Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wads for paper patch

Wads for paper patch

I've tried the search function for my question but find a lot to wade through. I've tried PP for a couple of years now and have only got fair result. My stack has been 30-125-30 hdpe and SPG cookie. I think my paper may be too thin as well because I've gotten pretty severe leading. I'm switching to buffalo arms 100% cotton 9# paper for starters. Don McDowell has used felt muzzleloading wads lubed with jojoba oil. Id like to move in that direction but am unsure of other wads in his stack or how best to lube the felt wad. Any help will be apprecuated. Thank you.
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Boolit Master
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by mustanggt View Post
    Don McDowell has used felt muzzleloading wads lubed with jojoba oil. Id like to move in that direction but am unsure of other wads in his stack or how best to lube the felt wad.
    Why don't you send a PM to Don McDowell and ask him those questions?
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    Try this: A single milk carton wad, a 3/16 SPG cookie, another single milk carton wad, and a bullet patched to .002 UNDER bore diameter seated .200 down into the case. You will be surprised at how well it will shoot.

Thanks Charlie. I'll do that.
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The wad stack I use is pretty simple. It's the Muzzleloader original dry lubed felt wads (the ones for capnball revolvers) and a wad punched from the NAPA rubber cork gasket material. I then wipe the expose portion of the patch with jojoba oil, and wipe off the excess with a tea towel.
    Have also had some target loads indicate some possibile, with just the napa rubber cork wad.
    Don't know what paper you're using now, but 8 lb tracing paper is working better for me than the 9 lb cotton paper. I've been using the Seth Cole 55 w, but found some rolled 8lb at the Staples office supply ( look for it in the drafting supplies) that appears to be the same stuff.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Thank you Don. I found two big rolls of the 8# paper that will give me two life time supplies on the net so would love to have that paper work. Can I get that NAPA cork gasket at the parts store itself? Is the felt wad used dry?

Hi Mustang-------------look for NAPA p/n 3187---------------26" x 10" x 1/16 thick

Dave

Mustang what Dave said about the Napa cork, take note tho , they do offer a thicker material so be sure and tell the counter guy you want the thin stuff.
    Those felt wads I buy are lubed with a dry lube, and are used just as they come from the package.

What kind of dry lube is in those felts Don?

I cant think what they call it at the moment. There's a full description of them on Midway. They put them on sale every winter so I buy 10 packages.

Boolit Grand Master

Don I have been using the Napa rubber fiber gasket material for wads as you have suggested with great results. Where can I get The JoJoba oil at I cant find it around here anywhere.

Boolit Master
    I'm not Don, but I can help. Dealt with these folks before, and all was good.

https://www.thesage.com/catalog/prod...l--Golden.html
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

CG, check the health food stores. If you have a GNC they even carry it in 4 oz bottles, that would likely be a lifetime supply.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Gentleman for the information

Boolit Master
    google or check Amazon for jojoba.

This is where I get mine. I get a liter when I order some.
    http://www.newlifesystems.com/produc...id^52044800545

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    I cant think what they call it at the moment. There's a full description of them on Midway. They put them on sale every winter so I buy 10 packages.
    Ok so this may be a stupid question. I've used paper patch only a little bit a long time ago (.577-450 MH). I understand using a lube cookie, but, the felt is a new one for me on this (I did use them with a C&B revolver).

When using just felt and cork how is the fouling controlled? Just the Jojoba and what the felts are lubed with?

Fouling is controlled either by blow tube or wiping. The lobe in the felt helps keep the fouling soft,the felt it self protects the base of the bullet. The jojoba "sizes" the paper and helps to keep it from grabing on to the rifling to hard.

Boolit Master
    Thank you, sir.