Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: boolit sizing

boolit sizing

I am using a lee push through sizing set for .358 on boolits cast in a new lee .358-150 mold the boolits are dropping at .3594 155 gr. with ww lead. When I push them through the sizer I am getting a small lip on the base of the boolit. I have read that using a top punch will stop the boolit from having a lip. I have checked for a top punch for the lee kits with no luck. RCBS & Lyman top punches are to short to reach the sizing ring in the die.
    Does anyone know of a person or company that sells a top punch for the lee dies?
    Or has anyone worked up a means of holding a lube die and top punch in an arbor press to top punch boolits?
    Thanks, Mark

Boolit Grand Master

Don't understand the "small lip on the base of the boolit " post photo's. of lips...the ones on the boolit. Something's not right.
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master

Normally when sizing .001"-.003" there won't be any burr left on the base. When swaging/sizing lead the excess lead has to go somewhere and with Lee sizing, it goes to/beyond the base. I'd double check the dimensions because normally any burr won't be noticeable (sounds like you're reducing the diameter more than .0015"). Top punches are not used with the Lee sizer dies, just a flat rod to push the bullet through nose first.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    It's kinda normal if using soft lead mix and sizing down more then a little, the metal from the bottom "band" has to go somewhere.

First of all, are you tumble lubing them before sizing or are these bullets pan lubed, hand lubed or lubed some other way before you push them through the sizer or are you pushing them through the sizer dry?

Going through the sizer dry is not good unless these are powder coated and 1.5 mil sizing with PC bullets will go through like melted butter.

Banned

Ah, just get into gas checking with the lee. I do & l shoot straighter.

-----------------------------

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    First of all . . and this may sound "stupid" to you . . but are your sure your Lee .358 push through sizer is sizing at .358? Just because it says .358 . . doesn't mean it is actually that size as not all Lee sizers are "created equal".

Mine (.358) was "undersize" and I had to polish it out to .358. If you are sizing them "as cast" . . try putting some in a tupperware bowl, throw in a dab of paste wax and swirl good . . then run through the sizer.

I have the same mold and I don't remember what they drop at, but it is somewhere around .359 and I just shoot them as they drop without sizing in my 38s. I have cast some soft lead boolits out of several old Ideal .360 molds for the 38 S & W and sized them down to .358 and I don't get the burr you speak of . . . but that's just me. I have gotten it sizing a 8mm boolit from a NOE .325 mold which dropped larger with the alloy I use when sized to .323 - it was a stout "push" and I ended up using a NOE base chamfer tool on those.

On the Lee push through sizer, the boolit is usually pushed through nose first which is what you've been doing. I suppose you could get another push through stem from Lee or have one made with the end turned so it is "concave" to match the boolit and feed it through base first.

Before all of that though . . . you can try two things and see what happens. Load them as they are (sized) and then take a couple of "unsized" boolits (as dropped from the mold) and load a couple of "dummy rounds" - i.e. - no primer & no powder. See how the boolit seats and crimps and then try them in your chambers.

another thing to check is the method of measurement you are using. Are you using a micrometer or a set of dial calipers? If calipers, try to measure with a micrometer which will give you a much more accurate measurement. Check a sized boolit to make sure your Lee sizing die is actually .358. If not, it's an easy job to polish it out to make it .358.

Good luck and keep us posted please on how it works out.

As a side note . . . at this point, I wouldn't worry too much on the hardness of your lead. I cast out of soft lead for use in my BP cartridges and "range lead" for my smokeless loads - I'm pretty "low tech" and I tumble lube in Alox/Paste Wax - no problems with leading at all.

I am dry sizing the boolits in prep. for PC. They are WW lead. Later I will try a WW / soft lead blend
    I have checked the diameter = .3595 with a mike. barrel slugs at .3573. boolit checks at .358 from the die.
    I want to PC the boolits then size to .359 after PC and install a PB gas check. Check fit in chambers with dummy boolit as recommended then range fire a few and store a bunch.
    Mark

Boolit Buddy
    PC. then size they will slide right smooth with or with out GC.
    CC

I would just powder coat them first, then size them to your final desired diameter.

Banned

I like size and gc all in one push. I think pbgc stays on better.

Boolit Master
    I agree, you are wasting your time to size first unless you are trying to seat a gas check. Just powder coat the bullets like they come out of the mold then they will slide through your sizing die without a problem. A few squirts of spray bullet lube if you want the powder coated bullets to slide through even easier. I make my own lube by mixing lanolin with alcohol.