RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: IMPROVEMENT IN METHODS OF MANUFACTURING BULLETS. (US patent, Kean bullets)

Post IMPROVEMENT IN METHODS OF MANUFACTURING BULLETS. (US patent, Kean bullets)

Not exactly swaging, but... This is how Winchester used machines to alter existing hollow point bullets to the "Kean" split tip bullet.

Images are here, might not make sense, but they are included.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=p...s/US219840.pdf

Specifcation forming part of Letters Patent No. 219,840, dated September 23, 1879; application filed July 28, 1879.

To all whom it may concern:

Be it known that I, WILLIAM W. WINCHESTER, of New Haven, in the county of New Haven and State of Connecticut, have invented certain Improvements in Methods of Manufacturing Bullets, of which the following is a specification.

This invention relates to an improved method of manufacturing what are known in the art as the “ Kean split or cruciform bullets.” These bullets have their forward ends provided with closed seams or slits, to facilitate the opening or spreading action upon encountering a bone or other hard resisting; object. These bullets are provided in the forward end with a central hole or cavity, a cap or plug to close the same, and with a series of closed seams or slits extending lengthwise and radiating from the central hole, whereby they are caused to expand and spread the more readily upon encounter in a bone or other hard resistance.

Hitherto the usual method pursued in the manufacture of these balls consisted in casting them in a complicated mold, with the recess and open slits in the front end, and subsequently finishing them and closing the seams by dies. This plan permitted the casting of but few bullets at a time, and rendered the production so slow and expensive that their general adoption was prevented.

My improved method consists in first casting the bullet with the recess, but without the slits, subsequently producing the slits by means of a saw or a knife, of suitable form, actuated by machinery, and finally compressing the bullet in a die to close the slits.

Attachment 145620 Attachment 145617 Attachment 145618 Attachment 145619 Attachment 145616

Figure 1 represents the bullet in its first form, the figure showing a longitudinal section and an end view. Fig. 2 illustrates the bullet as it appears after the cutting of the slits therein. Fig. 3 represents the finished bullet; Fig. 4, one form of the cutting'or slitting tool; Fig. 5, one form of the die for compressing the bullet and closing the slits.

The bullet A is first made by casting or swaging in the form shown in Fig. 1, with a solid or unbroken front end having a central cavity or hole, a, therein. subjected to the action of a ‘knife or slitting punch, B, such as shown in Fig. 4, or any other suitable knife, saw, or other cutting tool,where by the longitudinal radial slits c are formed in the front end of the bullet, as shown in Fig. 2. After these slits are made the bullet is acted upon by a die, C, such as shown in Fig. 5, or any equivalent compressing device, where by it is compressed and reduced at the forward end, so as to close tightly the slits and give the bullet a smooth finished appearance. In other respects the exterior of the ball may be finished in any approved or desired manner.

The hole may be left open or closed by means of the inverted sheet-metal shell or cap e, as shown, or by other ordinary means.

My invention relates solely to the method of producing the body of the bullet.

What I claim as my invention is—

The herein-described method of making expansive bullets, consisting in first making the bullet with an unbroken tubular front end, subsequently cutting the slits therein, and finally compressing the front 'end to close the slits, substantially as set forth.

WILLIAM W. WINCHESTER.

Witnesses:
    DANIEL H. VEADER,
    WM. W. CONVERSE.
    Last edited by ohland; 07-29-2015 at 10:53 PM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Ohland, you always come up with the coolest stuff. Thanks for posting all of your research.

Kev, home of Jiffy Mix corn muffins
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Quote Originally Posted by minmax View Post
    home of Jiffy Mix corn muffins
    Corn Meal Muffin mix FOOD OF THE GODS!
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Yes I saw that on one of your links, made me & laugh.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Quote Originally Posted by minmax View Post
    Yes I saw that on one of your links, made me & laugh.
    Think of "Bachelor Chow" on Futurama...

I expect those raised on white cornbread will be less enthusiastic on yellow cornbread, but whip out a fresh loaf or dish of it, cut some, slather in butter, add jam, and yuuum.

Without getting into a knock down, drag out fight over chili (with beans, no beans, beef, pork, squid, anchovies, whatever...) take some dry cornbread, crumple it up and make a mound on a plate, spoon some chili on it, cover with more cornbread, nuke if needed, stir up the cornbread n chili, add some jalapeno hot sauce, and send your taste buds to heaven...
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!