Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Received a new Rifle - Air Arms TX-2200

Vendor Sponsor

Received a new Rifle - Air Arms TX-200 Mk3

Received a new Rifle - Air Arms TX-200 .177 to replace the borrowed tree rat rifle I had been using.

I need to scope it with something of equal quality and strength. I temporally mounted an older unused Bushnell 1.75 - 6 X scope I had in the mounts I bought from Pyramyd Air. The mounts are the strongest ones ( according to them) available for this rifle, and I am sure they are.

I have about 50-60 shots through the rifle and it is sighted in and the group size has coalesced from the first few shots which were a bit wild to keeping all on a one inch black paster dot used for an aim point. Shooting done prone at 25 yards.

I think I am detecting a bit of an impact creep downward. Maybe the scope is not holding up or maybe the scope is not holding in the mounts. All screws are tight but not overly tight. As of yet, I can not see any movement shift of the scope in the mounts. Nor is anything rattling.

I will just keep shooting and get a little more experience with it and then maybe consider a "springer" rated scope.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 07-28-2015 at 12:00 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

If you want to scope it you better consider a so called "springer" rated scope.

No idea what kind of scope mount you have but here is one of the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Instapark%C2%A.../dp/B001A7NGOO
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    been while since i had any springers. My experience......if the scope is not rated for spring air guns it will break before it even gets a chance to drift from zero!

your rifle should have provisions for scope stop pin. this will keep the scope rings from drifting
    Last edited by mac1911; 07-25-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    If you want to scope it you better consider a so called "springer" rated scope.

No idea what kind of scope mount you have but here is one of the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Instapark%C2%A.../dp/B001A7NGOO
    Yep, I did consider using a springer rated scope. In reading the info Bushnell puts out, they say their full line of scopes will handle springer rifles. So, I chose to risk the Bushnell scope I have. A email question to Burris regarding their scope line, specifically an older Signature series scope I own; they replied ALL there scopes would handle 'springer air rifles' as well.

I've read posts about these and others being wrecked so who knows. I am too new at high end air rifles to know what I am talking about aside from passing along what the manufactures say.
    I believe the scope mount Pyramyd Air sold me has to be a good one. I did not have a limit on money spent for the mount and asked for their best so I would not have to worry.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    been while since i had any springers. My experience......if the scope is not rated for spring air guns it will break before it even gets a chance to drift from zero!

your rifle should have provisions for scope stop pin. this will keep the scope rings from drifting
    mac1911 - Yes, thanks. The rifle and mount do have a pin system that arrests the mount travel fore and aft. No part of that pin system enters the scope, but I do not think you meant it did. Just the rifle receiver and scope-base pin together typically, correct?

Pyramyd Air sold me a one piece mount with wide double screw rings made for Beeman by British Sports Match in the UK. A bit pricy but looks well made.

I'll keep shooting and learning.

Thanks all, Michael
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Yep, I did consider using a springer rated scope. In reading the info Bushnell puts out, they say their full line of scopes will handle springer rifles. So, I chose to risk the Bushnell scope I have. A email question to Burris regarding their scope line, specifically an older Signature series scope I own; they replied ALL there scopes would handle 'springer air rifles' as well.

I've read posts about these and others being wrecked so who knows. I am too new at high end air rifles to know what I am talking about aside from passing along what the manufactures say.
    I believe the scope mount Pyramyd Air sold me has to be a good one. I did not have a limit on money spent for the mount and asked for their best so I would not have to worry.
    If in fact you bought one of their $60 one piece mounts for sure it's one of the best.

However it's now been copied by many, even by one U.S. manufacturer, and they perform in like fashion for much less. In other words, more value for money spent.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

My TX wore a non airgun rated Philippine Simmons scope and help up quite well. Its pretty neutral firing gun. The Older Leupold "vari-X II" series hold up to spring power air guns.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    I have a 30 year old Beeman Model 250 which I mounted a Weaver Marksman M 1"- 4X on when it was less than a month old. At the time I was unaware that springers would destroy standard scopes and when I found that out I was like oh well if the scope breaks I will shoot it open sights as I could not afford to replace the scope.

FYI The Beeman 250 kicks hard enough to give you a nice bruise. I did have to cross drill the weaver mount and install a roll pin to stop the scope mount from sliding under recoil.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master
    Not sure about the TX2200 but I just rec'd. a new TX200 and it is the "King of the Springers", with a beautiful walnut stock, and nice fishscale checkering. Best pellet to date is the JSB 8.4 gr. domes, I just can't shoot this beauty enough. Group size is not quite what my PCPs can do but the gun is new and needs breaking in, the lighter 7gr. JSBs were almost as good, some pointed pellets were awfull. If your gun has a similar barrel, you can save alot of time and money and just start with the JSBs.

Boolit Buddy
    The TX200 is an excellent air rifle (but I prefer the HW 77/97- less fiddly to operate). Out of the box it can win competition. With some modifications it can win international competition.

