RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&B Primers Any Good?

Boolit Master

S&B Primers Any Good?

Title says it all.

I hate S&B brass for sure.
    I was wondering if their primers suck too?

A local shop received a whole bunch of them and has sold off about 30k already and he said he hasn't received any bad reports back.

I've seen mixed reviews on forums most of which have little or no details on what the problems were.

So what do the gurus here think? Is anyone using them? Any issues with specific presses, priming systems or brass?

Thanks!

Boolit Bub
    I had bought 5000 s&b spp about a year ago and have had to relegate them to my hammer fired pistols. The striker fired guns did not like S&b primers. This was on 45acp, 357sig and 40sw, so the problem cant be pinpointed to a striker fired pistol with a weak spring. I hand prime all my cases so primer seating depth was not a factor. Yes they are 5-7bucks cheaper than USA made primers, but I personally
    just pass on them if Win of Fed are in stock.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    S&B sells lots of ammo and I have never had a problem with there primers or ammo. IMHO they are as good as any other brand of primers, I would not pass up a deal on them, I would not hesitate to buy 30K of them myself.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    I'm using S&B LP primers for 45 ACP (CZ97, 1911, G30)....I have not had a single issue. Graf's had a good price at the time.

S&B makes good primers. They wouldn't still be in business if they didn't, and they've been producing ammunition and components since the 1800's.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: Their brass doesn't "suck". It just takes a little different technique to prime them. It's good quality brass.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    S&B makes good primers. They wouldn't still be in business if they didn't, and they've been producing ammunition and components since the 1800's.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: Their brass doesn't "suck". It just takes a little different technique to prime them. It's good quality brass.
    Point well made. I guess their brass doesn't suck, just from all of my experience it doesn't work well in a progressive press with my current set up. I usually have to reseat the primers off press with a hand priming tool.
    Not bad for the low volume stuff but I do mostly pistol shooting and load up tons of ammo in a whack and blow through it quicker than I can load it. I think I'll grab a bring next time ($22) and see how they run.

Boolit Master

I've burned through many. I love them!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    I'm using S&B LP primers for 45 ACP (CZ97, 1911, G30)....I have not had a single issue. Graf's had a good price at the time.
    yep, When Grafs put them on sale for 99 bucks for 5000, i smoked a visa card.. the work well for me.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Lightbulb

Michael - name one US firearms company that has been in continuous business since 1786
    Next name one US firearms company that makes primers that matches this:
    In order to ensure the quality of the products of Sellier & Bellot, the company has introduced and implemented an effective quality management system. The system regularly undergoes the assessment of its conformity with the ISO 9001/2009 standard by a certification company. Sellier & Bellot JSC has held the certificate of conformity with the requirements of the mentioned standard for twelve years.
    So far and I shoot plenty of S&B primers - I have failed to have one not fire.
    Remingtons? Different story.
    Also, next time you wonder why your chronograph AV -ES & SD readings are all over the place - and you happen to be using Federal GM215M primers - open a box and see the number of primers that are not completely filled with the primer compound that effect ignition brisance!
    Ya sure, Federals are great primers!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Loaded and fired my first 100 S&B SP's last weekend, flawless ignition. All went bang just like they should and no FTF's or any other issues, I think I will be buying more!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Man
    I'm hoping their primers are good; I just committed to buying 5000 of 'em. As for their brass; I really like their 44 mag brass, although the pockets are a bit tight, sometimes too tight.

Boolit Master

I bought 5K of SP's a while back at Cabelas for $100. I checked a number of my standard loads which over the years have been loaded with Federal, CCI, Magtec and Wolf primers (I have data for all). Velocities, ES and SD are at the least equal to or in many cases better than the ones I mentioned.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I just picked up some small $ large pistol S&B primers. The small worked great through my simi auto's with no problems. I will give the large pistols a try next week through the 45. This is my first time using these primers. ( Cabelas had these at a cheap price)

Boolit Mold
    The only problem I have with S&B primers is their packaging they tend to get upside down in the trays easily so when I load up the primer tray I have to flip about 20%. I have fired thousands of them flawlessly.

Boolit Bub
    like above, i have used them with no issue.

Banned
    I've shot a couple of thousand S&B primers without issue. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Boolit Master

Cabelas has them on sale now for 19.99/K. I just picked up another 5K yesterday and Cabelas gives vets a 5% discount which I was not aware of till yesterday. That made it $103. OTD for 5K with NY sales tax.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    I have found S&B primers to be just fine.

I am well into my 2nd thousand of L/R primers with no issues.

ukrifleman.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a thousand LR from Cabela's yesterday for $19.99. I do like their ammo so the primers should be fine.

Boolit Buddy

Have used 15 to 20 thousand in my Glock 35. Most where with stock striker setup. Last 1k has been with a 4 pound striker spring and a lightend striker. No issues loading in my 650

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast