Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: AR build help

Boolit Master

AR build help

I am slowly getting the goodies together for my son's ar 15. I just received the upper from MidState firearms and all I can say they are fast-prompt! My question is on this buffer tube kit, do I want mil spec or commercial and what is the differance? I handled one of these complete guns for the first time about 3 month ago and I am ready to hock off all my levers and bolts for ar's(well almost). I want one in 6.8spc. I have done alot of research and still don't know much but my neighbor is a retired military man and he said he would show me how to assemble it so that should be better then me learning by myself. The upper we got is in 223 wyde.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    Buffer Tube - Mil Spec. Mil vs. Commercial - Difference is diameter. I think there are more (a lot) butt stock options with the mil. spec tube.

4 or 6 positions (buffer tube) - what ever....you want.

Buy a nicer trigger - two stage Rock River is a good value.

6.8spc - If Walmart (or LGS) had ammo - easier to find 223/5.56 or 300 BO. Neat to have special calibers - but building/reloading/making ammo is a lot easier in the two above.

Boolit Master

The commercial tube is slightly larger in diameter than military and I order mil spec just because it makes it easier for me to remember. After you've done your first you will know how easy they are to build.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

...also a slight slant at the rear of the commercial tube.

Boolit Grand Master

Commercial tube is slightly larger diameter. I use MilSpec to make it easy. Doesn't matter which one you use as long as you order the correct stock. You can build one in a short amount of time. They're just like Legos.

Boolit Master

As one of my sergeants in the Armament Shop said to me, "Sir, the M4 is so easy to build, I'd even trust one of the LTs to make one as long as I looked over their shoulder..."

So easy even an LT can make one...classic. Eugene Stoner should be ranked right alongside J.C. Garand, Paul Mauser and Mikhail Kalishnikov when it comes to designing rifles.
    Last edited by bruce drake; 07-28-2015 at 12:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

It has already been said here, but I would go with the mil-spec option. More stocks are available in the Mil-spec diameter.

Boolit Master
    thanks fellas for the input, I had a funny feeling milspec would be the better uniform way. What I like is the weight and ability to balance these units coupled with the accuracy ability. I and my son are not gadget guys so the add ons and gadgets are moot for us! I looked out window yesterday and saw this box propped against the mail box for all the world to see and thought thank God for honest folk driving by!!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    thanks fellas for the input, I had a funny feeling milspec would be the better uniform way. What I like is the weight and ability to balance these units coupled with the accuracy ability. I and my son are not gadget guys so the add ons and gadgets are moot for us! I looked out window yesterday and saw this box propped against the mail box for all the world to see and thought thank God for honest folk driving by!!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

I would also get a mil spec tube because of the stock options. I got a complete buffer tube and stock set for $100 at pegasus defense. It came with a magpul ctr stock, the buffer, buffer tube, and spring. All you need is that and a lower parts kit.

Generally speaking the butt stock kit with all the parts is less money than purchasing individual parts. If you don't have a box full of left overs to use up I'd look at a full kit. Then all parts should match up.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy
    All of my builds have a mil spec tube

Boolit Master

Either stock setup will work just fine! I've used both, but lately the commercial setup has been found at a better price, at least when I was buying. If you aren't a gadget nut (I'm not) it really doesn't make any difference.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Never been much of an autoloader guy but prices on new AR's are falling and alot of folks who bought them in the recent panics are now selling them at a loss to get their money back. Lee now makes a 55 grain boolit and so I've been wondering if the stock AR-15 is a viable cast boolit gun. I'm talking about trying for mild loads at .221 Fireball/.222 Remington level, just enough to cycle the action and wallop pests. Does lead and boolit lube tend to build up in the gas system? I really have little interest in shooting FMJ. Would I be better off just getting a bolt action?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Never been much of an autoloader guy but prices on new AR's are falling and alot of folks who bought them in the recent panics are now selling them at a loss to get their money back. Lee now makes a 55 grain boolit and so I've been wondering if the stock AR-15 is a viable cast boolit gun. I'm talking about trying for mild loads at .221 Fireball/.222 Remington level, just enough to cycle the action and wallop pests. Does lead and boolit lube tend to build up in the gas system? I really have little interest in shooting FMJ. Would I be better off just getting a bolt action?
    This gets asked about 3 times a month, or used to anyway. .223/5.56 is a decent cast boolit shooter. I've never had an issue with lead or lube buildup in any of our uppers, whether they were 5.56, 300 or 6.8. At moderate velocities they are accurate as well.