Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8mm Mauser ???

8mm Mauser ???

I found 98 Mauser in very good condition. It has not been changed in any way , I have slugged the bore and come out with .318 inch.
    I have started wanting to shoot cast boolits out of it I have the mold, new brass, reloading die's and gas checks but the .321 sizing die has been repeatedly backordered, I want to shoot this rifle to see what it will do.
    I picked up a box of 8mm Serria game king 150 gr bullets lable shows them to be .323 inch , Serria manual has a warning about this.
    What do I do about this is this bullet safe to shoot in this rifle or should I just wait on the sizer die?

Boolit Master
    what you have is a j bore 8mm. the s bore was the .323. yes wait for the die. no don't shoot the s bore bullets in it.

Boolit Master
    What Model of Mauser do you have ?
    The Mauser is only the Manufacture, and different models came at one time with different barrels.
    The model can also determine what Loads are safe to shoot in your rifle, even if you have the right size bullets to match your Bore.
    Like the Model 88 is not as strong as the 98, and 98's did come with .318 bores before WW1
    Also, Commercial Custom Mausers could be had with the .318 Bore all the way into the 30's

it has the Spanish stamp on it but I can not find a year stamped on it, it look like a military 98 Mauser completely nothing about it is commercial or has ever been sporterized, does any one have the means to tell any thing from the serial number?

Boolit Master
    Pictures would help.
    But I have never seen a Spanish with a .318 bore.
    What model Spanish do you think it is ?
    Are you sure you slugged the barrel correctly and measured the slug correctly ?
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-26-2015 at 09:46 PM.

my ability to send pic's only goes as far as sending them on e-mail or text message,
    cock on close every thing about it looks to be a large ring 98

Boolit Master
    A 98 is Cock on Opening the bolt handle.
    You raise the bolt handle, and it cams the cocking piece back where it stays until the gun is fired.
    The Cock on Close, the cocking Piece is not retracted until the bolt is forced forward on closing.
    What is the serial number, and any Letters like OT that might say if it is Spanish.
    I have a Spanish 98 action, and it was a 8mm js.324 bore

Boolit Master

dh2,

What does the Spanish stamp say? Olvido, La Corouna or Modelo and a number on it?

These links may help you identify your "fusil o carabina de Espaņa."

http://www.masterton.us/Spanmauhome

http://masterton.us/Spanish_Markings
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 07-27-2015 at 12:47 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

possibly a horribly over-bored .308 conversion? a chamber cast is in order. im sure all cock-on-close spanish mausers were made in 7x57 and some were later converted to .308 .

the turks were the only people i know of to produce Cock on close mausers to 8x57.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    That Spandau Might be a .318 bore, but by 1917 almost all were built in .323
    But Spandau is German not Spanish, and a Gewehr 98 and they stopped installing the .318 barrels in 1904.
    But there were some rebuilt from old parts after WW1 using left over .318 barrels and sold out of the country.
    I still think the OP did not measure or slug his barrel properly.

Boolit Master
    I built a Cock on Closing 8mm out of a Spanish 1916 and gave it to Armoredman

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    To illustrate/back up what LAGS is referring to on the 1904 date for stopping the "j bore" - my 1905 Danzig Gew98 has the "s bore" - .323. It is completely original - never altered in any way and I knew the WWI vet who brought it back.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    That Spandau Might be a .318 bore, but by 1917 almost all were built in .323
    But Spandau is German not Spanish, and a Gewehr 98 and they stopped installing the .318 barrels in 1904.
    But there were some rebuilt from old parts after WW1 using left over .318 barrels and sold out of the country.
    I still think the OP did not measure or slug his barrel properly.

The germans adopted .323" S patronen in 1903. The only arsenal not to go .323 S patronen in 1903 completely was Amberg as they literally just started to make gew98's in 1903 off of old specs ( It was a bavarian vs prussian thingy ) . So NO gew98 was manufactured with a .321 barrel after 1903 , but .323" ONLY. - the gew98 never had .318 bores only the very early gew88's before they too went to nominally .321 bores ( before the adoption of S patronen .323 bullets in 1903 due to many problem issues of Bullet vs bore diameter ) .
    Any .318 bore mauser made in europe will be one of the myriad of gun guild deals utilizing surplus and or reject parts/rifles. The commercial circles preferred the .318 bores and adhered to that considerably longer hence alot of the confusion...not to mention czech rebarreled gew88's for ecquador that were given very tight .318 bores by the czechs for some god awfull reason.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

The gew98 pictured here was a Spandau made receiver , but Assembled by the main depot at Hannover - note the Large H stamped on receiver. By 1917 Spandau was still making gew98 parts and such and assembling in house few gew98's as they were armpit deep in MG production. Most spandau 17 and so far all 18 dated examples have proven to be assembled at depot level by parts like receivers made by spandau supplied by spandau. I do have a 1917 spandau assembled gew98 that is matching - not a terribly easy find.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

I have the crown but below it is an eagle on a flag, I would put up a pic but know how on here, all of the rest of my Mausers large ring and small ring have a date in them, but this one has the serial number on nearly every part and no date??

Boolit Grand Master

Assembly numbers on parts, not serial numbers.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

DH2,

I note your location is Fort Bragg, NC. Are you stationed there?

Posting a photo is very easy here.

1. Save the photo to a known folder address on your computer. One that you know the full address for. An example would be: C Drive: > Users > Your Name > My Photos > Weapons

2. Reply to this post

3. Use the button "Go Advanced" at the lower right of the window

4. Scroll all the way down in the new window and look for "Attachments"

5. Click on the "Manage Attachments"

6. Click on "Add Files" and then "Choose Files"

7. Navigate to your photo (see Number 1 above)

8. Highlight the photo and then click on "Upload Photo"

9. The photo will now in on your post.

This all assumes that you have a digital camera or a cell phone that that will take digital photos and that you upload them to your computer.

There are other options, but that's how I do it. A photo is worth a thousand words as they say.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

gew98 post is accurate. The actual, nominal groove diameter is 8.15mm (.32087). I know of no 98's that where barreled for SA with the Czech .316 groove barrels.

8.1mm (.3189) was the nominal civilian groove diameter. After WWI, you could have a "civilian" chambered rifle but, they where usually 8.15 x 46R 98's. Even though the 8.15 is .32087, most of those rifles had grooves between .315 and .318, .316 being very common.

What kind of a extractor does it have? The "claw" or controlled feed or does it have a smaller extractor that will go over the case rim when chambered?

Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast