Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master Caster questions

Master Caster questions

1. Has anybody used Aluminum or brass molds in one? I see Accurate Molds will make them any way you want.
    2. Can I really use RCBS or Lyman/Ideal molds in one? I saw in the manual that Magma makes shims and/or mounting hardware to mount them.

Thanks, Vance

ADMIN

From what I was told the machine will tear up the brass and alum molds over time. They will work and if your gentle last a while.

It's cheaper to send the mold you want done to magma and have them so the conversion. It's like $10 more then the cost of the adapters
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Thanks.

I have a brass 30 caliber rifle mold Accurate mold made for me. Very nice mold.
    I don't believe for a minute the magma machine will tear it up. Have cast tens of thousands of bullets on the master caster. All my molds stay in far better condition than when used in hand held handles. They close true onto the pins every time and no missing the spru plate with a wood stick then bashing the moulds,. Which I'll sometimes do when hand casting.

I went with brass because when mounted in the machine it's extra weight is no draw back.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

ADMIN

Well that's good to hear because I might get a few brass molds

Brass does work nice.

OK. Question 3. How do you pre-heat the mold. Or is it solely heated when you start pouring?
    I don't even have my Master Caster yet. On Thursday of last week They told me they could have one made in one week. So I expect they should be shipping it any time now. I ordered fro Accurate Molds 2 molds. A 35-125PZ and A 45-200I both in steel on Wednesday of last week.

Vance,

Once the molds are broken in, it only takes a few pours to get good bullets once the alloy is up to temperature. I've got molds for my Master Caster from Magma, RCBS, Saeco and Lyman. They all work, but the Lyman molds have less mass, so they can get over heated quicker, which slows down the casting production. You have to wait for the sprue to harden before bringing the mold forward.

You'll work out your own rhythm with the machine that works best for you. Some people use their right thumb to activate the pour, while others use a different method. I happen to like slightly rolling my hand and activating the pour lever with my thumb and forefinger together, since it spreads out the contact and my thumb doesn't get sore. I always wear leather gloves when casting with the machine, too.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

ADMIN

You will really like the accurate molds.
    If you don't intend to automate the master caster, I would at least make it auto lead pour.
    Lead pour is the most pain in the *** part of casting with the MC

So when Magma told me a week, I assumed it would be a week before they could ship. I ordered the Master Caster last Thursday and received it today, So it was one week. Awesome. Now I am just waiting for my molds.

I built a 2 foot by 4 foot bench with 32 inch tall legs to put this on and it really is the perfect height. Now I just need to figure out which end I want to mount it on. I'm thinking the right side. I don't want it in the middle.

If it were you guys, which side would you put it on?

I am considering automating it. Been reading the threads I have found on here about it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'm thinking the right side.
    Yes, the right side is better
    Regards
    John

The right side. You'll want all your "stuff" on the left side, away from the handle. I built a fixture for mine to sit on that raises it above the bench, with two wooden boxes underneath the machine. One catches the sprues and the other catches the bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Thanks. Confirmed what I was thinking. That fixture sounds interesting. This fixture sets on top of the bench, then the MC sets on the fixture? How tall is the fixture?

I built a three sided frame out of 2x8's a little larger than the footprint of the Master Caster. I used 3/4" plywood for a base for the machine itself and cut out a hole the same dimensions of the inside cavity of the machine (if that makes any sense). I screwed the plywood to the framework and bolted the machine to the plywood base. The large wooden box goes towards the back of the stand to catch the bullets, with the leading edge (closest to you) placed so the bullet ramp just drops the bullets into the box. The smaller box goes towards the front and catches the sprues.

I can try to take a picture of it, but I'm in the middle of a project, so it may take me a day or two.... I can also take some measurements and get back to you.

Hope this helps.

Fred

I just bolted mine down on a work bench. With the front hanging over. Then use an old lamp table that was laying around to set the bullet boxes on. A slide out shelf or drawer would be ideal. When I want to water drop bullets from the mold to heat treat. I use a steel bread pan with water. Set a five gallon bucket on the floor. When the pan gets loaded I dunk the pan in the bucket releasing bullets then scoop up another pan of cold water. Yes I end up getting a little wet. But it's important to keep the pace going to maintain steady mold temps.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Thanks Fred. I got the idea now. I had considered doing what Gabby did. I got time to think about how I want to mount it. Need to build my exhaust system too. I have an 8" duct fan that moves 400 cfm so I can exhaust the smoke and whatever outside.

I got my molds from Accurate today. (Finally!). A 45-200I and a 35-125PZ. Both are smooth sided for powder coating. I mounted the 45-200I and cast a few hundred. After I figured out the rhythm, it did not take long to get a good pile of bullets. I only filled the pot half full and cast until it was almost empty.

The bullets came out at .453 diameter which is what I specified and weigh 208 grains.

Oh, As you can see, I already coated and sized them.

Fun machines, aren't they? How did you end up mounting your Master Caster?

Fred

I built a three sided stand similar to what you did. Works great.

Boolit Master
    Accurate made a mold out of steel for me that is identical to a Magma mold uses the same mounting hardware as the Magma molds.

The mold is the Accurate 35-120G, the bullet is set up for the 357 SIG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast