the info. Due to the fact that jackets are "roughed out" then drawn to a specified size after. Any info will be appreciated.

I don't think this page has been around too long? http://www.corbins.com/strip.htm
    Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projecitles

Quote Originally Posted by aaronraad View Post
    I don't think this page has been around too long? http://www.corbins.com/strip.htm
    That is the one I needed! Thanks for that, I must have missed it or like you said might not have been up for long.

Quote Originally Posted by blaser.306 View Post
    That is the one I needed! Thanks for that, I must have missed it or like you said might not have been up for long.
    The concept is relatively simply, it's the variances in the properties of the raw material and precision of the final drawn product you require that will complicate everything along with tooling wear, temperature, pressure and lubrication etc.

In principal it's a volume thing unless you're changing the material density or splitting atoms etc.

From what I understand of deep drawing, the base thickness of the jacket will be the same as that of strip thickness you punch your blank from. The total volume of the blank you start with will therefore equal the volume of your finished jacket, plus the trim length from earing etc. If you are changing the base thickness, you are no longer deep drawing you are extruding like Nosler do with their Solid Base projectile jackets.
    Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projecitles