Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Tru-Line Jr. questions

Boolit Man

Tru-Line Jr. questions

Would like to know the production period for the Tru-Line Jr. Press, and also when was the compound linkage introduced?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks, and best regards,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

Boolit Master
    The most authoritative source I've read has circa 1947-1949 as the date for the introduction of the Tru-Line Jr.,with the compound linkage coming out in 1957 and the press discontinued around 1971.

bhn22
    That matches the information I have as well. Lyman was never very good about keeping exact product introduction dates on anything. Their information lists the Tru-Line Jr as being originally introduced "after WWII". I think they simply viewed reloading tools as "tools". And nobody cares when their hammer or saw was introduced. Just a guess.

Boolit Man
    Gentlemen,

Thanks for the information. My primary interest is in the 310 tools, but was curious about the Tru-Line Jr.

Best regards,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

Boolit Grand Master
    What Cheer, as I'm sure you already know, the 310 Tool is a more or less direct descendent of the Ideal #3 & #10 which themselves descended from the old Bartlett-made line of tong tools dating back to the late 19th Century. I think the TruLine Jr press (which bears a great resemblance to the pre-War Red Head press) was Lyman's effort to get into the new-fangled craze of using bench-mounted presses instead of handheld tong tools (without as much retooling as a larger press would require.) So doing would also guard the investment of the customer, which would have endeared Lyman to them further. This is JMHO, but it fits.

As I gather up my Lyman & Ideal tools, I tend to keep an eye on the idea of making my "sets" of dies available for and usable with both types of tools as needed, and try to acquire such a set for each revolver and slow firing long gun I get... no M-1s or M-16s get loaded this way, of course. This is just the result of one man's idiosyncracies, but so far it works pretty well for me!

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

To reinforce bent's statement on year change --
    1956 stoeger shows single link press -
    1960 stoeger show compound link press -

I also think froggie is correct in his conclusion about lyman's continuing support of the "5/8" dies --
    In 56 lyman still was not selling 7/8" dies with the exception of the EZ-loader full length die -
    This was still not a standard die as it was inserted into the press from the bottom,
    an upside down die as it were.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Kind of odd when you think about it........Ideal was one of the first producers of readily available reloading gear and still stuck to their older designs long after the rest of the market was switching to more modern stuff. It was almost a "Johnny come lately" event when they finally started to offer 7/8" dies.

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    Kind of odd when you think about it........Ideal was one of the first producers of readily available reloading gear and still stuck to their older designs long after the rest of the market was switching to more modern stuff. It was almost a "Johnny come lately" event when they finally started to offer 7/8" dies.
    Well the 7/8" dies were a Pacific innovation introduced in 1930. This is when all reloading tool makers that their own notions of how to "get er done". From 1941 to 1945 production ceased due to the war effort. Following the war, reloading tools makers took a year or two to get back in the market and upgraded or changed their products while at it. Lyman did add 7/8" die after the war, but continued to use their handtool ( Nos. 1 and 3) dies as a platform as well. The Tru-Line Jr. offered a bench mounted press for those who were into the smaller dies and wanted to continue their use.

The Tru-Line Jr. with the compound linkage still is a good useful tool for smaller handgun rounds. I think their utility ends with 45 ACP and 44 Special. They are at their best with the 38/357. I keep one set up for 38 Special and like it allot.

The Lyman All American turret was their beefier offering for 7/8" inch dies and is still a very good press.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Talking about the Tru-Line jr. Did it use a different shellholder for the 7,62x54 Russian as the 310 shellholder does not have enough space to fit properly?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick56 View Post
    Talking about the Tru-Line jr. Did it use a different shellholder for the 7,62x54 Russian as the 310 shellholder does not have enough space to fit properly?
    What I would do is look at the modern (X-type) Lyman shell holder for the 7.62 54 Russian then look for the same number in the old J-type. Alternatively, you could get a modern shell holder and the conversion parts to use it in your TL Jr... I believe there is a long enough throw on the TL Jr to do that.

