Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: kake cutters

Boolit Master

kake cutters

This may not be the place for this but is there anyone out there that makes kake cutters for those that pan lube , some of the calibers that I load I do not have dies for so I pan lube them any help would be appricated

Look up the cyberguy, he is a vendor sponsor here. I hear people are happy with his cutters.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-Cake-Cutters

I have a couple of Buckshot's cutters. Very nice work!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    yup cyberguy makes them. I have one of his.

Boolit Master

Buckshot's kake cutters are top notch. He makes them to your specifications. I have almost a full set and they beg to be stored in a nice case.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Dan View Post
    Look up the cyberguy......
    Where is he? Not on the vendor sponsor list or member list.

Boolit Bub
    When buying cutters-do you buy for the size the boolit drops (.360) or for the size you want to shoot (.359)? If the latter, does the cutter size or is that a separate process (say with a Lee Push Through)?
    Many thanks.

Cutters don't size. I believe, but can't say for sure, that you get your cutter a thou or so over as cast diameter so the boolit doesn't bind on its way through. Then, when you size it cleans up the extra lube, which lubes your sizer as an added benefit.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

nope cutters do not size they merely cut the boolit from the lube cake ( hence the name kake cutter ) they are best served a wee bit larger than actual current boolit size ( or else they'd have to be pounded down over the boolit )
    a fired cartridge should in most cases be around the right size ( some may be a bit snug however - especially with fat boolits ) the old golf club handle cutter is perhaps the second easiest ( in my humble opinion ) to fashion at home ( and fer cheap )
    i also have to confess that i much prefer the "whack it crack it " method when pan lubing , sadly with extreme short boolits it isnt always feasible
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    IF you have a cast bullet that
    measures 460 then you would want your kate cutter to be at least a .462 in size. That allows room for the cutter to slip down over the bullet and cut the lube from the pan.
    Buckshot will not make any sizes that are already made by Lee or another company. He only
    makes those molds that are not offered by a commercial company.
    Last edited by cajun shooter; 09-06-2015 at 11:03 AM.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    This may not be the place for this but is there anyone out there that makes kake cutters for those that pan lube , some of the calibers that I load I do not have dies for so I pan lube them any help would be appricated
    There are lubes that do not need cake cutters, these lubes can be pan lubed and the bullets will push out of the cake with perfect lube in the grooves and nothing but perfect holes left in the lube cake. Fast and easy.No other tools needed. No mess.
    Great for regular straight body bullets but if ever you shoot a tapered bullet - one like the BPCR money bullet, this is the best way to perfectly fill the different size diameter lube grooves.
    Once you see this and do it, you see how nice it works.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    What lube do you use? Does hard red lube work well for that? I want to pan lube 100 or so before i decide to buy a star....i need to see if my alloy works with no leading before buying.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    There are lubes that do not need cake cutters, these lubes can be pan lubed and the bullets will push out of the cake with perfect lube in the grooves and nothing but perfect holes left in the lube cake. Fast and easy.No other tools needed. No mess.
    Great for regular straight body bullets but if ever you shoot a tapered bullet - one like the BPCR money bullet, this is the best way to perfectly fill the different size diameter lube grooves.
    Once you see this and do it, you see how nice it works.
    what are the lubes that don't need a kake kutter?

thanks

emmerts comes to mind , it was the one i learned the "whack it crack it " method on , to be fair many lubes will work without a kake kutter , the joy is finding the sweet spot , for some it's temp , for others it's softness , most lubes can be tweaked to work as well , the harder lubes and the extremely sticky ones tho are the most challenging
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Vendor Sponsor

There are many lubes in between soft and hard you can make. Check the lube making sticky. Charlie Dell's book on the Schuetzen Rifle has lots of interesting recipes.

You want a lube that is soft enough to be able to push bullets out of and hard enough to hold together.
    Lubes that are sticky or tacky are not what you want nor do you want hard lubes unless you can find a temperature (warm) that makes the lube soft enough.

Buck Emmerts is one of the many variations that work well.

Equal parts of Bee's wax and peanut oil works well and is under-rated for general rifle and hand gun use.
    Emmerts is 50% bees wax, 40% Crisco and 10% veg oil like peanut oil. This is also a great lube.
    The old NRA formula is good if softened a little.
    Lubes like SPG and DGL are reported to be very good pan lubes but because I was able to build my own decades ago I have not tried them. I make a lube called Eagle lube and sell the extra to my shooting friends but I am not in the business - but I do not share the formula.

As time permits I will try to post some pictures which really helps to see how easy it can be when you get the hang of it.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 09-14-2015 at 07:54 PM.
    Chill Wills