Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: max distance

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AKbushman49 View Post
    All the above info is good but relative. Lots of variables, Black or Brown bear, size, attitude of the bear, distance. I have seen a few browns put down, some go easy some go hard. Grant you these were large (800lbs+) problem brown bears. Other than finishing them off, it was done with large cal high powered rifles. I don't want to get into a flame war here, just stating an opinion based on some very scary personal experiences. I've lived in this state for 40+ yrs. Been in the SE where you have both blacks and browns (big ones) and worked on the remote coastal radio sites, with really big browns, not to mention Kodiak. Been stalked and charged by a few browns (Cape Hinchinbrook, Montegueue Is, Yakatat just to name a few) A large cal hand gun is the last resort in my opinion, yes its been done. But if one is to err do it one side of overkill. I prefer something that will put over a ton of energy into the "problem". Getting MEDIVACed is NOT an option. If one decides to shoot, shoot to kill, a lot of the "problem" bears had been shot before but not killed. They were a very angry, in pain creature, with a bad attitude, and were very difficult to put down. It's simply amazing how much punishment these animals can take and still keep coming. bushman
    Super post. Very true. But a BIG revolver can work. Some want a .32 or nine, maybe a 10mm.
    Carry guns are sighted at 7 yards.
    I suppose the smallest for me in bear country would be a .475. No I don't want it in a stinking 2" barrel. A rifle or shotgun is best but a longer barrel revolver will not work.
    Everyone is a quick draw artist for the seconds a bear can reach you.
    It has been proven a BG can reach you with a knife before you can draw and fire. Now a bear is much faster. He has more then one knife.
    Then the fear and adrenaline kicks in so to hit anything means to carry the salt and pepper. Many can't hit a deer with a rifle.
    The gun must be in hand, not a holster. You do not have time to draw. Toss the quick draw stuff.
    do you sling a rifle across your back in bear country or is it in your hand? Same with a big revolver.
    I do not want a stinking Ruger Alaskan.

Boolit Bub
    44man- Very true, Long Gun always in hand, at the ready when hunting. Not a scoped rifle either. Practice snap shooting. Pay attention. Same with magnum pistols, be VERY familiar with your weapon of choice. Practice some of the LE type training with popups. Always be alert. I live in mother murphy's bear country, if not prepared, you're praying it won't happen. bushman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Do NOT run, all preditors seem have a built in "it moves, it runs, chase it and kill it" instinct.

Be aware of your surroundings, make enough noise so the bear hears you a distance off.
    Can't remember when or where but I was taught all predators respond the same way, if you're small enough for them to eat: Running will trigger the "persue" response.
    I was also warned that if a bear (or other large carnivore) sees you first, don't try to hide. A lot of predators prefer to attack from a concealed position. If you're trying to conceal yourself, they think you're preparing to attack them.
    Stand still or walk away. Make noise if you want to.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned

Good thoughts. Even deer respond to hiding and will vacate the area. They get very nervous when you freeze.

Boolit Master
    I carry a Glock 20 10mm with a stout load in the mountains. I don't really use the sights when I'm shooting it so I don't know where it is dead nuts sighted in at. Chances are if I'm shooting a bear with it were it is sighted in doesn't matter because there are going to be powder burns on the bear.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not sure if I relayed the intent of this post very well
    the point where there is no doubt that if you don't shoot to kill you become bear scat
    some of the replies were for actual sight in of revo that was not my intent
    thanks
    I want to have my b.i.l practice for defense from attack of large predator
    I know all big predators cats,wolves and bears attack differently but he will most likely encounter bears
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Well I'll tell you one thing, learning to shoot a magnum handgun accurately in DA mode is a very valuable skill to foster. I've been working on that this year, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Last time I was out at WLL with Glenn and Leah, I was hammering the heck out of a steel plate at 40-50 yards DA. I was tagging it 4 out of 6 IIRC, and that was a really awesome experience! I couldn't believe I was actually doing it! With hot loads of 310 Lee under 2400 no less! Magnum handgun DA has been my Achilles heal for years, and I fee like I'm getting real close to plugging that hole.
    Seems like shooting DA should be a priority for anyone thinking of defending themselves from a charging bear eh?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Banned

None of us will be like Jerry with the speed he can shoot so we need to depend on the first shot.
    Get to the big bores and barrel rise will beat you.
    The .44 is not bad, we used to put cardboard in a tire and roll it down a steep hill. Dump 6 shots from a 29 into the cardboard double action. It would checker my palm is all.
    You can get very good DA but it takes constant shooting.
    The worst thing you will face with a bear is getting the gun out and on the bear. You can be a quick draw expert with 10 hours a day practice. That means EVERY day.
    I used to hold a pistol in my left hand, throw a bottle as hard and far as I could with my right arm, grab the gun and break the bottle. Stop for a week and I had to start all over again tossing one up with my left hand.
    DA shooting is the same, EVERY day.
    I go into bear country I want the gun in hand. I want a big enough gun too. Bad thing about a bear is he can be a bush away.

Boolit Master

I read that your sidearm it going to be for bear protection and not hunting. If so, them you sight it in at 10 yards and practice DA shooting with full charged carry ammo. Actually, you won't see your sights if it happens. If you trained (and it doesn't take allot, maybe 5-10 sets of triples once a week) you will shoot where you look at. Some dry firing practice couple times a week as well for muscle memory. Shot allot of weapons in CQB situations in both Saudi and IDOC. What your grouping at 25 or 50 yards don't mean squat if you can't put 3 round in a 12" area quickly at arms distance.

Good luck,
    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    I read that your sidearm it going to be for bear protection and not hunting. If so, them you sight it in at 10 yards and practice DA shooting with full charged carry ammo. Actually, you won't see your sights if it happens. If you trained (and it doesn't take allot, maybe 5-10 sets of triples once a week) you will shoot where you look at. Some dry firing practice couple times a week as well for muscle memory. Shot allot of weapons in CQB situations in both Saudi and IDOC. What your grouping at 25 or 50 yards don't mean squat if you can't put 3 round in a 12" area quickly at arms distance.

Good luck,
    Jerry
    PRACTICE! My little groups mean squat at 2 or 3 feet. Speed without thinking is where it will be. You can do it, just keep at it. All I figure is I want the boolit to exit the bears butt if I hit it.
    I will never be in that position anyway since I stay home. The most dangerous thing here is a mean chipmunk!

Boolit Master

I respect you views and seek your wisdom man times, 44man. No disrespect meant.

Yes, you want something to punch through the beast. But instead of relying on one well placed shot, maybe two or three good placed shots as close to center mass is better than a miss.

And have you considered a cat to keep the chipmunks away?

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree with practice in shooting
    I never really considered speed and draw
    these things I will be telling my bil to practice on
    the boolit will be a 320 gr.from Accurate
    I have had a deep respect for this design (lfn-gc)
    and boolit for along time
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    I respect you views and seek your wisdom man times, 44man. No disrespect meant.

Yes, you want something to punch through the beast. But instead of relying on one well placed shot, maybe two or three good placed shots as close to center mass is better than a miss.

And have you considered a cat to keep the chipmunks away?

Jerry
    Every thing is better then a miss. But it comes down to time.

Boolit Master

Sighting distance? I thought the best technique for defending yourself against bear attack was to slow your hunting partner down with a .25ACP in the leg. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Me I will just pray Lord let me hit center Mass with every discharge.

Pucker factor is real, for a bear stopper load and bear protection/stop a 12ga brenneke slug is my choice.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Me I will just pray Lord let me hit center Mass with every discharge.

Pucker factor is real, for a bear stopper load and bear protection/stop a 12ga brenneke slug is my choice.
    Oh yeah. Nice!
    On that note, leave us not forget the .730 round ball 12gauge load in a good semi auto shotgun, an 1895 loaded with 405gr SWC, or a good old fashioned M1A (the original bear medicine). I'm especially fond of the M1A!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I know this has been beat to death and I have heard all the arguments against handguns for bear defense.That aside,if you were carrying a hand gun for protection and last resort against bear attack where would you adjust your sights(Max distance?) the line in the sand so to speak.The actual distance where you know that its time to either meet your maker or put the bear down.How close will you let a bear thats out to kill you bear get?
    There's been some good advice on this already, but the thing that strikes me about the inquiry is this. If you're concerned about where to sight the gun (distance) your head is already on the platter. Knowing the gun and being proficient would be the path to salvation.

Might be the last thing you would do with a bear charging is squint down the sights to make sure you hit where you want to hit.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Grand Master
    actually I really have no concern at all over where the gun is sighted
    what I was interested in is where you would actually draw and fire on a eminent attack
    the information was for my BIL who travels into big boy territory
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Bub
    As was already mentioned you should draw when you first see or hear the bear. When to shoot is a decision you need to make based upon your experience and your proficiency. Sometimes due to brush and undergrowth you won't have an opportunity to take a good shot until they are very up close and personal. I would rather wait a few seconds and be sure of a good headshot then to take an iffy body shot in the brush. I say this with the voice of experience, been there, done that and had to clean out my drawers later...

Boolit Master
    Most people just don't listen. They ask how did you make that shot? How did you miss?

All comes down to shouldering a rifle and pointing a pistol. You have to teach your self by shouldering that long gun, with your eyes shut is your target close. Now about 50 yds away off to side without looking, find an object in your peripheral view, shoulder gun see if the object is close. Repeat until your getting it. Do the same with a pistol but pointing it. If you are deer hunting and try to scope a deer and have trouble getting it in the scope this is why, practice and practice. If your firearm is sighted in there no need to shoot it unless your wanting to, bullet will go where you tell it to. The gun doesn't need practice you need to aim it, point it, tell the bullet where to go. I'm all for shooting but time and time I see it is just noise and not of value for most. (95% or more) never make daily , even weekly trips to range. Me I shoot one season and maybe two fall and winter. Sight-in is a few shots. Not too often do I miss, put I have from time to time. Darn shotguns are a different story LOL I'm good one minute and miss everything the next, LOL that the only firearm I like to make noise with.

44 mag. loaded with 200-220 gr. xtp moving near max load. Is what I would use on black bears.

Personally I'm a first shot person, I joke but at range with pistol, 50 yds. 44 mag. weeks between shooting 50 yds. first shot, 1.5 high that where is sighted in for. Guys at range asked for me to shoot the rest, I ask why. No reason to. Any way the rest of the shots were every where all over the paper and one missed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast