RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: 32 Special: Iis it a candidate?

Boolit Master

32 Special: Iis it a candidate?

FYI: 32 Special Winchester 94 carbine.
    Anyone have any experience in paper patching the old 32 for the above rifle? (results?)

I actually have a couple 32 Special Winchesters and prefer (not) to buy a Lee Push-Thru die just to experiment with. If the 32 paper patched cast has a history of being troubled in a bore having a 1-16 twist. thanks, for any & all comments,

Thanks for the question, I've often wonder if I could do that also. I hope someone with experience will have an answer.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

I don't have a Win 94, but it sure works well in my 1958 Marlin 336. Using RCBS 32-170 or SAECO 305, sized to .314 and patched up to .325" with green bar paper. No resizing of the cartridge cases, don't even own dies for it. Bullets are a nice slip fit in the case. Load is 4 gr. IMR4227 + 30 or so (all that fits to set seating depth) WC860. Very accurate, and approximates factory ballistics and pressures.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Just thinking out loud hear:
    I already have the WC860 from a previous use in 30-30. (GREAT powder for 30-30 patching) And near a full can IMR-4227. Only one mold do I have for my 32s and I think its a good candidate for the purpose. Lyman 311297. All I needed was a starting point concerning my casts under-bore resizings. (.314) Got that info now too from Nobade ~{he's the man!!}~~ Huh~~~If this Win 32 chamber & bore is typical when compared to Marlins in the same cal.. My Win bore may require a additional 1 perhaps 1-1/2- thousands in its overall patch boolit size do to a Marlins snug micro groove rifling? _ Yep its time. Hello Buckshot for a new Lee push thru. .315 I thinking since Lee already makes a .314. Got generous supply of green bar from a fellow C/B member.___ "Hey hey hey I'm in good shape."

There you go minmax. Got some good advice on how to paper patch a 32 Spec. I hope it helped you out.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had a 32 Remington a sibling like cousin to the 32 Winchester that shoots a PB naked bullet faster and as well as jacketed .

The rifle in question wouldn't chamber .325 but .323 was good . It was made in 1934-35 in a M14 Rem slide action. The case dimensions may account for the Rem being faster than the jacketed data for the Winchester. This 1 would have need a .312-13 sizer.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Just correcting a mistake. 321297 not 311297.

In Remembrance

For the past few years I have been occasionally reloading a box or two for a friend of a friend using Lyman 31141FP, 50/50, PP'd for his .32 Winchester Special '94. Absolutely no thanks nor feedback has reached me as to 'Does it work OK for you?', but no complaints and the empties keep getting returned, so.............!! I guess the deer(s) drop.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master
    311041s wrapped and shot thru a 32. That's a new one. I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

I would think the 32 Winchester Special would be an ideal candidate paper patching. It might not be necessary but worthwhile just the same. I would imagine it would produce top performance, surpassing jacketed loads (without increased pressure) if one had that leaning. If the bore is worn or corroded then it would be the answer. It would be a lot of fun! Advantages would be no case or neck sizing (or very little) and potentially long case life.

I would suggest a boolit with shallow and narrow grooves so as to keep it short for its weight. Easy to say when one really needs to use what we have on hand. I find that my Lee 311 180 boolit patches up just right for my 303 Brits. A slight adjustment of paper thickness to suite the throats sometimes. Unfortunately I have no range tests to back it up with. Well, I did shoot some out of my 'rust textured' two groove and they shot well out to about 40 yds then went haywire fast beyond that. That was using a tough tracing paper. I doubt your gun would stabilize a 180gr boolit or would it?

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-01-2015 at 04:57 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE I doubt your gun would stabilize a 180gr boolit or would it?QUOTE] The Lyman/Ideal 321297 mold I have casts a 181 gr G/C that shoots very well as is. (Non papered.) Also prefers (heavy/speedy) charges of powder for its best accuracy (in my win rifle.)
    I thought why not try patching it. Just needed to know how a patched 32 cast would behave in a 1-16 twist. And I too needed to know its undersize (squeezed too) measurement prior to its patching. (.314 Nobade replied works for his Marlin.) Which will do for a Winny too. Now I don't have to pound a lead cast of my rifles chamber. Just order up a Lee .314 push thru die lathe'ed up by Buckshot and I'm good to go.

If you have access to pin gauges, they are your best bet to check bore diameter. My rifle is right at .314", so a boolit sized to that dimension will not thumb press into the muzzle but can be forced. Perfect. The fact that my paper makes that fit exactly in a fired case is a bonus - brass should last pretty much forever since it never gets sized. Super easy rifle to get to work well with PP.

-Nobade

Boolit Man
    Nobade are you able to feed them from the magazine? Will .002 over my neck size hold them?

Yep, they work fine through the magazine. Not sure what you mean by the next sentence - do you mean .002 of neck tension? If so, there is no need. A nice slip fit hand seated works great and doesn't tear up the patch. Using the gunpowder like I do, the powder sets the seating depth so no neck tension needed.

-Nobade

I have found that with a thicker but more compressible paper (cheap printer paper) gives a good compression fit, meaning the paper compresses. I roll the patched boolit on my lube pad (with STP on it) then seat. I cannot measure neck expansion and there is no core compression but the paper compresses visibly. I have to use a bullet puller to get them out the necks. The STP soaks away leaving a good neck grip.

I am now looking forward to your test results.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Thanks everyone for their great ideas, unfortunately it will be awhile before I'll be able to try anything out.
    As I am in Michigan and my 32win spl is down in El Paso. I was hoping to get down there next Month but it looks like that is not going to happen.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Boolit Master
    I think the 32 should show pretty good results. Its not all that different than the 30-30. And I've been very pleased with my 30-30 accuracy being patched.
    Just a suggestion concerning brass neck tension to hold its boolit tighter. {So's to decrease the side to side movement.} I found knurling of the boolit between two single edge files works quite well. Honestly I haven't been convinced to this day the use of patch coatings help for such purpose. But too knurl. I found the process is best preformed on reduced factor BHN lead. Which certainly pleases me. I truly like seeing the accidental terminal performance of soft lead on wooden target holders.

Boolit Master
    After reading Habcan's comment over and over I felt the need too. "Why not give it a try and see for myself."_ I was totally surprised in finding that a 311041 Lyman (raw) cast can be paper patched up to .323 with Green Bar paper. Amazing!! >Thanks for the Tip Habcan.

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    After reading Habcan's comment over and over I felt the need too. "Why not give it a try and see for myself."_ I was totally surprised in finding that a 311041 Lyman (raw) cast can be paper patched up to .323 with Green Bar paper. Amazing!! >Thanks for the Tip Habcan.
    Is your #311041 big enough to engrave a little when pushed through the bore? Mine isn't, and that's why I use SAECO #305 for this. It's about the same thing, just with a .303" nose and .314" body.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Is your #311041 big enough to engrave a little when pushed through the bore? Mine isn't,
    Honestly I haven't tried pushing it thru. My experiment was just to mic the Lyman raw cast patched & fully dried overnight to see if it can be done. (measure .323) and by golly it did.
    Keep in mind Nobade I have a winchester here not a Marlin. As you and I both know there is a bit of difference in their rifling's. Your Marlins micro groove may not engrave the Lyman cast where as my Winchesters rifling just may. I'll check that out also.