RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My nut house.

Banned

My nut house.

Carol got all I wanted to make guacamole. Came out super but no one else in the house will even taste it. OK, Just watch that big bowl vanish. Suckers!
    I will be one fat, happy SOB!
    I make so much stuff nobody will eat here it is crazy. I hate to cook if nobody will eat it.
    Other things they go nuts for and I fight for some. Where is the line?
    Do you fellas find it at home?

Boolit Buddy

I do most of the food prep/cooking for the wife and I. Generally speaking, when I try something new, if she won't eat it, I won't either. Rare, but does happen occasional.

Need any help with that Guac? I could OD on that stuff!
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Where is the line?
    The line is with you. You know the family favorites. Stick to them. Make extra so you have some for yourself. Avoid meals that aren't crowd pleasers. Your favorites that get the group rejection, can always be had in smaller quantities for your enjoyment.
    New recipes can be done small quantity too. I've been the chief cook for many years now. Empty plates and full stomachs are the reward for meals done well.
    Keep at it. Life really is that simple.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

I too, am the chief chef for the wife and I. She has some food allergies and definite dislikes of some of my favorites.

It is not unusual for me to prepare different things for each of us at meal time.

I generally try to avoid cooking things in the house that cause smells that bother her. I use the side burner of the gas BBQ for those.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Moderator Emeritus

You can have the green snot all to yourself! I am down to cooking for myself 90% of the time so it is easy. What I like! When I cook at a friends house everything has to be salt free... blech, I do it and bring the salt shaker for myself!

Banned

im with your wife. AINT NO MEAT IN IT!!

Banned

Thankfully they love venison but carol likes shoe leather meat. Even her fried eggs are hockey pucks.
    I am slowly changing her to see a little pink in the middle is more tender and tasty. She will not eat garlic or anything with heat in it.
    Grandson has never eaten salad, will never eat a tomato but pours catchup on everything. He ate the heck out of the greens I made with bacon.
    Me, I eat anything! Cutting grass during the 17 year cicada thing, I ate every one I could catch. can't wait for another hatch to try them fried. Grass hoppers just taste like grass so I want to roast some.
    Watch the wife if I put some on the grill!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Thankfully they love venison but carol likes shoe leather meat. Even her fried eggs are hockey pucks.
    I am slowly changing her to see a little pink in the middle is more tender and tasty. She will not eat garlic or anything with heat in it.
    Grandson has never eaten salad, will never eat a tomato but pours catchup on everything. He ate the heck out of the greens I made with bacon.
    Me, I eat anything! Cutting grass during the 17 year cicada thing, I ate every one I could catch. can't wait for another hatch to try them fried. Grass hoppers just taste like grass so I want to roast some.
    Watch the wife if I put some on the grill!

Wow, did that bring back memories. My mother, back when I was a young'un, would throw a pot roast in the oven at around 8am of a Sunday morning. Supper was around 6pm. The pot roast stayed in the oven till around 5:45pm--taken out just enough prior to allow for making gravy. Talk about shoe leather! I think some of those roasts may have lasted 6 weeks nailed to a 10 year olds boots! I think I was about 16 yrs old, prior to the discovery, that meat could actually be cooked some other way!

Love You Mom!
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Perma-Banned

My kids used to ask their mother, who cooked, you or Dad? If she said Dad, they were seated at the table, knives and forks at the ready! For those with young, keep trying to get them to taste it. Don't force them. Someday they will and like it.

OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Boolit Master
    My wife will not eat what I cook, hence she cooks, I eat. I never complain about it, I always tell here it is wonderful. If I didn't I would have to do it my self.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Vendor Sponsor

Me and the gf both cook, both love each others cooking, she is nuts for anything I grill or BBQ. We both eat fresh what we grow in the garden, I guess I should be real thankful there are no incompatibilities when it comes to the kitchen and how we eat.. She's a yankee girl but will eat grits and oysters and most things southern.. The first Thanksgiving, her and her friend were gonna "be nice" and taste the collards just to be polite, but then they both ate hell out of them and loved them!

Now I got her a taste of some shrimp & grits with tasso gravy OMG!!

Oh yeah, she makes AWESOME guacamole!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

My neighbor was over for supper one night(she is 75, poorer than I am,fighting thyroid cancer... so I make a meal for her once a week) and I was making kale. She made a face about the cooked greens but when she started eating them she took seconds. I browned garlic in bacon fat, removed it and set it aside, added some onions and cooked until tender, added the kale and just barely wilted it. Sprinkled the crispy browned garlic bits on top along with the bacon bits from cooking 3 strips of bacon off for the fat.

Boolit Master
    I was cooking my own eggs, preparing my own breakfasts and lunches by the time I was 8 years old. I taught my first wife to cook. I do love to cook and Mrs. smokeywolf is a truly great cook. Mrs. smokeywolf made juevos rancheros for breakfast this morning. This evening I grilled shrimp that I had marinated in a mixture of olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, grapefruit juice, sesame oil and cayenne pepper. I subsequently smoked a chicken, beer can style, which came out so good all that's left is a leg. Mesquite charcoal and Cherry wood is so good for poultry. Mrs. smokeywolf made Japanese rice (white and sticky) in our super deluxe rice cooker and dinner was spectacular.

When I had more time on my hands I used to make my own guacamole. Hard to get enough of the stuff. Mix it with salsa and dip chips or taquitos in it.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned

Wife will never eat grits. I love southern cooking and seafood is my downfall. She will not eat an oyster either but will buy them for me. Crayfish by the pile.
    She will eat fish, shrimp and crabs. But not scampy, garlic you know.
    She is a good cook but gets real boring with the same stuff all the time. She has a million cookbooks but never varies at all. I got to hate fried hot dogs in onions.
    She will fry maple breakfast sausage with spaghetti, NO, it does not fit. Meat for spaghetti should be made in the sauce and not sweet. I will eat the sausage with eggs but the conflict with sauce is out of here. Even the smell makes the main dinner taste funny.
    She did make chicken paprikash to die for and makes the best slaw ever. Best tater salad on earth.
    Makes great pork chops and stuffed cabbage.
    It is the in between stuff that tires me out. We have a good grill, why boil hot dogs or fry sausage. She has never gone near the grill.

Banned

don't agee with you there. REAL spaghetti has to have sausage meat balls in it. I make my own Italian sausage out of pork and venison. Hamburg can be added but only mashed up and surely not in meat balls. Now I wouldn't use maple breakfast sausage but im not a fan of maple in any sausage. In my opinion too sausage needs to be fried. The browning of the fat in it brings out the flavor. My meat balls will be fried till about half way cooked and then added to the sauce (in the morning) Personaly I also like to throw in some peperoni too. It gives it a bit more bite.

Had to laugh one day though. We had an old (in his 90s) Italian that lived by us when I was a teenager. He used to eat at our house often as my parents worried he wasn't eating right. He absolutely refused to eat tomato based spegetti sause. He said that was an American invention not Italian. He said spegetti is proper if its just mixed with real butter and garlic. He said if you like tomatoes use a bit of stewed tomato surely not sauce. to this day I have to have an artery busting meal of garlic, butter, noodles and some shrimp and scallops. If it was healthy id probably eat it once a week. Funny thing is this old Italian wouldn't drink milk either. He about thought it was poison. He drank wine with every meal. The old bugger at 90 even stomped his own grapes. Worked for him I guess because he lived to his mid 90s. Doubt ill make it that far.

Funny how peoples tastes are different. Youd have to hold me down to get me to eat another hot dog. Trash food in my opinion. Now a good brat is a different story. Same with rice. I ate so much of it in the service that if I never saw another grain of rice in my life id be a happy camper. Now this yankee will eat some grits though.

Banned

I love rice but it will be loaded with butter and sour cream, same with a baked tater.
    Italian sausage fits with sauce but not maple breakfast sausage. Meat balls work.
    I grew up in an Italian neighborhood and all made their own sauce, tomato based and it cooked all day. A sin to open a jar of sauce. Can't have enough garlic either. All used plum maters.
    Used to be an Italian bakery a few doors down, mother would give me a few cents to get a square of pizza, real sauce and I ate it cold. No toppings, just sauce and cheese. Today's pizza is a crime.
    Across the street was a huge Italian store with all the sausage hanging and every cheese. The smell was unreal.

Boolit Master
    Mom was a Southern girl. We ate grits at least once a month at breakfast.

I learned to make sauce from Dad's mom. She learned from her mom who came from Naples. Tomato based, lots of Italian sausage (not sweet), lots of garlic, oregano, basil, fennel seed, touch of olive oil and simmer all day. Mrs. smokeywolf uses my spaghetti sauce when she makes pizza.

In spite of eating a lot of high cholesterol foods, the French suffer from far less coronary artery disease than we do. This called "the French paradox". It is believed that this is due to their practice of drinking wine with at least two meals per day. In the Southwest of France, an area known as the Gers region, a wine called Madiran is vinted, which is particularly high in antioxidants (procyanidins and polyphenols). This region has the distinction of having the greatest population of males who continue to live active normal lives into their 90s.

I drink wine nearly every day and on days when I make a batch of spaghetti sauce I drink Malbec (a dry red) almost all day long.

This is a pretty good webpage on the subject. http://winefolly.com/update/french-paradox-diet/
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned

Wine in blood dissolves the fat. My easy way to have a drink without worry!

Boolit Grand Master
    I know what you guys mean there are some thing ya just got to do yourself,
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

Can I come over?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast