Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Micro Bed...........

Boolit Master

Micro Bed...........

Anybody remember the micro bed that came in two tubes you mixed together?
    I think it was sold by Brownells. I loved that stuff...so easy to use. What would
    be a good replacement for it? Thanks for any info.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

I like Acraglas Gel, since it's not as runny.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1038.aspx

Boolit Master
    Yes, I like the gel, also.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Moderator Emeritus

There are quite a few epoxies out now that can be used. Some favor Marine Tex, which you can get at most marine dealers. It has some kind of filler in it to make it harder/tougher when dried, but I can't recollect right now whether it's steel dust or what. Acra Glass Gel has been very popular for a long time, and I believe it comes with some fiberglass powder to add extra strength to it and make it more incompressible over time. If using it on a heavy kicking rifle, I like to add some sort of powdered metal or fiberglass to the mix for extra strength and to make it more incompressible and unyielding over time. Even tried some cleaned and dried fine sand once, and that rifle was still going strong last I heard from it. For anything up to maybe the '06/7mm mags, the straight stuff should be OK, but I still like to use a filler to make it harder/denser/more incompressible over time. All work really well, but like the OP, I liked Microbed for its good work time. It gave me the time I wanted to get screw tensions just right during the hardening/drying phase, so I could get it just so. FWIW?

Boolit Master
    I remember mirco bed and I for one miss it dearly. As you indicated, VERY easy to use, just squeeze out an equal length line from each tube and mix together. Need just a dab for a project, easy to do, need the whole tube, easy to do. I think the walnut color was great also (don't remember if they also had black or not, but maybe). Walnut color was perfect for just about anything you want to do with a walnut stock. I have not found anything that is as easy to use and nothing I have found comes close to being as easy to measure out and mix. Dang I miss that stuff!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I like the Acragel. We used to use Richard's Micro Bed years ago. We found that by the time we had bedded the rifle, sent the metal out for finishing and received it back, the bedding would have expanded, making it necessary to re-inlet the metal to get it back into the stock.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Waksupi. That's a first for me, but I do believe you. I always bedded AFTER all metal work was done, and never had a problem, but your post sure is interesting. I honestly don't have a clue. I know the fit in all that I did was tight, but that's what I wanted to begin with. I don't challenge your results at all, and am just trying to think of any instance I ran into that would run parallel to yours, and just haven't thought of one yet. Procedural order CAN make a difference, which is one of the reasons I did things the way I did them, but I would never have expected what you cite. In the future, though, I'll darn sure be aware of it, and bed accordingly. Want to make a set of grips for my Colt DS now, so will definitely take your info to heart with that neat old gun. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I too had problems with Micro Bed expanding after it was set.
    I loved the stuff, and miss it..
    But the last time I used Micro Bed was back in the late 70's

Boolit Grand Master

I used Micro Bed for stock repairs (still have a kit) but found it lacking as a bedding compound compared to Devcon or Bisonite. I mostly use Devcon steel but on my match rifles I use Devcon Titanium.

http://www.championshooters.com/inde...=25&Itemid=111

http://www.amazon.com/Devcon-10110-P.../dp/B010JWGL5Q

http://www.amazon.com/DEVCON-10760-L.../dp/B00DHMF48Q

Moderator Emeritus

BTW, for stock repairs, I've come to like Accraglass with finely powdered walnut dust from the belt sander to be my current favorite. Never had a problem with it coming out, and it looks a lot like a small knot in the wood, so it's relatively natural looking, even if usuallly darker than the rest of the wood. Just a FWIW.