Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

Thread: New Jaeger rifle! Questions though...

Boolit Bub

New Jaeger rifle! Questions though...

Just picked up this jaeger rifle on gunbroker for an absolute steal. The Ad said its was from the mid to late 1800's and I see no reason to doubt that, but please correct me if I am mistaken. The barrel is lightly rusted throughout, but the rifling is strong. It looks like it does one full twist down the barrel, so about 1:27 or 1:30, but thats my best guess. Even if its twice that thats still pretty quick. The bore appears to be .68 and i have not had a chance to slug it. I cleaned the rust out of the lock and the hammer snaps hard with just a light breath on the set trigger. And now for the part you came here for!

Also, does anyone know where i can find a replacement screw like this one?

Any suggested starting loads would be greatly appreciated. The twist seems fast for round ball and I haven't really dabbed my feet in conicals.

Boolit Buddy
    I would start with a 70 grains by volume FF black powder, if and only if you know it is a sound firearm. Clean the bore very well with a copper bore brush, water with dawn dish soap and get a jag and a old t shirt to cut patches out of if you don't want to buy patches. Get it as clean as possible with this process first. If it is still rusty which by looking at your pic it will be start with this. Mix up some water and molasses 7 parts water to one part molasses and fill the barrel with this solution for a couple hours after you plug the nipple so it is water tight. Dump the solution run the bore brush through it some more and a jag with a patch or to (whatever it takes to get a tight fit). This solution will remove blueing so make sure if you spill any on steel to wipe it off and oil immediately. This will remove all the rust. Once you have it rust free get your barrel dry and inspect it well with a bore light. Oil immediately after this to prevent rusting. Brownells is we're I would look for a screw. I can't help you to date it but I will guess late 1800's. Once you get a proper fitting jag and a good cleaning rod you can check the twist.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the molasses advice! After initially looking over it I can't find any faults in the barrel so that's reassuring to a degree. Now to convince the wife I need the molasses...

Just tell her that you want some to put on your oatmeal for breakfast in the mornings or that you would like some ginger bread.

Boolit Buddy
    Rust removal - Evaporust from O'Reilly's. I did a co- workers pyrodex rusted barrel - down to bare metal.

Perma-Banned
    don't use grocery store molasses. you need to go to a farm type feed store & get sulfured molasses like used in "sweet feed" for horses.

That screw was hand made. You'll have to find someone who can make another for you. Steve Zihn might be able to help you.

szihn@wyoming.com

Boolit Grand Master

Tom is right. If you know someone with a metal lathe they can do the job. It was probably hand cut with a file by the looks of it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    The local gunshows by me usually have a bunch of guys selling black powder parts. They just dump them in a bucket. Check your local gunshow and maybe get lucky. You'd probably get it for next to nothing

Boolit Grand Master

With that tight a twist, I would start a little lower on the powder charge, more like 50 gr. &0 won't hurt a thing but you want to find the best load. I would also take the screw to a hardware store and try to find a close match before having an expensive hand made one. To get a more accurate idea of the twist get a cleaning jag that will fit fairly tight with a patch. Mark the rod and push it in. 1 full turn in so many inches gives you the twist. If it doesn't make a full turn the watch it until it makes a half turn and multiply by 2 and so on. looks like you got a good one, have fun.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Very nice! Looks like you scored a nice shooter once you get it cleaned up. That one will be fun to play with!

Boolit Bub
    It's that "once I get it cleaned up" part that'll kill me. It slugged out at .69 on nose so I just ordered a ball mould. I can't wait. I promise a range report in the future

What is the length of the barrel? Overall length of the rifle? Have you set a micrometer on the bore? I saw you "slugged out." Is this mike?

I have two .70 cal Jaegers and one needs a ball of .678 and the other is .656. I use a .018 patch, lubed with Ballistol mixed 1 Balistol to 9 parts water. Also useful in cleanup of BP residue.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMax View Post
    What is the length of the barrel? Overall length of the rifle? Have you set a micrometer on the bore? I saw you "slugged out." Is this mike?

I have two .70 cal Jaegers and one needs a ball of .678 and the other is .656. I use a .018 patch, lubed with Ballistol mixed 1 Balistol to 9 parts water. Also useful in cleanup of BP residue.
    This thread is from 2015 and the OP has not been heard from since 2017. You might not get a response.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.