Froggie

PS Just looked it up... it would appear that you need a #17, which is commonly available because it's the one used for the 45-70 as well.
    Last edited by Green Frog; 08-28-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, I have the modern shell holder and a RCBS set of 7/8 dies but I would like to have a small portable kit made using the Jr. I think the easiest way is to buy the conversion part. Lee says #16 for the Russian and #8 for 45-70 Govt. I got a Lyman 45-70 set of dies and the holder did not feel right, so I got a Lee #16.

Boolit Grand Master
    Patrick56, I just noticed your location... I have no idea what availabilities may be like in Finland, but I can say with a fair degree of surety that Lyman didn't make a set for it. However, since the 310 dies only act on the neck of the case being loaded, you may be able to do what you want with a set of 308/7.62 NATO dies or even the very common 30-06 dies. If the Lyman J-type shell holder will work for you (notice that the exact dimensions each manufacturer uses for shell holders can vary quite a bit) you could then make the whole thing work. You might have to chuck the dies up in a lathe and turn a little off the bottom of some of the dies or open them up a bit to accept the large case diameter of that big Russian case. What would be the likelihood of finding those parts in Finland?

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    Actually I have set of 310 dies for the 7,62x54R bought from the US. The problem is that the 310 shell holders outer diameter is too big for the Tru-Line jr. You are right, the 310 sets are not very common here and people who own one donīt want to part with them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick56 View Post
    Actually I have set of 310 dies for the 7,62x54R bought from the US. The problem is that the 310 shell holders outer diameter is too big for the Tru-Line jr. You are right, the 310 sets are not very common here and people who own one donīt want to part with them.
    On my chart of modern Lyman shell holders, the 7.62 X 54R calls for the #17 (the same as the 45-70.) I don't have a 7.62 rimmed round to try, but if you can get a #17 J-type shell holder to try, that will be the way to go. I know for a fact that this shell holder fits the TL Jr press since I use one on one of mine. Let me know if you have difficulties finding one there as they are pretty easy to get here.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

Technically the 310 tool does not use shell holders. The TrueLine Jr uses J type shell holders, and Lyman makes a J type adapter to use X type (RCBS type) shell holders. What exactly do you have that does not fit your Jr.?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Older charts seem to infer #16 for 7,62 Russian.
    I have a new #16 shell holder for Tru Line Jr.
    Rim is too big for the #16.(Russian surplus & new Lapua)
    Don't have a #17 to try it on but notes had #16 w/double stars and note at bottom states #17 for 7,62 Russian.
    An independent cross reference chart I have has Lee #16, RCBS #13 and Lyman #17 are usable for 7,62x54R.
    As Wayne stated, a holder is available to use regular shell holders.
    I think it requires a special primer 'Special T' sold with both large and small primer cups.
    Per Wayne's post the old part # was 7095763.
    I found it using my googlefoo keys.
    #7095762 is shell holder adapter.
    Last edited by kywoodwrkr; 09-02-2015 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Additional data added

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a "special T" primer setter directly from Lyman and it isn't. They said they are not making them any more. Why they had it listed and packaged that way is anyone's guess. I started collecting J type shell holders.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    I went to a little gun show with a big flea market yesterday and found a vendor with some odd (for the US anyway) ammo. I purchased a sample round of 7.62 X 54R from him for the princely sum of $1 and can now state unequivocally that this round can be loaded using a Lyman J-17 shell holder. The rim is a little thinner than the rim of a 45-70 so there is some up-and-down play observable, but that shouldn't hurt anything. The base diameter of the case is close enough that it enters freely but is not too loose. Since this is the same shell holder number they list for the X series now, you could use one of those along with the J to X converter and the Special-T Priming Punch and will also be OK. If you are unable to get what you need in Sweden, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can find here for you... these parts should be readily available.

Froggie