Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .250/.257 Cartridges to .25ACP/.25 Stevens Diameters from 5.7x28mm once fired brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    Completed Neck expansion of 800 Hornet cases to .250" size. Now to Get them reformed to .276 body diameter, then Trim for the various lengths.

Now have 400 of the 5.7x28mm expanded in the Neck/shoulder to .250" nominal and 600 to go.
    Current projects are:
    1. Lathe cutting the 'Brass Roll' off the Formed Hornet Brass.
    (Delayed as My friend's Lathe is not available at the time, being used for other Projects.)

2. Reform the 5.7x27 expanded neck cases to 6.35x32mm sizes.
    (Done, and an additional 200 Started into the Process.)

3. Continue neck/shoulder expansion of the Remaining 5.7x28mm cases.
    (Added another Batch of 1000 5.7x28mm cases to my "hoard", now over 2000 Cases on hand.)

4. Continue refroming the 5.7x28mm into 6.35x32mmSR.
    (Yes, it is a continuing Project and Process while waiting for two Custom Lee Dies to arrive: one a Longer Seating only die to ease guiding the Cartridge and bullet in for Seating to a Known Overall Cartridge Length; and the other a intermediate Step Forming die, in .284" diameter, to try to equalize the Forming steps and forces.)

In the Mean Time, The "6.35x28.6mmSR Stewart" Cartridge is now Listed in the Ammoguide Cartridge Master data base as their number 958 entry. The Diagram will need 'Tweaking' as it is 'too Simplified' in my opinion. the Case Base has an Extractor Clearance Groove the same as the 5.7x28mm parent and the Forming leaves a short tapered area just above the Base, shown on the diagram for the "6.35x32mmSR Stewart" case which this one is a Shortened version of. This "base taper" is a result of Forming die Geometry and is present on all formed Cases of this series.

These are 'Keeping me out of Trouble' during the Local Hot and Cold spells, interspersed with Rain/Thunderstorms and Windy times. Also Had a total of Six days over Two weeks Work Calls through my Union dispatcher to keep me Busy. The 'Take Home Pay' is Very Useful for paying my Bills and as 'Discretionary Spending funds' in my 'retirement'.

Best Regards,
    Chev. Willaim
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-09-2015 at 01:05 AM.

Boolit Master
    !. My friend's lathe is still tied up on 'money making' projects.

2. Resizing progress nil due to Work Calls (Yea!) then a Freeway accident (Boo!).

3. On Hold, see Above Reason.

4. On Hold, See Above Reason.

A Separate project, converting a Used Ruger .22 Cal Single Six to multiple cartridges base upon .25ACP/6.35 Browning Barrel and bullet dimensions has been started, See the separate Thread on this.

My Stevens Model 44 Action Conversion to CF and fitting with a Stainless Steel Free floating barrel (take off .308) chambered for .32 Long Colt is making Progress at my gunsmith's. he is at the point of Cutting the New extractor to fit the Cartridge base and rim.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-04-2016 at 01:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    1. My friend's lathe is still tied up on 'money making' projects.

2. Resizing progress nil due to Work Calls (Yea!) then a Freeway accident (Boo!).

3. On Hold, see Above Reason.

4. On Hold, See Above Reason.

5. A Separate project, converting a Used Ruger .22 Cal Single Six to multiple cartridges base upon .25ACP/6.35 Browning Barrel and bullet dimensions has been started, See the separate Thread on this.

6. My Stevens Model 44 Action Conversion to CF and fitting with a Stainless Steel Free floating barrel (take off .308) chambered for .32 Long Colt is making Progress at my gunsmith's. he is at the point of Cutting the New extractor to fit the Cartridge base and rim.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Re:
    2. Now Hampered by Cold, windy, and Rainy weather that makes working on my Back patio too miserable.
    3.; 4. Same problem as above.
    5.; 6. My Gunsmith says he will not be getting to my "projects" until after the New Year so no "Christmas Toys" this year for me.

I did receive the Lee custom case resizing die opened to .284" to try out on resizing 5.7x28mm cases when the Back Patio becomes 'habitable' again.
    I also received the Lee custom lengthened Seating Die to try on "6.35x32mmSR" cartridge loading but I fear it is too Deep to allow seating bullets in the "6.35x28.6mmSR" cartridge.
    Perhaps a slight Shortening of the Die or rework to the Seating punch will allow it to do "double duty".
    The New bullet seating 'punch' is designed to seat Spire Soft Point bullets without damaging or distorting the Tips. Perhaps reducing the OD of this punch slightly for a short distance will allow it to 'drop further in to the Seating Die body and allow seating bullets on the shorter Cases/Cartridges.

Something to try when my Friend's Lathe is available.

May All Have a Safe and Very Merry Christmas,
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Long Frustrating time here. My Friend is still busy so I cannot use his lathe, and now my gunsmith says he has stopped accepting new 'projects' as he has over a Year's Backlog now. My Projects are caught up in this now, so all I can do is wait.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Mold
    I now have 90 "6.35x28.6mmSR" cases Trimmed and burrs removed. Still need to "bell" the Mouths before starting loading Process. This is out of a Random batch of "6.35x32mmSR" as I had ten that measured close to maximum length of the 32mm design that I did not Trim down. Debating with myself to go through another 50 of the 32mm cases to find ten that measure 'short' to use as Candidates to fill out my 28.6mm Lot. royal1688

Boolit Master
    Very good way to do your 'sorting' to decide which ones to 'shorten ' for the 6.35x28.6mmSR use. Same way I have been 'sorting' of late. This Does Save Trimming Time as there is less Brass to be removed to bring the Cases to correct Length for the '6.35x28.6mmSR' cartridge use.

I use a Lee "universal Expander Die" when I Bell Case mouths; but don't overdo the 'Bell' as it will shorten case life if overdone.

Post Your Progress please.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Received an Email from Lee Precision, Inc. telling me they are currently 'out of Stock' of .25ACP Sizing dies and do not expect to produce more for about Seven Months!
    OUCH!
    Lee also Canceled my order for another "Opened" Sizing Die due to the 'out of Stock' Status.
    Seems like the 'Demand' for .25ACP Carbide ring Sizing dies overran their Stock on Hand. Sound like others are Also Interested in these "MildCat" projects.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-04-2016 at 01:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    As of Sunday April 2nd I am waiting on several things to happen:
    1. Lee to produce more .25ACP Carbide ring sizing dies.
    2. PT&G to finish my reamer orders, probably sometime in May.
    3. My gunsmith to get My Blued Barrel back and assemble my Customized Ruger Convertable Single Six in Center fire and .25ACP/.6.35x28.6mmSR/6.35x32mmSR (OAL of !.395" for Revolver).
    4. My gunsmith to finish my Stevens Model 44 Center fire conversion.

In the interim, I had a "Work Call" from my Union Dispatcher for a 'Ritter fan Operator' at Paramount Studios starting 1500 March 24th. It ended Friday April 1st at 2200 for over 90 hours worked in 8 (of 9) days of variable start and end times. Tiring, but the pay will help my finances for the Year.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the Links, Skeettx.

The first one is similar to the Price for just The Sizer Die from Lee.
    My Problem is Lee is Not Planning a Production run of .25ACP Sizer Dies, and therefore having the Tooling in place to "Open" the carbide Sizer Dies to custom diameters, for several more months.

I may go ahead and buy one or more sets now though, depending upon my "remaining Discretionary Spending funds" this month.
    I do need to keep money in 'reserve' to pay my gunsmith when he completes one or more of my "projects" he is working on.

That ~$29.00 price does look Tempting.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 06-12-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Today I took the "plunge" and proposed a third "Mildcat" cartridge for inclusion in the "Ammoguide Cartridge Master Data Base".

This one is intended as a Larger diameter and harder hitting Center Fire Alternative for the .22WMR for use in Firearms converted to Center fire previously chambered for the .22WMR.

It WILL require barrel revisions / replacement as the Cartridge uses .250"-.251" Diameter bullets.

Case length is trimmed to 1.024", or up to 1.056", and they are Resized down to .276" diameter. Rims are specified as .050" thick and .314" diameter maximum, with the Extractor Clearance Cut similar to the 5.7x28MM Cartridge.

Overall Length is specified as 1.350" to match .22WMR overall length. This should simplify firearm conversions.

A 65 grain Round flat Nose bullet is intended but lighter and heavier Bullets are possible within the Maximum Cartridge length. Twist rate is Specified at 1 turn in 9.8 inches to match the Available "Lothar Walther" (LW) .25ACP/6.35 Browning Barrel Blank specifications.
    The LW Blank is specified as being slightly over 1" diameter and about 23.6" Long so a rifle could be made from them.
    LW says their blanks can be made into barrels with only about .050" trimmed from the ends compared to others barrels that need 3/4" to 1" trimmed off.

For converted Revolvers and 'blow-back' semi-auto Pistols the loaded MAP probably should be limited to around the same as the .22WMR, or about 24,000psi or slightly higher.

for "Locked Breech" actions perhaps the limit may be the 40,000psi (as of Aug 2016 the SAAMI MAP is now 49,000psi) of parent .22 hornet, or the 50,000psi of the parent 5.7x28mm Cartridges. Careful Development is Indicated.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 08-06-2016 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Add info on Hornet SAAMI MAP

Boolit Master
    My "6.35x26mmSR/.25MACP" submission is on hold at Ammoguide Interactive until I can show a Chamber Reamer, and Fired cases from a Specific Chambered Barrel rather than fired from longer chambers. I think that is reasonable as it is applied to all "Wildcat" or "Mildcat" cartridges submitted.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

ADDED: as of June 1st 2016 The "6.35x26mmSR/.25 Magnum Auto" is now a Published design on "Ammoguide Interactive" website. Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 08-06-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Added note.

Boolit Master

Learning "QuickDESIGN" Software.

I am Learning to use "QuickDESIGN" software, a cartridge and bullet Design and documentation tool that is usable with "QuickLOAD" Ballistics software.

The Link below is for a Data Sheet on my idea of a "6.35x26mmSR" or ".25MACP" cartridge so readers can review it and comment.

25 MACP DATA DimSAAMI.pdf

Please let me know of any suggestions you may have on this cartridge design and documentation.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I now have my "customized" Ruger 'Single Six' .22 Cal Revolver reworked with an offset firing pin bushing and firing pin, a new 'hand' and the first of my revised 8 shot cylinders, this oen is in ".25ACP".

I contemplate some Enjoyable 'Range time' soon.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    As of June 1st my third "Mildcat" cartridge is listed as entry number 971 in the "Ammoguide Interactive 'Cartridge Master Data Base' and a 63 grain Lead FP Load is listed for the .25ACP for use in my Ruger Revolver as it is outside the 'tuning' of the majority of Semi-Automatic .25ACP pistols.

In my Custom Ruger Single Eight Revolver it seems to shoot to the same "Point of Aim" as factory loads for a 7 yard distance to target. More recoil and muzzle noise too.
    I also am working a 52 grain Lead RFN load using 3.1 grains of BE-86 Propellant in PPU .25ACP cases and an overall length of 0.900"+0.006"/-0.003", which works in my Revolver but would be too 'robust' for Blow-Back Actions.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 07-18-2016 at 07:24 PM. Reason: corrections.

Boolit Master
    A "QuickLOAD" potential recipe:
    63 grain Lead FP "Hunters Supply" 25 CAL bullet Tumble Lubed and Sized .251".
    1.8 Grains of Bullseye.
    Cartridge OAL =.905"; Bullet seating depth .242"; in a PPU .25ACP case; .612" Case Length.
    WSP primers.
    Fired in a Ruger Single Eight with a 10-5/8" barrel (equivalent to about 12" breech face to muzzle length).
    CALCULATED DATA:
    Using 25,000psi as MAP limit.
    Peak Pressure = 24,405psi @ 0.18" bullet travel.
    Bullet Seating depth = 0.242".
    Loading Ratio of Charge = 80.3%
    Muzzle Exit Velocity = 1194fps; Muzzle Exit energy = 200ft-lbs.
    Muzzle exit Pressure = 1028psi; Propellant Burnt = 99.8%; Ballistic Efficiency = 45%.

Seems like an Interesting Result. Low enough velocity that Leading of barrel should not be a problem. Good energy at Muzzle so should hold it out to at least 50 yards and possibly out to 100 yards. Propellant looks like it is burnt mostly before the bullet leaves the case mouth, with some still burning in the cylinder Throat and Barrel.

This is NOT a recipe for a Semi-auto pistol with a 2" barrel!

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 07-18-2016 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Corrections, add warning note

Boolit Master
    Still working on Putting together a Portable Chronograph that will be usable by a Cane using person on a Commercial Shooting Range.

I currently have a "Gifted" Super Chrony F1 Master Chronograph which has a 1 foot Measuring Base when unfolded and set up, a Used Super Chrony Printer to attach to the F1 Crony, and a 'Heavy Duty' Camera Tripod rated for up to 8 lb cameras.
    I still need to come up with a way of transporting Them From Vehicle to shooting Position and back again in a Convenient group.

Does anyone know "QuickLOAD" software well enough to tell me where in the Manual it tells me how to increase the PRINTED Resolution of Loadlist propellant charges? I did set the resolution on "High" but the Printout still only shows charge weights rounded to the nearest 0.1 Grain weight. I need to hand annotate to get the resolution to 0.01 grain that the Program displays on my monitor.
    I need this because 2% steps of a 1.8 to 3.0 grain charge does require at least 0.01 grain printout to be valid for use.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I now have Two completed Cylinders for my Ruger Single Eight in ".25ACP"!
    The first one is the .25ACP chambered one.
    Second and third are still in the Works.
    The Forth is the Fully Chambered cylinder in ".250ALRM"/"6.35x32mmSR Stewart".
    This one started life as a 'hybrid' with only one chamber Reamed to take the .250ALRM of 1.250 nominal case length if loaded to less than 1.405" OAL to function within the 1.415" cylinder Length at the Chambers. My gunsmith evened the Reaming of all Eight chambers and ended up with them all allowing a Max case length of 1.260" to allow for possible case growth on firing.

Right side of Ruger Single Eight in 25ACP with cylinder dismounted.
    Left Cylinder is in .25ACP/6.35 Browning. Right Cylinder is in .250ALRM/6.35x32mmSR.

Bst Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    July has Been 'Famine' followed by a Short 'Feast' with the Month ending in 6 week days of Work at 9 to 11 hours A day, in Spite of The Hot weather. The Bad part - No time to work with, or on, My 'home Projects'. The Good part - Two Paychecks will be a help with my Finances. And I have a possible third Paycheck due as I am to be working the Same Job the 1st of August.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

ADDED: The Job Lasted until August 3rd, so I Will be getting a third Paycheck. Used The First Two to pay off Outstanding Bills so I have a Small cushion until next Thursday when I can Pick up the Third Paycheck.
    I Still Have a LA-DWP Utility Bill to worry about due to the High Heat running up the Water/Sewer and Electricity Charges (A small Window Air conditioner Runs if temps get Hot to keep my two dogs safe during hot Weather and I do Water to try to keep my Shrubs And Trees Alive through The Drought and Hot Weather: i have one Pine tree that Was Planted after Christmas of 1955, the Year we moved into our home). The Last two month Bill was over $1200.00! Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 08-06-2016 at 12:00 PM.

Boolit Mold

.25 magnum auto

Chev,Congratulations on your new .25 Auto mag,I admire your persistence. When you get enough finances you will have to have your gunsmith convert a 45 auto to 25 auto, sounds great for cheap target shooting. Keep up the good work. Also it sounds like you need one of the small mini lathes a 10X12 would be just right for you. I enjoy reading your posts.PaPa2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast