Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: .250/.257 Cartridges to .25ACP/.25 Stevens Diameters from 5.7x28mm once fired brass.

Boolit Master
    Gar,
    I bought mine on-line from "McMaster-Carr" (my Local Address is 9630 Norwalk Blvd., Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670-2932 Telephone = 562-692-5911 and web address is = la.sales@mcmaster.com). They do have multiple locations though.

McMaster-Carr lists their Drill bushings in the 'hardened steel' category by Decimal size and by designations such as letter, number, fractions; but their Metric listings must be converted to "Imperial Decimal" number values by the Buyer.

The sizes i ordered are the following:
    .25" ID marked U 1/4, .257" ID marked U F, .2656" ID marked U 17/64, .272" ID marked U J, .277" ID marked DB I, and .316" ID marked U O.

They do provide Custom sized Drill Bushings; but the prices are about $40-$60 range for the one I will be ordering for .246" or .247" diameter. Also, the custom order process requires ID, OD, Length and the Tolerances on each dimension to be stated.

You may find some of your needs are listed as undersize or oversize ID bushings also.
    They also have unhardened 'finish yourself' bushings so you could work them to the exact size you need and then Heat treat them.

By the way, have you done any more with your .25 Stevens experiments?

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-09-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    Oops! Double Posted the above info.
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-12-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Thank you,
    haven't done any work on the .25 Stevens in over a year.

I really need to finish up several projects around the homestead before I can get back to playing with the guns.

The 5.7x28 conversion was looking good. All I need to do is make a new extractor for one of the Stevens Rifle and I think I'll be good to go.

I'll check out McMaster-Carr, the Custom Sized bushings will work for oddball sizes I need and I've got an electric Kiln to do the hardening.

Will let you know how it goes when I can get back to it.

Thanks again,
    Gar
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Boolit Master
    The Hardened Steel Drill Bushings I purchased are a nominal Outside Diameter of .500" and most are of nominal .500" height.

I tried making a die body to hold the one of .277" Internal diameter but my attempt ended with a 'push Fit' rather than a 'Hard Press'. or 'Shrink'. Fit and would hold the bushing to swage a case but come out with the case when I tried to extract the formed case.

I also note the Bushings have a Entry end, with a smooth radius to the mouth, and an Exit end, with a very small radius at the ID.
    This Presents me with two possible uses for the Bushings:
    1. With large radius on the Insertion position in my die body it swages the small oversize base to near ID equal diameter.
    2. With the small radius on the Insertion position in my die body it shears the oversize base to about ID equal diameter; with the sheared material as a fine ring to be removed by later hand operation.

This illustrates to me a way to get my Formed 5.7x28mm or .22 Hornet swaged down cases to final base diameter matching my desires.

Due to my Carbide ring dies having a Radius and tapered entry to the Final zone of sizing, my formed cases have a tapered portion of the base that is about .280"-.282" Diameter at is the largest, just ahead of the Extractor Clearance Cuts.

Using this Bushing in the 'Shearing' position as a final sizing step would result in my cases being straight cylinders; rather than having short tapered bases.

Now to find a .499" diameter reamer to cut a tighter Seat for Bushings.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-12-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Correct typing errors.

Boolit Master
    Yesterday evening I had a chance to use my Friends' Special Effects Shop Lathe to Re-machine the first Die body and Machine a second die body blank for a longer, .250" ID Drill bushing.

The work was tested this morning and was Successful in both cases!

The .277" Drill bushing is now Solidly held for both the shearing operation and for extracting the finished case parent.

The .250" ID x 1.375" long x .500" OD drill bushing is mounted and accepts a formed .22CCM case smoothly and with easy extraction all the way to its Rim top.

The .25 Wildcat parent cases now measure .2768" OD at the sheared area. The sheared ring of waste is easily removed by finger manipulation over the Body of the case.

This seems to be an improvement in time to form a Parent case as at least one set of Turning operations are replacedby this shearing and waste removal operation.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-12-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Correct typing errors.

Boolit Master
    My Progress Report on alternative last step in case forming experiments:
    Good And bad! Yea and Drat.

The Good: NOE Finished my two Molds and I have them in my Possession; Both are four cavity Aluminum:
    = First one is for the 50 grain Ranch Dog TL255-50-RF Design;
    = Second one is for the 65 grain Ranch Dog TL255-65-RF Design.
    Al at NOE designed the cutting tool to be able to make both size bullet molds so tooling cost was spread over the Full Group buy of TL255 Molds.

So now anyone Desiring a copy of the mold can order it without having a Tooling Charge for it; Just The Wait for production scheduling.

The Bad: The First of the two Lee "Oversize" carbide ring Sizing dies that I ordered to size to SAAMI .25ACP Maximum Case Diameter has FAILED due to the Carbide Ring Shattering after 100 cases were swaged to its diameter.
    The second is sizing slightly OVER SAMMI maximum diameter for the .25ACP case.

I believe the Failure was my fault as I may have maladjusted the die and caused the failure from the rim of a parent case over stressing the carbide.

But now I need to order another "Oversize" one from Lee Precision.

The Nice: I have tried out a .277" ID Drill Bushing for a "Shearing" last step in my forming instead of a "Turning operation(s)" step.

100 Cases of 5.7x28mm FN that had been Swaged down to ~.277" body diameter with a short tapered section near the Base and not yet turned down were pushed into the Drill bushing mounted in a used die body and Successfully came out ~.277" diameter from Mouth to Extractor Clearance Cut (ECC) just above the rim.

The base for about .070" above the ECC down to the top of the ECC showed clean Brass devoid of the Polymer coating. There was a Thin, fine, ring of sheared Brass and Polymer sitting in the ECC that was removed by finger manipulation.

These were the cases final Swage formed by The die that failed on the 101st case when I began the set up for the second 100 case box of formed cases.

Now to wait for Funds (next monthly Social Security Direct Deposit) Other Home/Personal Problems intruded, so the planned ?order has been delayed a Long time. Added 20190412 Chev. William.

NOTE: These reformed 5.7x28mm Cases are parent stock for ~.278" body diameter Wildcat cartridges (.25ALRM, .25ALS, .25MACP, .25ALR).

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-12-2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Correct typing errors and add note in Bold face type.

Boolit Master
    Sigh, it is now half Past April 2019 and I have still not gotten back to this wildcat project!
    A relatively Cold, Wet, And Windy Winter here in Southern California was Mirrored by even worse weather for the rest of The Nation.
    Since my 'Shop' is on my Northeastern exposed Patio and is not enclosed, the weather precluded any work for the winter.

Well. Spring is finally coming here and the temperatures have risen, the rainstorms abated, but the Wind is still with us here in Southern California.

Added to that, California Politics have imposed added Taxes and Fees without any Visible benefits to the Taxpaying citizens. Raises Imposed supposedly to pay for improved roads and Bridges seem to have been diverted 'for other purposes', just like previous tax funds from Bills tah talso included the Phrase "and For Other Purposes" buried deep in their text.

California Voters Are Repeatedly 'fed a Batch of 'Bull***' ' about this or that needing new, or more, Tax Revenue to improve 'it'; but never does the Money get to the up front stated Project or Need.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-12-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234