Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: My one recipe

Boolit Buddy

My one recipe

My wife does all the cooking at home, except the one thing I can cook to perfection. When the kids come to visit, they ask for my "diced steak", the only thing I cook perfectly.

I cut any venison (deer, antelope, elk) into 1 inch cubes. In another bowl I have flour with salt, pepper, paprika, ground onion, and ground garlic. Mix the venison diced steak into the flour mixture. I use a cast iron skillet with safflower oil at pretty hot heat. Place the seasoned diced steaks into the hot oil for about 4 minutes, turn all the pieces for another 4 minutes, then let them sit on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.

I usually make a pile of it Sunday evening to snack on it during the week. It's a good way to use shoulder meat, and makes you look like a chef, it tastes awesome and easy to make.

Do you just eat these by themselves, or served with a meal somehow? Either way, it sounds amazing!

Sounds alot like how my wife cooks deer finger steaks. If it is, they are GOOOOD.
    We like to dip them in a little mayonase and Cholula sauce. MMMM

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Sounds delicious
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Buddy

It's a snack item, a big bowl in the frig for when you want a quick fix for hunger. I do mean a big bowl, it goes quick when you have teenagers around.

Moderator Emeritus

If you have never tried it drop a sirloin steak in the deep fryer. All the fat gets crispy and the steak cooks perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    If you have never tried it drop a sirloin steak in the deep fryer. All the fat gets crispy and the steak cooks perfectly
    Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but are you referring to a steak from a deer still, or from a cow?

Boolit Master

I believe any meat will do.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

I was curious, because I had always heard to trim the fat off of venison because that's where a lot of the more gamey flavor came from. It sounds really tempting to do with a regular steak, but I wasn't sure about leaving the fat on venison

Boolit Master

I bet you could use hamburger

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

The main reason for trimming fat off deer meat is, it gets rancid in the freezer pretty fast. Fresh deer fat tastes OK if very hot, but it sticks to the roof of your mouth and teeth as it cools. Untrimmed deer meat has a very short freezer life. Well-trimmed deer meat, double wrapped to eliminate air, can last for several years in the freezer.

Banned

I had deep fried venison once and have to say it was good. Never tried it myself though. I guess I have to many other unhealthy recipes.