It shouldn’t break scopes too much as it is heavy and reasonably light on recoil. Bushnell scopes should be okay. Any movement is more likely to be the shooter or the power changing as excessive lubricant diesels off or it beds in. Give it a few tins of pellets and it should be capable of doing 1 hole groups at 50 yards . Spring air rifles are harder to shoot than most other guns. Use a light grip and don’t rest it directly on anything hard when you shoot it. Small changes to how you hold it will change the impact point.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Not sure about the TX2200 but I just rec'd. a new TX200 and it is the "King of the Springers", with a beautiful walnut stock, and nice fishscale checkering. Best pellet to date is the JSB 8.4 gr. domes, I just can't shoot this beauty enough. Group size is not quite what my PCPs can do but the gun is new and needs breaking in, the lighter 7gr. JSBs were almost as good, some pointed pellets were awfull. If your gun has a similar barrel, you can save alot of time and money and just start with the JSBs.
    Oooops! Your right, I got too many zeros in the model number. TX-200 is correct. I have some Beeman FTS pellets which were very accurate in the rifle I was loaned. I have started with those and they are at least, very good.
    Pyramyd Air also recommended JSB EXACT Heavy Diabolo 10.34gr. as being a likely accurate pellet in this AirArms TX-220. (HA! got it right this time!) I don't mind trying different ones and having the fun of sorting them out.

Black Beard - I will take your advice and just shoot it and learn to shoot it accurately while it breaks in. Q. - Do you mean -One hole groups at 50 yards? or 50 feet?
    One hole groups at 50 yards in still air would indeed be a very accurate rifle!
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 07-28-2015 at 12:02 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Well you still got it wrong, it's a TX200, I chose it over the HW 77/97 because of the beautiful Walnut stock and checkering, I believe the HW guns are beech.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Well you still got it wrong, it's a TX200, I chose it over the HW 77/97 because of the beautiful Walnut stock and checkering, I believe the HW guns are beech.
    Haha! funny I can't get that straight. I should look more closely! I hope I did not offend.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I have a FWB124D since 1972 IIRC
    Beeman scope mount with a Bushnell Scopechief IV with solid rail on the bottom...purchased from Beeman w/the rifle
    has been to Bushnell once for repair......unbelievable but the still warranty the scope....over 40yrs old
    H&N pellets are the most accurate in mine up to 30yds
    Crosman 10.5gr domed pellets work out to 60 yds on Crows....further if you can get them to stand still
    last time I chrono'ed it ....800FPS with the heavy pellets

Boolit Master
    It doesn't offend me, but it is a world famous spring powered air gun, very well built, mine shoots the JSB 8.4 at 860 fps avg. and shoots very flat out to 40 yards or so, I have to get used to the pellet loading with my big fingers, as well as not cocking until you see your game. You don't want to weaken the spring by leaving it cocked for long. Hope that you enjoy yours.

Vendor Sponsor

OK, just for clarity and so there is no confusion doing a search, I went back and edited the error.

I shot the rifle at 25yds tonight and found it would hold the 1" black paster I use to sight in. Not much better than one inch at this point using either pellet, JBS or Beeman FTS but I think it is behaving much better than before. I will shoot a few tins as mentioned and enjoy the break in.

The heaver JBS printed much lower at 25y than I would have guessed. It will stay sighted for the FTS for the time being. I may try a different Bushnell scope on it too. One that can be adjusted closer. The one on it currently is OK but not the best.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 07-28-2015 at 08:04 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Of course one man'e "one hole group" is another man's scattergun. I've seen a well tuned springer consistently put a pellet through a 15 mm hole at about 50 yards+ to ring a bell target. I can do 20mm at 40 yards most of the time from a rested position or a fair bit of the time from standing. I'm not a great shot. It takes a lot of practice to get good but at a penny a shot you can practice a lot. It will carry across to powder burners.

You will probably find that your air rifle works best with pellets about 8 grains weight. The really heavy ones are not so good in springers.

Boolit Master
    It takes a lot of practice to get good but at a penny a shot you can practice a lot.
    Today's prices are more like 3 to 4 times that much. Most .177 tins I purchase are $15 -$16 and pellet count is 400 to 500. Just so happens the H& N Field Target Trophy ones are arond $16 for 500 and Pyramid Air has their buy 3 and get the fourth one free so even with shipping not bad. Still cheaper than center fire primers these days and there is no powder, no lead needed to cast Boolits, no cases to wear out and no cleaning supplies needed.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master
    I mentioned the JSBs in my TX200 but I will experiment, esp. with the H&N pellets, in all my diff. pellet guns (most are PCPs) hollowpoints and pointed pellets don't shoot worth a ****, esp. the Predator polymags, best are usually the good old dome type.

Leupold makes a scope called EFR. That stands for extended focus range. It has a AO that will adjust to about 10 yards. Most shooting is done at 10 meters. If you get the EFR it is Leupolds pellet gun scope. I have 2 mounted on springers, Beeman R1 and R7, never had any problems. I have blown up other brand scopes on my R1. You can't go wrong with a Leupold. Last weekend I was shooting Pepsi cans at 100 yards with my Air Arms S410 PCP .22 cal.
    I have a Leupold mounted on that gun too.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne