Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Rossi 92 - 45 Colt

Rossi 92 - 45 Colt

What speed are you guys shooting your 45 Colt carbine's ? I put mine on a chroney yesterday. At about 12 feet I was at 1485. Seems light but I know some of you have had more time with a 45 carbine.
    My 45 Colt pistol loads are 1010 with jacketed Hornady HP's. I'm using 255 gr. RF cast in the carbine. By the way. PC and lubed boolits are at the same speed ?

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    I have pushed a 310 gr. RCBS with H-110 to 1550 foot seconds from a 20" barrel. With Li'l Gun and an XTP of 250 gr. I've reached 1752'/s at a grain below Max. At 1800'/s that little carbine starts getting quite intimate with the shoulder, especially from a bench. Today I load mostly the H-110 and 310 RCBS for hunting pigs and deer, and Red Dot and a 220 gr WFN LBT for getting kids interested in the M-92. It works. You can get a lot more. Check the load books. I keep my loads at or below 32K PSI even though the M-92s can take a bit more.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning Tenbender
    What purpose are these loads ? You already have enough going to ruin the day of most any corn cruncher out there.
    Then there are the questions of what powder are loading with ? Big difference in loading Unique, 2400 or 1680.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

My 2 cents may not be helpful because I only punch paper.. I use low power with my 92 and punching 100 holes is a lot of fun when you do not go home with a bruised shoulder.
    That steel butt-plate is pretty unforgiving. Using 7.2gr Unique under 200gr frn right now but looking for a powder that I can use which fills the (large) case enough to see it.
    Accuracy is adequate at 50yds and my friends at the range love it too.

Boolit Master
    I was shooting a Lee 255RNFP at almost 1600fps just to feel the power, and yes steel butt plate hurt, put a piece of 1/2" 3M foam on it and is comfortable now. Now I shoot same boolit and a 200grRNFP at 1000-1200fps, much nicer shooting and friendly. I saved the other loads for up north at cabin for bear. I have the 16" SS Puma.

Quote Originally Posted by matrixcs View Post
    That steel butt-plate is pretty unforgiving. Using 7.2gr Unique under 200gr frn right now but looking for a powder that I can use which fills the (large) case enough to see it.
    TrailBoss should fit that bill.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    TrailBoss should fit that bill.
    Thanks. if I can find some.. I have been looking but I will wait till I can get other powders at the same time.
    No powders are locally available so the hazmat fee needs to be diluted to be palatable..

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Mike started with the questions so I figure I can ask some too. What is the bullet you are using, the Lee RF? Checked or plain base? Are you using slow pistol powders - H-110, N110, 4227, Li'l Gun, 296W, HS7, 2400? What's yur barrel length? This can get interesting.
    Last edited by helice; 08-04-2015 at 02:06 PM.