Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lever Action 357?

georgerkahn,

That's not true at all about the .357 Magnum Marlins. Between my wife and I we have 7 of them, all marked ".357 Magnum". About all they shoot are .38 Special loads, thousands and thousands of them in SASS matches. It's been a year or two since any of them have had a .357 Magnum run through any of them, and we'll be shooting .38 Specials through them again tomorrow morning at our monthly local match.

The key is loading your .38 Special ammunition to at least 1.480" OAL, and using RNFP bullets. You also have to use a firm crimp to keep the bullets from collapsing into the case, which will jam up the gun. They also won't feed wadcutters, period, except single feeding, and who wants a single shot leveraction rifle?

If your gunsmith charged you a lot of money to clear your Marlin, he overcharged you, since all he had to do to clear a feeding jam was remove the magazine cap, barrel ring screw, spring and follower, plus remove the lever screw, lever and bolt. Once that's done, the round will drop out and you just have to put it back together. It takes less than 5 minutes for the whole operation.......

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    tnaz -- be advised: Marlin made a lever in .357 Mag ONLY, as well as another model which chambers the S&W .38 Special caliber! I have one of each, and putting a S&W .38SP in the ".357 Mag - only" firearm cost me quite a few bucks at gunsmith's to get firearm -- with live round stuck in it -- cleared.
    My .357 Mag (only) was a 1979 manufactured (s/n 21049,xxx) Model 1894. The firearm which shoots the S&W .38SP as well was a 1982 manufacture (s/n 03028xxx), "Cowboy Limited Model 1894CB".
    'Thought you might wish to be cognizant of this. BOTH great firearms! The caliber(s) which will function are embossed on barrel. If only ".357 Magnum" appears -- that's all she'll shoot!
    geo
    Just when you think you've seen everything there is to see on the Interwebs....I believe you meant to write that a .357 Magnum round won't fit into a gun marked ".38 Special".

I believe you meant to write that a .357 Magnum round won't fit into a gun marked ".38 Special".

Now that I can agree with, but it still shouldn't take a gunsmith to clear it.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for that bit of info. I did not know that. All LGS that I have spoken with have said to find old model and no problems. I would prefer to have one that will chamber both.

I do want to cast some boolits, and want to use SWC 140 or 158 grns???

Thanks again,

Terry
    Last edited by tnaz; 08-02-2015 at 07:51 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

So I shouldn't be able to shoot 38 Special out of my 1894C? Learn something new everyday. Guess I've been doing it wrong for years. I don't bother loading 38 Special cases anymore. But my rifle feeds and fires them just fine.

New production of the 1894Cs keeps getting pushed back. It was suppose to start last quarter of 2014. It's been pushed back multiple times since. They are worth the wait. I have one of the few Remington 1894Cs made before they fully stopped production. Not a thing wrong w/ it and it's a shooter. When I was looking to purchase a 357 lever action the Rossi didn't have the correct twist to shoot heavyweight bullets.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    So I shouldn't be able to shoot 38 Special out of my 1894C? Learn something new everyday. Guess I've been doing it wrong for years. I don't bother loading 38 Special cases anymore. But my rifle feeds and fires them just fine.

New production of the 1894Cs keeps getting pushed back. It was suppose to start last quarter of 2014. It's been pushed back multiple times since. They are worth the wait. I have one of the few Remington 1894Cs made before they fully stopped production. Not a thing wrong w/ it and it's a shooter. When I was looking to purchase a 357 lever action the Rossi didn't have the correct twist to shoot heavyweight bullets.
    Do you know when they ended production of the "GOOD ONES"? or ones with the least amount of problems? Marlin 1894c/cb

Boolit Grand Master

I have one of the very few Remington made 1894Cs. Each Cabelas store got a small shipment in right before they stopped production. This was years ago. The ones before that shipment had issues. But the numbers produced were very small. Pay the premium for a JM stamped Marlin if you don't want to roll the dice w/ quality. But be aware not all JM Marlins are gems.

Boolit Man
    Yep, I hear ya. The bad or good thing about the JM Marlins is the price, and whether your buying or selling.

On the idea of the octagonal barrel? Be warned that due to the small hole that an octagonal barrel in .357 is going to be rather heavy. Expect the gun to feel decidedly muzzle heavy when shouldered. On the other hand the round barrel 92's feel wonderfully balanced both for carrying and shouldering. So I'm more in favor of performance and handling over looks.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Master
    I would get a marlin,I have a older 94 357,and it will feed everything except wadcutters, and those will stop the fun in a heartbeat!

Boolit Grand Master
    I know that Navy Arms sold the Octagonal barreled 357's as I have seen one that a fellow around here has in his safe. It is kind of heavy, but it sure looks good.

Boolit Master

I recently bought a stainless 20" octagon barreled Rossi. It's a bit rough, but I'll get around to that between shooting it and polishing it. I may refinish the wood someday too.

It feeds my .38 swc loads just fine, but I do have to step the crimp up. It was never important in revolvers.

I plan on keeping that one for a very long time.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    I recently bought a stainless 20" octagon barreled Rossi. It's a bit rough, but I'll get around to that between shooting it and polishing it. I may refinish the wood someday too.

It feeds my .38 swc loads just fine, but I do have to step the crimp up. It was never important in revolvers.

I plan on keeping that one for a very long time.
    Glad you got one. I thought rossi stopped making the 20" octagon SS. Did yo find it local or order?

I have an older Puma Rossi with the 24" ss octagon barrel.
    When I got it, it didn't feed reliably, after a little research.
    I ended up cutting the magazine spring down, and haven't had any issues since.
    Took a young buck with it the first year I got it.
    Here ya go.

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Man
    That's what I want. How do you like it so far? Have you shot any of the other r92s to compare to your 24" barrel?

Thanks for sharing the cool pic and any more info,

tnaz

Had it for a few years now, and wouldn't trade it for anything.
    Few accurate, more so than I am thats fer sure.
    Mostly shoot 158 gr. and 180 gr lead.

Not shot any other m92's,
    but I think the 16" model would be handy
    and make fer a good truck gun.

Banned

Last I looked, the .357 Remlins were back on the menu.

Boolit Man
    Sweet Pic's, that rifle takes good ones! Hey, thanks for the info. I really like the 20" and 24". I can see where the shorter version would be easier for a truck ride a long.

tnaz

Boolit Man
    Not around here. Been checking Buds and they had not been able to get me one either??? I found one 20" ss rossi round barrel last week in my neck of the woods. Guy wanted $600.00.

Thanks for the info,

tnaz

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Last I looked, the .357 Remlins were back on the menu.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12