Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: .380 ACP From ?

Boolit Master

.380 ACP From ?

Here's an interesting conversion which almost works. Just playing around in the reloading room and found that the base of a .223/5.56 case is pretty much the same as a .380 ACP base. I cut a few .223 cases down, trimmed them to .380 ACP length and ran them through a FL resizer. Well it almost works except the case wall of the converted brass is around 20 thousands thick at the neck which caused all types of chambering problems with the dummy rounds I put together. Didn't measure the volumn of the converted cases but I'll bet they are a lot smaller than true .380 ACP cases. Oh well, maybe they will be good for shot shell development.

Boolit Master
    I would imagine one could run a reamer into the shell, as is done converting 30/06 into 45 Super shells.

Boolit Buddy
    If you had a lathe I'm sure it could be done

Boolit Master

I tried it a couple years ago and ran into the chambering problems also.Unless I run out of 380 brass and cain't find 380 brass the troubles you run into isn't worth the time spent correcting the problems.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    I agree, it's not worth it converting the brass over even with a micro lathe. The biggest difference between the two is down by the base where the rifle brass curves into the center while the pistol brass has more of a 90 degree angle. Couldn't seat a bullet very deep in the converted case, the brass gets thicker the closer to the base you get. Also the volumn of the case is a lot smaller than a regular .380 ACP.

Banned
    Easiest conversion for .380 (9mm Browning short) is to cut down 9mm Browning Long. Since it has been unobtainable for the last 50-70 years, the second easiest conversion is to convert cash into .380 brass.

Boolit Master
    Yeah you would think since it's a 9mm short and uses the same diameter bullets as a 9x19 that you could trim down 9x19 to make them. Not so eh? I never really looked at them but do know they use different shell holders.

Yep. Different case head. With as many 380s that I had to weed out of my 9mm's I thought I would have noticed.

Motor
    Last edited by Motor; 07-31-2015 at 12:33 AM.

So far when it comes to .380 brass I hope Charley's way keeps working for me. So far, my failure rate is quite small. Ha. Ha. I just need some empty .380 ammo boxes.

Roy
    Hooker53

Quote Originally Posted by Charley View Post
    Easiest conversion for .380 (9mm Browning short) is to cut down 9mm Browning Long. Since it has been unobtainable for the last 50-70 years, the second easiest conversion is to convert cash into .380 brass.

This has been a very informative thread. I just found and ordered some Imperial from a great seller on Epay. Good seller and great shipping.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master
    I gave converting 9mm into .380 a try also. Had to trim the base down, recut the extractor grove and then trim the case down to length. Needing to trim both ends of a case made it labor intensive, it's better just to buy the brass.

Boolit Master

Best way it to go here
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Reloading-S...ords=380+brass

As said before convert copper(cash) into brass

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 08-01-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned
    Sometimes its just cheaper to buy them once fired. When you consider the time its smarter to just buy them.

Boolit Master
    Totally agree, buy them, don't convert them. It was a rainy afternoon and I had an itch that needed to be scratched.